American Bass or FU Audio (or another that you'd recommend)?

rondvu

CLE
I've decided that I'm going to add a pair of subwoofers to my 2015 Honda Pilot and have narrowed down my options to these:

1) American Bass XD1044

2) American Bass VFL8

3) FU Audio FU300-10

I'm looking more for sound quality vs SPL (although a little SPL would be nice!!!). Have you used any of these in the past and had any issues?

I just got a pair of the FU Audio FU300-10 yesterday but need some time to test them and break them in before I give them a review. Initial impressions are that these are above average quality for their price range and the 300 WPC rating seems conservative based on the huge magnet size. I'll be comparing these to my Alpine SWS (newest versions) so stay tuned.

I will be testing one each with 500 watts RMS into 2 Ohms initially and then 350 Watts RMS and 300 Watts RMS all wired for 2 Ohms.

what amp u gonna use? how much $ u wanta spend? u can do 1 better 12 ported instead.. some of the fu's have had glue issues lately..
My plan is to get a Skar LP1000.1 and running two D4s to 1ohm.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

I just got a pair of the FU Audio FU300-10 yesterday but need some time to test them and break them in before I give them a review. Initial impressions are that these are above average quality for their price range and the 300 WPC rating seems conservative based on the huge magnet size. I'll be comparing these to my Alpine SWS (newest versions) so stay tuned.
I will be testing one each with 500 watts RMS into 2 Ohms initially and then 350 Watts RMS and 300 Watts RMS all wired for 2 Ohms.
Awesome!!! Looking forward to your review.

Last edited by a moderator:
just put your thumb on surround where it attaches to frame make sure it don't move.. if u hear a "rattle" went it's installed thats probably what it is..

I've decided that I'm going to add a pair of subwoofers to my 2015 Honda Pilot and have narrowed down my options to these:1) American Bass XD1044

2) American Bass VFL8

3) FU Audio FU300-10

I'm looking more for sound quality vs SPL (although a little SPL would be nice!!!). Have you used any of these in the past and had any issues?
Neither none are anywhere close to being SQ woofers. A pair of dayton HO 12s or 10s or will get you the sound quality you want. These are more sound quality oriented woofers that can get loud and do not need a huge ported box to do so. Heard a setup that had a 1.5 net cubic feet box tuned to 30hz that worked really well, gets loud as well but very good bandwidth, group delay and overall smooth undistorted bass.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-44-12-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-467

I'm planning to go ported, but can't go crazy with the enclosure since space is still needed (kids that play sports take up lots of room).
yeah just get 1 dayton 12 tuned 30-34 hz on that amp or 1 like it., sundown, twisted sounds, orion xtr 650 (probably does 800 or so), ppi p1k like mine.. u be pretty good with that..

Well I put one FU300 10" D4 DVC sub in an inexpensive Crutchfield Ported prefab box that has a gross volume of 1.4 cubic inches to give it a test run against my sealed and broken in Alpine SWS 12 DVC 4 ohm because I just couldn’t wait. Crutchfield says this box is tuned to 35 hz but you know how that goes. I ran this on my JBL 500 Watt RMS Amplifier at 2 Ohms for over an hour playing the Black Eyed Peas “The End” CD and Imagine Dragons Evolve.

The cone on this subwoofer right out of the box is stiff so this thing is going to need some break in time for sure. Initial impressions are that it sounds good right out of the box and the lower notes are strong especially for an unbroken in subwoofer. I was surprised that it sounded this good out of the box. After about an hour of playing with it, it started to loosen up a little and was hitting the lows slightly better than my 12" Alpine does in a 1 cu ft sealed box. It was also getting a little louder than my Alpine but that was subjective and if I'm right only slightly so and remember it’s in a ported box too. I switched the Alpine back and forth with the FU300 during the testing for my listening impressions. As far as sound quality goes, well I'm comparing the FU Audio 300 in a ported pre fab box to the Alpine in an ideal sealed box so it’s not really fair to say yet. Of course the Alpine has the better sound quality right now (also subjective) but again it’s not a fair comparison yet. The FU Audio had a little too much boom but with more low end extension and the Alpine was tight, composed, and just sounded well rounded. When playing “Don’t know what” and “Whatever it takes” I preferred the lower notes from the FU in the ported box but during the some of the drum kicks and lower bass guitar I like the Alpine better for this.

So what I plan to do next is compare this FU300 in the Crutchfield ported box to my other Alpine 10” SWS that is also in a 1 cu ft custom built ported box that is tuned to 35 hz to Alpine specifications. I will be using my 400 Watt RMS Alpine M 450 Amplifier for that testing in my Sienna van, the above testing was done in my CX5. I may also put the FU Audio sub into the same ported box that my 10” Alpine is in for a better apples to apples comparison. Please keep in mind that the FU Audio F300 subwoofer sells for $60 shipped to your door right now and for that price this is the most impressive 10” subwoofer that I have tried in that price range. I have a low powered entry level JL Audio 10” Wxv2 and an entry level MTX 10” subwoofer to compare it too and this FU300 has better sound quality and far more SPL than those subwoofers have. In fact the FU300 destroys the JL when it comes to low end extension. I have run both the JL and MTX in that same Crutchfield ported box with 220 Watts RMS pushing both of those.

To be honest, the price of the FU300-10s is it's biggest selling point. I'd love to go the Dayton Audio route, but not so sure that my budget would allow. Of course, I may wait til closer to Christmas, I mean it is around the corner, and see if Parts Express has any specials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive even been thinking about picking up 4 of the 300s with the price being so cheap right now.
Better think real hard and fast before they go back up again(the pricing). You know how that goes...

Got until the end of November.
Limited quantities, while they last lmao...I'll help you spend your $$ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.