American Bass Elite E1244 review

Participant count
  • Participant list

1aespinoza
10+ year member

Got this sub less than 2 months ago at an awsome price. Had been wanting to try American Bass subs and this was it.
Looking through the specs sheet I found AB did not include box suggestions, but they did include Thiele Small Parameters. Punched in numbers on this application,
and these were the results.
American Bass Elite E1244 Box Specs.png
Screenshot_20231128-213355(1)~2.png

I was discouraged by the sarcophagus I had to build for this single 12, but I did have my nephew's ported 10" box laying around so, why not?
Screenshot_20231128-192307~2(1).png

The parameters are way off but I just wanted to hear the sub.
The sub sounded like it was missing the upper range, but it's lower range was playing quite nicely on the low power of the break in period. After 3 days I noticed the lower end sounded boomier and the upper range was blending better with the front stage. I cranked it and sure enough, it had loosened and I let her loose. The bass was punchy and the lows were not to be ignored. I did not have to reset the amp settings from the JL 13w5s I had in there right before this. One thing to note is that I did have to find the optimal placement to get these results. I have this on the back seat of an extended cab, so in a trunk I assume the performance will not be as pleasing.

20231210_165133.jpg

20231210_165642.jpg

IMO this box even though not to specs, is perfect for the sub. I found myself cycling through all the genres of my library and enjoying it all. I replaced the sub with an old DB Drive Platinum 2nd gen I have had for many years just to change it up. The DB is sorely lacking in comparison. Maybe it is the box is way too off specs for it but the AB is a winner.
This picture is a comparison of a Fosgate RFR3110, A.Bass E1244, DB Drive Platinum first generation.
20231210_172715.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad these aren't the $110 still or whatever they were a few years ago, I'd buy a couple for sure. Decent size motor, 3" coil, pretty strong cone / dust cap; of course at the near $200 they are now I'm less interested. I got one of these with a destroyed cone / surround for free, of course I grabbed it for the motor and maybe a future recone project. In person they are beefier than just seeing photos online, I expected a lot less until I actually seen one in person.

Too bad these aren't the $110 still or whatever they were a few years ago, I'd buy a couple for sure. Decent size motor, 3" coil, pretty strong cone / dust cap; of course at the near $200 they are now I'm less interested. I got one of these with a destroyed cone / surround for free, of course I grabbed it for the motor and maybe a future recone project. In person they are beefier than just seeing photos online, I expected a lot less until I actually seen one in person.
Yes, they are definitely beefy. I beat the snot out of this one to find it's limits and it took it rather well. For the abuse I put it through and the performance it gave I think the $200 price tag is definitely worth it. It is a midlevel sub that rattles your rearview yet plays well into the midbass spectrum. I did have to turn up the bass knob higher than usual but it did great overall. $110 would be a killer deal today. Oh how I miss the MAGA days.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...