Alpine Type R's ****

what? lol i dont understand...im gonna go unscrew one right now and take a pic
Lol were talking wiring. You can either run subs in parallel or series.

If your subs are D4 then you can run them down to 1 ohm or 4 ohms.

If they are D2 then you can either run them at 0.5 ohms or 2 ohms

They might be out of phase take a AA battery and disconnect your speaker wire from the amp and put the positive of the battery to the positive wire and same with the negitive. If they pop out or move inward at the same time you are good, If one pops out and the other moves inward you have them wired out of phase.
Doing this will cause no harm to your speakers.

Also you should verify what your final ohm load is with a Digital Volt Multi Meter, cost you about 10-20 bucks and a must have if you want to further yourself in this hobby.
solid advise

Lol were talking wiring. You can either run subs in parallel or series.
If your subs are D4 then you can run them down to 1 ohm or 4 ohms.

If they are D2 then you can either run them at 0.5 ohms or 2 ohms
dont bother with .5 on the alpine

Probably a wiring issue as others have mentioned but I can also tell you that the box is junk (easy give away since the terminals are"push fit" meaning they don't even have screws to hold them in place) and your power wiring isn't helping. Those subs will be as loud as just about anything else in a larger ported box and with more power. Seriously I've embarrassed a lot of people with those subs before so I know they aren't the problem here...

They might be out of phase take a AA battery and disconnect your speaker wire from the amp and put the positive of the battery to the positive wire and same with the negitive. If they pop out or move inward at the same time you are good, If one pops out and the other moves inward you have them wired out of phase.
Doing this will cause no harm to your speakers.

Also you should verify what your final ohm load is with a Digital Volt Multi Meter, cost you about 10-20 bucks and a must have if you want to further yourself in this hobby.
Thanks, I'll look into that. Where could I buy a digital volt meter? My car was fine before but now when i blast it my lights dim a little.

Probably a wiring issue as others have mentioned but I can also tell you that the box is junk (easy give away since the terminals are"push fit" meaning they don't even have screws to hold them in place) and your power wiring isn't helping. Those subs will be as loud as just about anything else in a larger ported box and with more power. Seriously I've embarrassed a lot of people with those subs before so I know they aren't the problem here...
Ok so I just unscrewed the sub (pain in the ***) from the box. I know the box is junk lol I hate the box so much, my boys prowedge is the same size and he has one 10" in it. It's a 4ohm sub and it looks like the wiring is correct

Here's a picture: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9985/img9562a.jpg

So I am assuming that

A. I change the wire

B. I get a better box

C. I get a new amp

Any suggestions on some wiring kits that would suit my subs well? All this electrical **** is mad confusing.

How should I go about getting a better box?

and...what amp should I use?

thanks for all the help guys

ok your subs should be wired to 4 ohm. so the amp is only giving them 300 or so a piece.

my advice turn bass boost off(i cant believe noone said this before) set your low pass filter to 80 hz and gradually turn the gain knob up until the stop getting louder, then turn it down a hair.

the battery trick as stated before will help u know if the subs are wired in phase correctly. if they pop in different directions reverse the speaker wire + and - on one of the subs.

your next problem is your amp wiring: power and ground should be at least 4 gauge

this is all assuming that both subs are wired the same. best bet take both of them out and make sure they are wired the same

your amp is fine for now but something like an audioque 1200 would be better this would require rewiring of the subs which would be simple ex: all the + together, all the - together to achieve a 1 ohm load.

hope this helps

oh and one more thing make sure your fuse is at least 80 amp under the hood because it probably isnt with 8 gauge wire and will seriously lime the power going to the amp if to is smaller than 80 amp. still dont think the 8 gauge is a good idea though(first upgrade power wire to 4gauge)

what a fail. i want spl so i buy a prefab sealed box, give two subs the power 1 of them wants, and blame the subs. doesnt even know what VC is, doesnt know what gauge wire he has.

Why not make a thread and ask, why is it not loud, is there anything i can do, instead of crying they ****?

what a fail. i want spl so i buy a prefab sealed box, give two subs the power 1 of them wants, and blame the subs. doesnt even know what VC is, doesnt know what gauge wire he has.
Why not make a thread and ask, why is it not loud, is there anything i can do, instead of crying they ****?
kinda agree.

I have had two type R's before running 1200rms (legit possibly more) and even in sealed (before i built a box) they pounded pretty good, obviously wasnt flexing or anything but I could never see **** in my rear view mirror when I had them up even about half way or so.

sound quality on the otherhand was terrible

but anyways. You need double the power, a better box, and proper wiring, 8 gauge is good for what like 60 amps? 1200watts/12v = 100 amps. So even if you were properly powering these with 1200 watts you would still be fucked without at least 4 gauge

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone is ******* retarded. I did ask why it wasn't loud. I did ask what I could do. I did know what VC is, and I DID state what gauge wire I had.

Why not go back to school, learn how to read and comprehend, and then come back and make a post that has some sort of credibility.

I got the bass boost off and the LP filter is around 75 hz and the gain is about halfway between normal and double. I'll have to get another amp.

EDIT: I looked at the AQ1200D, it's pretty cheap. I thought an amp with that much power would cost a lot more. My amp cost almost 800 retail...what a ripoff.

Thanks a lot guys. Except for that one piece of ****.

EDIT2: to winkychevelle...I was looking at another amp (Hifonics HFi1500D) and I saw it was 1500W at 1 ohm. It's pretty cheap online too. All I would have to do is wire it parallel, and it will make a 1 ohm load? Thanks

-Bad wiring

-Unknown VC config

-Sealed box

-Not enough power

Wondering why its not loud? Yeah, sounds exactly like you know what you're doing.

Bigger amp. Proper wiring. Ported box (Tuned to ~32-34hz ... If you tune really low, you're going to be disappointed with the output). Know the VC config so you can buy the right amp and wire them correctly.

Herp a derp.

Are you running the amp with the settings in the pic??

IF you are, it looks to me that the gain and xo are set the the min. setting....

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Oh ya, for who ever installed the amp with that wiring....

this is for you

motivatorc425ed50973eed198337ed5b715fc1b1b151eca9.jpg

-Bad wiring-Unknown VC config

-Sealed box

-Not enough power

Wondering why its not loud? Yeah, sounds exactly like you know what you're doing.

Bigger amp. Proper wiring. Ported box (Tuned to ~32-34hz ... If you tune really low, you're going to be disappointed with the output). Know the VC config so you can buy the right amp and wire them correctly.

Herp a derp.
I guess you are retarded too. I know the VC config, you dumb motherfucker. Read the posts. I guess you just read the first one and decided to make a reply.

Herpity derp derp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.