Alpine Type R's ****

flossin

I recently picked up a pair of brand new 12" type R's in a sealed box, and I got them hooked up to a MRP-m850. I've been reading all these stories and reviews on how type r's are "too loud" and "shake the block", yet they are honestly so weak it's not even funny. Maybe there's something wrong with my wiring? I try to put it real loud (I like to "feel" the bass) but then the subs start making these cracking sounds if you open the trunk and inspect. I thought these subs could handle loads of power? I was so disappointed.. my boys ProWedge 13w10 takes a dinosaur sized dump all over my 2 12" any day of the week, and he doesn't even put it as loud as he can.

What could be the problem? I can take pictures of the whole setup if that would help.

-sealed box=fail for SPL-you can give them alot more power than that.

-what is the VC configuration on the subs?
Sorry, kinda have no idea what VC configuration means. I know that the sealed box is a no go, trying to see if I can get a custom ported box tuned real low. But if I can give them a lot more power, then how come when I try to turn them up a bit they start distorting?

Sorry, kinda have no idea what VC configuration means. I know that the sealed box is a no go, trying to see if I can get a custom ported box tuned real low. But if I can give them a lot more power, then how come when I try to turn them up a bit they start distorting?
what that is is cliping. it means that your amp is trying things that it should not. DO NOT TURN YOU AMP UP TO THAT POINT. it will ruin your amp and or subs.

VC configuration is: voice coil configuration. I am asking what ohm your subs are.

What is their voice coils? Are they dual 4 or dual 2? What do you have them wired to?

Ah the second you said configuration it threw me off. I have no idea which voice coil the subs are. I really do not know, I picked these off my friend. I just texted him and asked him, but I'm assuming there is no way to know that unless I bought them myself, correct?

My power wire is kind of small, (it looks like it's 8 gauge) could that be a problem as well?

Would taking a picture of my whole wire setup give you guys a good idea of what I'm working with?

Ah the second you said configuration it threw me off. I have no idea which voice coil the subs are. I really do not know, I picked these off my friend. I just texted him and asked him, but I'm assuming there is no way to know that unless I bought them myself, correct?
My power wire is kind of small, (it looks like it's 8 gauge) could that be a problem as well?

Would taking a picture of my whole wire setup give you guys a good idea of what I'm working with?
the picture could help. you can find out the VC by looking at the bottom of the subs. yes the 8 gauge is a problem too

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif...tbh, you shouldnt have subs until you know what your doing
lol shutup, if i bought the system from a dealer I'd know exactly what I was doing, I just got this whole setup real cheap. I didn't really know that when it comes down to it, what you pay for is what you get. brb saving up for 5000$ sub setup

pictures coming in a sec

Ok so I took some pictures:

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9297/img7003k.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5254/img7942a.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8086/img0240xq.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/690/img3487gz.jpg

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/5127/img5440a.jpg

One of my friends did all the wiring on the outside. I received the whole setup with the subs already in the box..perhaps they're wired incorrectly on the inside? Should I go screw one of the subs out and check out the ohms and take a picture of the setup in there?

They might be out of phase take a AA battery and disconnect your speaker wire from the amp and put the positive of the battery to the positive wire and same with the negitive. If they pop out or move inward at the same time you are good, If one pops out and the other moves inward you have them wired out of phase.

Doing this will cause no harm to your speakers.

Also you should verify what your final ohm load is with a Digital Volt Multi Meter, cost you about 10-20 bucks and a must have if you want to further yourself in this hobby.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.