Alt? Batt? Or both?

Why would you want a system you couldn't play at full tilt?
Reread post #13

Never said he couldn't play full tilt. Just said if he didnt play full tilt 100% of the time ie, From startup of the vehicle he blasts the stereo full tilt, drives, gets to his destination (with the system still full tilt) then turns the car off (giving the alternator no chance in recharging the system)

Adding a H/O alt is great and all (b/c it doesnt hurt to add more power) but not necessary 100% of the time, especially in this scenario. There are plenty of guys out there with multiple batt setups running 1 alt and do just fine. 1 guy comes to mind thats a world record holder/IASCA champion.

The only reason I would add a h/o alt is to cut the recharge time shorter, which is why I have 4 mechman 270G amp alts. My batt bank recharges FAST, I still have voltage drop b/c I dont have enough batteries but with 4 alts, they recharge fast enough to demo pretty much all day.

Before I added the DC275 I could only go full power for 5-8 secs parked or 20-30 secs driving before voltage would drop below 12 (i always back off before i went below 12 volts) Now I can go full tilt driving with out dropping below 14volts. Most times I don't drop below 14.5.

I'm only running the kicker at 4 ohms right now and it's about the same as the saz1500 I had at 1ohm. But when get more subs I want to drop too 2 ohms then it will be nice to have extra alt on just the amps and the extra battery.

Before I added the DC275 I could only go full power for 5-8 secs parked or 20-30 secs driving before voltage would drop below 12 (i always back off before i went below 12 volts) Now I can go full tilt driving with out dropping below 14volts. Most times I don't drop below 14.5.I'm only running the kicker at 4 ohms right now and it's about the same as the saz1500 I had at 1ohm. But when get more subs I want to drop too 2 ohms then it will be nice to have extra alt on just the amps and the extra battery.
You probably didnt have a stout enough battery bank either. Once you upgraded the alt, the alt alone could handle the draw of the car/system. Adding batteries can do the same thing.....

I can't wait till I get a chance to install the DC dual alt bracket and just run the 275xp on amps while the factory alt just powers the truck
You're not gonna see a difference unless you plan to add more equipment. When you run a dedicated alt for the system, you'll notice your voltage will fluctuate (b/c the alt is only loaded down when the bass hits). Once you get to 2 or 3 extra alts dedicated to the system, you'll start to notice your engine will bog down everytime the bass hits. I couldn't stand that when I had my alts setup that way, now I have all 4 alts powering the vehicle and system.

Pipo's only running 1 alternator (for his 16v side) and he has 28k watts on tap....just saying. That's way more current than that 1 alt can handle and he demo's for days.
If its 16 volt its not a stock unless he has a military truck. All an alt does it charge batteries yes you can have 10 batteries off one alt but once the batteries die have fun letting your car run for 6 hours to refill or have 10 battery chargers. I'm guessing Pipo also does shows or events with his car off since he has stock alt. It depends on goals and setup but alt should come first unless you have a high power stock one like 200 amps then you can buy one but I had a stock 105 and it doesn't like other batteries.

If its 16 volt its not a stock unless he has a military truck. All an alt does it charge batteries yes you can have 10 batteries off one alt but once the batteries die have fun letting your car run for 6 hours to refill or have 10 battery chargers. I'm guessing Pipo also does shows or events with his car off since he has stock alt. It depends on goals and setup but alt should come first unless you have a high power stock one like 200 amps then you can buy one but I had a stock 105 and it doesn't like other batteries.
The point wasnt that it was stock or not, the point was that it was more current than the alternator could handle per NASTY08IMPALA statement. Nic Watts demo's with his car on and he has a stock alt 10 batts and 4 everest 5k's (at the time).... He would just stop to let the batteries recharge for roughly 20-30 minutes (after his bass boxing run) then would start the demo's again.

EDIT: The only reason he let it charge for that long was to get ready for his comp, plus he demo's for almost a whole minute per each person and would demo at least 5-6 ppl at a time. Thats full tilt for nearly 6 minutes on a stock alt from 4 5k's

In this case, it is not dire to add a H/O alt. Adding 2 additional batteries (assuming they are efficently enough ro help power the system) is perfectly fine, it will just take slightly longer to recharge batteries. If this is just a daily setup (which I'm assuming it is) there is no need for a H/O alt.

The point wasnt that it was stock or not, the point was that it was more current than the alternator could handle per NASTY08IMPALA statement. Nic Watts demo's with his car on and he has a stock alt 10 batts and 4 everest 5k's (at the time).... He would just stop to let the batteries recharge for roughly 20-30 minutes (after his bass boxing run) then would start the demo's again.
In this case, it is not dire to add a H/O alt.
Nick watts truck is sick I actually talked to him on the phone a couple times. That's cool and all but he was competing. OP has not stated he is competing or just a Daily. Not everyone wants to wait 30 minutes just to play a song, also depending on price one alt plus 5 batteries is "usually" cheaper for the same reaction but you can also play for hours

Nick watts truck is sick I actually talked to him on the phone a couple times. That's cool and all but he was competing. OP has not stated he is competing or just a Daily. Not everyone wants to wait 30 minutes just to play a song, also depending on price one alt plus 5 batteries is "usually" cheaper for the same reaction but you can also play for hours
I added more to my post.

He's an awesome guy, spoke to him in person a few times, and he gave me pointers here and there. I spoke to him briefly on FB. Def a guy who knows his shit.

Im im following correctly, im seeing that a h/o is not main priority but would be a good addition. A decent battery bank would work best for my application. And using toggles to control my amp turn ons so it wont use as much power on turn on.

Edit: my car is my daily driver. I will not be competing but maybe at a local show 1 or 2 times a year. And i generally like to play the stereo with the car running as i know that it helps the battery stay charged. This is just a hobby.

I added more to my post.
He's an awesome guy, spoke to him in person a few times, and he gave me pointers here and there. I spoke to him briefly on FB. Def a guy who knows his shit.
It seems to be his daily. His 140 amp alt could charge 2 very small agms but more than likely his alt will smoke up trying to keep up.

Im im following correctly, im seeing that a h/o is not main priority but would be a good addition. A decent battery bank would work best for my application. And using toggles to control my amp turn ons so it wont use as much power on turn on.
No its not a need but don't be mad when your car won't start because the batteries are drained. If you do plan on not running a new alt do not play your system for maybe the last 10 minutes of your ride so they can charge and your car will have sufficient power to start

In your case with your goals, yes, a H/O isn't necessary (but if added, you will benefit from the added power). Like I said before, the only reason to add a H/O would be to cut the recharge time shorter. If you purchase an alt that can handle the entire load be itself, then you wouldn't need an extra battery. It's cheaper for you to just add 2 more batteries instead of spending more money on a H/O. both will work, one is cheaper.

No its not a need but don't be mad when your car won't start because the batteries are drained. If you do plan on not running a new alt do not play your system for maybe the last 10 minutes of your ride so they can charge and your car will have sufficient power to start
I do not play my stereo the entire time i drive. I search for songs and will play for about 40 seconds at a time full tilt. Then the volume goes way down. Other than that i play at maybe half volume while im driving. Full tilt is maybe at a stoplight when peole try to challenge me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JeepWithLows

JeepWithLows
Turlock, Ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Silverado SS