American Bass 12" XFL sub locked

Hjbennett
10+ year member

History: gave my son the car with my sub and amp setup. 6months later he came home sub not hitting. Pulled enclosure from trunk and sub locked into position. Does not move at all. Possible causes? And can this be repaired? Estimates on repairs for different reasons? And lastly, cheaper to just purchase new or used sub?

History: gave my son the car with my sub and amp setup. 6months later he came home sub not hitting. Pulled enclosure from trunk and sub locked into position. Does not move at all. Possible causes? And can this be repaired? Estimates on repairs for different reasons? And lastly, cheaper to just purchase new or used sub?
AB does not have recone kits for it, you can buy a 3rd party recone kit from PSI recones or fixmyspeaker.com but It'll cost close to the same as you can get the sub new/used for. Your son most likely bumped it a little bit too hard and it clipped the signal. Or even if he bumps responsibly, the electrical system might have been weak and drained a bit causing voltages to drop and resulting in the amp clipping. Rebuilding, you'll have to be very meticulous or else you'll end up with a less then optimal repair job.

Yeah. He broke the plug off the bass control knob so I'm guessing he just turned up the gain on the amp. Anything to do with the clipped sub? Seems a waste to just toss it in the dumpster.

Yeah. He broke the plug off the bass control knob so I'm guessing he just turned up the gain on the amp. Anything to do with the clipped sub? Seems a waste to just toss it in the dumpster.
sell the motor for 20$ + shipping, some of the subwoofer builders on here might pick it up. Also list it on caraudioclassifieds.org and craigslist to speed things along.

ab DOES sell re cone kits for this sub.. who told you they dont?? xfl 1244 is $80 directly from bob. reconing is pretty simple. the only thing that is tedious is shimming the recone to sit perfect.

bob sells the old and new style re cones. call him directly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.