Alpine X 12" Enclosure Recommendations

If you have to move up to 30 hz to shorten the port to fit it in, do that, instead of skimping on port area. You won’t have a flat signal even at 28. When I plotted this sub, I remember needing 21 hz to keep the low end from rising, which is nearly impossible design into a real world box. Just port it as low as you can.

I'm pushing it with a Kicker KX800.1. The spec sheet that came with it says it's pushing 907 watts RMS so it "should" match perfectly with the X. Any good custom box designers you know of in the Houston or Dallas area?.. or someone online to design it and I build it?
I've used PWK or Pete for a few boxes and although it is an added cost, his designs are good and he's knowledgeable.

JL while nice is also overpriced imho. There is a ton of subwoofer brands that are equal or better for the pricing.
Like who? I always read JL w6 w7 are great performers, i've never heard JL so I would have to try it out to know.

Problem is though most people beat the crap out of them, personally I wouldn't trust people on those sites but that is just me. Not unless I did a complete recone on it.
I mean i feel this way about subs in general, not just JL.

I would do 3 cubes at 28 hz with the type X. The w6 is more efficient ported than the type x, in terms of box size. That x wants to be in a big box tuned super low, with lots of port area. 40 sq inches or so. my opinion.
geese 3 cubes, I mean yea but you can get away with 1.5 cubes, it starts to get diminishing returns after that as it goes up in box size and only increases the bass extension by a little. But if you only have one sub and you can fit 3 cubes then why not.

Rear firing even if the box is pushed up against the rear seat? It won’t suffocate it too much?

Rear firing means sub and port both fire to the rear. That is the only meaningful way to get bass into the cabin if you are a noob with a trunk car.

The box should be positioned 4-6in from the rear of the trunk, not pushed forward aginst the rear seats. Without a loading wall in front of the port, you wont get much.

Technically, i wouldnt even run this sub ported. its just not efficient enough to flatten out the low end peaks in a ported enclosure. Cabin gain will make it even worse. Some people like that low end gain, but I personally like a flatter response.

Big shout out to @shredder2!!! Built the box he designed today, and the Alpine X is actually sounding the way I think it should. I might actually keep it lol.
616E0C27-50E8-460B-B6FC-8C1229675A73.jpeg
156C7ED4-211A-4F67-AF50-1BFA5643F1F0.jpeg
0BF0845D-A4A3-4121-821F-E084A6377794.jpeg
1DCA6CA0-CE20-4138-9719-ED0D5CF014DC.jpeg
B9AAB19B-FCC6-4C4B-84B1-4D09A0E3C476.jpeg

Built the box he designed today, and the Alpine X is actually sounding the way I think it should. I might actually keep it
Amazing what a little airspace, port area and configuration can do huh?
Now to fix the wired 2 ohm problem with that amp and power it right... there's some more in there

Nice work. Subs can still perform with them pushed that far back into the trunk? I always had mine 4"-6" away from the back if I can move mine that far back I can gain some grocery room.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.