im strapping 2 amps, but how do i wire the subs?

You would wire subs to just 1 of the amps. What ohm is the amps stable at when strapped? I would assume 2ohm? What ohm are the subs.[/Q]
the amps are 1ohm stable each, so i assume 2ohm? i believe the subs are 2 ohm each.

would it make a difference if i wired each sub individually to each amp? or would it be better if i wired both to the same amp? the reason for the question is because each amp is 1ohm stable. but the subs are 2ohm stable. if 2 amps make it 2ohm stable, would the subs be 4ohm total. so it would be like wiring a 4ohm sub to a 2ohm amp? if my calculations are right, i would be getting 400 watts per sub? im really new at this, so please help me out. i have no clue

well, i don't think you are going to notice a difference at all. you would be looking at strapping, if you are trying to get the most output out of one sub with 2 amps, or 2 sincle voice coil subs and wiring them separately puts the ohms too high. for instance, if you have 1 dual 4ohm sub, and your 2 amps. 4ohms to each amp is not going to get you even 1/2 the potential power, but you can strapp the amps together, which would make them 2ohm stable, since they are 1ohm stable each, and you can wire the sub to 2ohms, then you would be getting the full potential. when you have 4 coils, and the ability to wire them so that each amp is sending the same amount of power to each sub, wether or not they are strapped, the safest thing to do is to run them separate. there is more to strapping, than just the rcas. they have to be ballanced and synced both on the input signal, and on the output, via jumpers, and that leaves many more points where it can fail and take the whole system out. just as you have it, the rcas, and bass knobs can sync the amps in tune, so they put out the same in a pair. all you need to worry about is distribution blocks for the power/grounding, and that your car can supply enough current. if you cannot supply enough current to feed both, then you would actually put out more power and get louder off one amp, then both being starved. another way around it, other than running one amp, is to wire the subs up to higher ohms, and the amps will not draw as much power, and you will, once again, pick up efficiency and output off the same power supply. how big is your alternator(s)? batteries?

That kx model amps aren't 1ohm stable. They do full power at 2ohm. I've heard of people running them at 1ohm but by spec they are not 1ohm stable. And as previously stated you aren't strapping them together your just running an amp to each woofer. Sounds more like Daisy chaining is what your referring to.

Strapping them is great if they are from different years because gain matching is nearly impossible with Kicker amps. Each birth sheet is just up to 200w different so strapping the KXs (what we did on mine) is a way to assure you are matching output to both subs. I'll take a pic of mine this evening and load it up. It's 2 KX1200.1s strapped and 2 2ohm Solo Xs so everything should be identical

well, i don't think you are going to notice a difference at all. you would be looking at strapping, if you are trying to get the most output out of one sub with 2 amps, or 2 sincle voice coil subs and wiring them separately puts the ohms too high. for instance, if you have 1 dual 4ohm sub, and your 2 amps. 4ohms to each amp is not going to get you even 1/2 the potential power, but you can strapp the amps together, which would make them 2ohm stable, since they are 1ohm stable each, and you can wire the sub to 2ohms, then you would be getting the full potential. when you have 4 coils, and the ability to wire them so that each amp is sending the same amount of power to each sub, wether or not they are strapped, the safest thing to do is to run them separate. there is more to strapping, than just the rcas. they have to be ballanced and synced both on the input signal, and on the output, via jumpers, and that leaves many more points where it can fail and take the whole system out. just as you have it, the rcas, and bass knobs can sync the amps in tune, so they put out the same in a pair. all you need to worry about is distribution blocks for the power/grounding, and that your car can supply enough current. if you cannot supply enough current to feed both, then you would actually put out more power and get louder off one amp, then both being starved. another way around it, other than running one amp, is to wire the subs up to higher ohms, and the amps will not draw as much power, and you will, once again, pick up efficiency and output off the same power supply. how big is your alternator(s)? batteries?
speaking of power distributors, i bought one by tsunami that is 1/0g in and (2) 4gauge out. however, the package says "ground--->amp". can i run my power wire from there to my amps? did i just missunderstand it?

^^^^^ I seriously think you need to get someone to help you on this build, seems your in a little over your head.

As stated above, it would most likely be better to run a sub to each amp and forget the strapping part.

Strapping is an advantage usually if you are using just one sub.

GL with this, I sincerly hope your equipment survives and runs optimally

^^^^^ I seriously think you need to get someone to help you on this build, seems your in a little over your head.As stated above, it would most likely be better to run a sub to each amp and forget the strapping part.

GL with this, I sincerly hope your equipment survives and runs optimally
im getting some mixed answers, now im confused

so this is what i plan on doing:

1: replace my 4gauge power cable with a 1/0 amp kit

2: run each amp together on the same 1/0 wire and use a distributor block to run them together.

3: from output of amp 1, wire an RCA to input of amp 2.

4. wire both subs together to amp 1. (positives from both subs to positive amp) ,(negative of each sub to negative of amp)

1. yes, definately

2. yes, use 0ga if the amps accept that size. otherwise 4 ga will suffice. as short a wire as possible after it's split into 2.

3. yes follow the directions from the manual if you have one. amp #1 should have a switch set to master and amp #2 should be switched to slave.

4. wire your subs like it says in the manual... which you have of course, right?

Now the amps on there own are stable at 1ohm, so strapping them in essence makes the combo 2ohm stable, this is exactly what you need with the 2ohm DVC 15's you have, they will achieve a 2ohm final load if wired like the diagram that is second from the top. here is the link.

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, Two 2 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speakers

now I hope this helps you out some, if you have the bass knob plug it into amp#1 that is set/switched to master and also set the x-over and subsonic on this amp as it controls the second. let us know how you make out.

1. yes, definately2. yes, use 0ga if the amps accept that size. otherwise 4 ga will suffice. as short a wire as possible after it's split into 2.

3. yes follow the directions from the manual if you have one. amp #1 should have a switch set to master and amp #2 should be switched to slave.

4. wire your subs like it says in the manual... which you have of course, right?

Now the amps on there own are stable at 1ohm, so strapping them in essence makes the combo 2ohm stable, this is exactly what you need with the 2ohm DVC 15's you have, they will achieve a 2ohm final load if wired like the diagram that is second from the top. here is the link.

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, Two 2 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speakers

now I hope this helps you out some, if you have the bass knob plug it into amp#1 that is set/switched to master and also set the x-over and subsonic on this amp as it controls the second. let us know how you make out.
thanks for the advice! some people have told me to wire each sub individually into each amp, how would this make a difference. also, if have to double check if they are 2 or 4 ohm. assuming they turn out to be 4 ohm, how would i wire them? what sound difference would there be? i wanna thank everyone who posted in this thread for their input.

That is only one of the reasons behind amp strapping. Others include gain matching and load sharing (one in the same) which, like I stated is nearly impossible on hand built (or non-regulated which KX series Kickers fall into this category) amps. Don't push him away from this as it is a great asset built into many amps that isn't utilized. It isn't any more complicated than wiring each amp separately, and if I quit being lazy and get the camera from my wife I can show him a pic to clarify.

I will get you pics tomorrow evening as now that it's dark I don't think I can get a quality pic for you.

If it is 4ohm, you'll just end up with a 4ohm final load, essentially using less than half of the amp. May not be a ton of power, but the amp will be in complete control of the subs and will be giving a crystal clear, non clipped signal (assuming you set the gain correct). If they are 2ohm you really won't lose any sub control or signal quality from that KX amp, you'll just be able to safely utilize more of it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.