Alt? Batt? Or both?

No its not a need but don't be mad when your car won't start because the batteries are drained. If you do plan on not running a new alt do not play your system for maybe the last 10 minutes of your ride so they can charge and your car will have sufficient power to start
That never happened to me when I had my D9's on my stock all. I played mine full tilt all the time. The only reason I could do that was b/c every weekend I recharged the batts. The batts are key here, not the alt. As long as the batts are recharged, the system is golden. The example has been set by Pipo and Nic Watts.

You have to be smart here and let your alt recharge the system. It's not going to take all day or as long as you might think. My Stock GM alt would have my 6 XS Power D3100 and 1 D3400 batts recharged enough to start my car the next day. I had that setup for nearly 8 months. Most of the time I recharged the batts during the weekend. Which I could tell how good my alt was recharging the batts by how fast the external charged would finish its charge (which only took 2-3 hrs). Now, with 4 alts, it takes like 5 minutes to recharge the batts with an extra d3100 (7 total / 1 d3400) and I have way more power now.

I keep editing this post lol

There was one time I let the system go for roughly 1 month before I finally put the system on my external charger and it took nearly the avg recharge time (8hrs) to recharge my batts bake to 100%.

In your case with your goals, yes, a H/O isn't necessary (but if added, you will benefit from the added power). Like I said before, the only reason to add a H/O would be to cut the recharge time shorter. If you purchase an alt that can handle the entire load be itself, then you wouldn't need an extra battery. It's cheaper for you to just add 2 more batteries instead of spending more money on a H/O. both will work, one is cheaper.
A XS 3100 is about 350$ an alt is about 400for what he needs maybe less. With a HO he will have more power and no faults. OP moral of the thread is buy both. Car audio isn't cheap and sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do it right if you want top results

I dont understand why you think it will smoke up?
It will be trying to charge everything. Your alt is not always making full amps just like an amp is not pulling all of its amps depending on what your playing. This also depends on vehicle and how the alt is controlled. There's a ton of variables as we all know but as I stated before for optimal audio get an alt and battery

That never happened to me when I had my D9's on my stock all. I played mine full tilt all the time. The only reason I could do that was b/c every weekend I recharged the batts. The batts are key here, not the alt. As long as the batts are recharged, the system is golden. The example has been set by Pipo and Nic Watts.
You have to be smart here and let your alt recharge the system. It's not going to take all day or as long as you might think. My Stock GM alt would have my 6 XS Power D3100 and 1 D3400 batts recharged enough to start my car the next day. I had that setup for nearly 8 months. Most of the time I recharged the batts during the weekend. Which I could tell how good my alt was recharging the batts by how fast the external charged would finish its charge (which only took 2-3 hrs). Now, with 4 alts, it takes like 5 minutes to recharge the batts with an extra d3100 (7 total / 1 d3400)
85% of people on this site don't recharge there batteries every week and did you ever take a 6 hour road trip and use your system? Did the car start? I'm off to work will respond when out

A XS 3100 is about 350$ an alt is about 400for what he needs maybe less. With a HO he will have more power and no faults. OP moral of the thread is buy both. Car audio isn't cheap and sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do it right if you want top results
He doesnt have to get XS power batts though.... duracell agm batts were suggested to him.

It will be trying to charge everything. Your alt is not always making full amps just like an amp is not pulling all of its amps depending on what your playing. This also depends on vehicle and how the alt is controlled. There's a ton of variables as we all know but as I stated before for optimal audio get an alt and battery
True, but with the added 2 batteries in the rear it will be fine.

85% of people on this site don't recharge there batteries every week and did you ever take a 6 hour road trip and use your system? Did the car start? I'm off to work will respond when out
4 Hrs from Valdosta,Ga to Augusta,Ga **** near full tilt the entire way there only to turn it down when changing song or seeing cops. truck started just fine.

100% of ppl let their alt charge their batteries though.

The OP did say he's not gonna play full tilt but every so often, so it wont take nearly as long for his stock alt to recharge his system.

This post was to get me some info as to what my priorities were on what to buy and on a budget. Ive heard singer makes great alts. And i know i cant afford to run xs batts. Way overpriced in my opinion

This post was to get me some info as to what my priorities were on what to buy and on a budget. Ive heard singer makes great alts. And i know i cant afford to run xs batts. Way overpriced in my opinion
If you are getting a H/O, I would go Mechman hands down. There are plenty of good AGM batts out there, you dont have to get XS power.

You're not gonna see a difference unless you plan to add more equipment. When you run a dedicated alt for the system, you'll notice your voltage will fluctuate (b/c the alt is only loaded down when the bass hits). Once you get to 2 or 3 extra alts dedicated to the system, you'll start to notice your engine will bog down everytime the bass hits. I couldn't stand that when I had my alts setup that way, now I have all 4 alts powering the vehicle and system.
I plan on getting higher power subs then drop ohms from 4 to 2ohms going from 1500 to 2500 watts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JeepWithLows

JeepWithLows
Turlock, Ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Silverado SS