Alternators-Newbie

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys whatsup iv been told that with the sound system i want its better to go with an HQ alternator than extra batteries. I have a 1999 F-150 extended cab lariat 4x4. 5.4L triton. I don't know if that matters but yes i do need to do more research and i don't wanna here complaints from yall cause I'm a newb. Just please suggest and help me find a good alternator for my truck.

Thanks you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

This is what i have found so far.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?category=5

If you are running under 2k watts rms @ 2ohms you can really just run a zero gauge big-3 install and a nice deep cycle battery under the hood for insurance.

No extra batteries..

No high output alternator..

Just a big-3 for voltage issues, and a nice D31 Optima to replace your stock battery.

Your stock alt is either a 110 amp or a 130 amp iirc meaning you have between 45 and 55 amps to run your system on the stock alt..

A clean 1,000 watt amp pulls around ~50 amps.

Therefor you don't need an alternator.

If you choose to go 1k watts rms or higher @ 1ohm you will need to upgrade your alternator. Then depending on your listening habits, you might need to add a battery depending on your voltage dropping issues, if you're having any.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.