Alternative to dsp

Participant count
  • Participant list

dailyrider123

Senior VIP Member
Ok guys, I'm kinda new to this so I have a few questions. First when is it necessary to get a dsp? And if I plan to run 4 6.5s a pair of 8s mids and three sets of tweeters, can I just get a pioneer 80prs and tune all this or do I need a dsp? Aren't dsp's just for extra fine tuning? And should I just delete the rear fill and put everything up front?

Ok guys, I'm kinda new to this so I have a few questions. First when is it necessary to get a dsp? And if I plan to run 4 6.5s a pair of 8s mids and three sets of tweeters, can I just get a pioneer 80prs and tune all this or do I need a dsp? Aren't dsp's just for extra fine tuning? And should I just delete the rear fill and put everything up front?
If your saying your new to this you should explain y all those speakers, you might be doing to much. Idy why so many people read this and not at least offer that advice. Sometimes i see a few hundred views and no answers but those same people expect advice when they ask questions

If your saying your new to this you should explain y all those speakers, you might be doing to much. Idy why so many people read this and not at least offer that advice. Sometimes i see a few hundred views and no answers but those same people expect advice when they ask questions
the reason for so many speakers, is i have a pretty big sub stage and want the front to keep up and sound good doing so.

the reason for so many speakers, is i have a pretty big sub stage and want the front to keep up and sound good doing so.

Im not a big audio head but if u say what car it is and explain better you Might Get good advice/answers. Theres a few people on here that help

ok I'm sorry its a 06 dodge durango and it'll have 4 15" subs in the back I plan on running one 6.5", one tweet, and one 8" mid ( in custom kick panels) per front side. one tweet in each a-pillar, and for the rear one 6.5"/tweet per back door pretty much just adding 8s and replacing all stock speakers with aftermarket so my question is. Is a dsp needed for this or can I adjust everything off a 80prs (if i can find one)? plan on grabbing two active capable 4 channels as well

you might want to refrain from helping the big boys on here if that's all you can offer.

ok I'm sorry its a 06 dodge durango and it'll have 4 15" subs in the back I plan on running one 6.5", one tweet, and one 8" mid ( in custom kick panels) per front side. one tweet in each a-pillar, and for the rear one 6.5"/tweet per back door pretty much just adding 8s and replacing all stock speakers with aftermarket so my question is. Is a dsp needed for this or can I adjust everything off a 80prs (if i can find one)? plan on grabbing two active capable 4 channels as well
OP, I was in your situation bro. Had an 80 prs but want to do a 3 way front setup with mids midbass and tweeter, Basically went active with the amps and ran it all on the 80 prs. Sh*t was severely lacking since the 80 prs is only 3 way capable meaning midbass tweeter and sub. You need 8 channels of control if you want to do mid, midbass, tweeter and sub.

Get a soundstream harmony dsp or ppi dsp88r, they are at 200 dollars and do everything you need them to do and basically did everything my 80 prs did but WAY better. 80 prs is VERY limited when it comes to more advanced setups.

80 prs crossovers are lmiited while the soundstream harmony are bandpass capable meaning you can choose a band anywhere from 20hz to 20khz with selectable slopes up to -48 db.

If you are serious about it, i'd recommend you get a dsp over the head unit to avoid headaches and disappointment.

you might want to refrain from helping the big boys on here if that's all you can offer.

OP, I was in your situation bro. Had an 80 prs but want to do a 3 way front setup with mids midbass and tweeter, Basically went active with the amps and ran it all on the 80 prs. Sh*t was severely lacking since the 80 prs is only 3 way capable meaning midbass tweeter and sub. You need 8 channels of control if you want to do mid, midbass, tweeter and sub.

Get a soundstream harmony dsp or ppi dsp88r, they are at 200 dollars and do everything you need them to do and basically did everything my 80 prs did but WAY better. 80 prs is VERY limited when it comes to more advanced setups.

80 prs crossovers are lmiited while the soundstream harmony are bandpass capable meaning you can choose a band anywhere from 20hz to 20khz with selectable slopes up to -48 db.

If you are serious about it, i'd recommend you get a dsp over the head unit to avoid headaches and disappointment.
ok so since I'm now convinced into buying one what do you think about a minidsp 6x8 vs. ppi88r vs. harmony?

ok so since I'm now convinced into buying one what do you think about a minidsp 6x8 vs. ppi88r vs. harmony?
mini dsp is the better quality one out of the bunch, get the 2x8 which means you only need one pair of rca inputs to it. You'll need to buy the software to run it to which is 10 dollars more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.