Alot of Newby questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

itsblown
10+ year member

why is there smoke?
Toledo OH
Well this is my first thread post on here and I'm extremely new to car audio and Hope you guys take an easy on me but there's some questions I have been pondering the answer to for a while

1. If you have a 30 watt rms speaker and you give it 30 watts will it sound louder than a 60watt rms speaker given 30 watts.

2. Why is it that bigger speakers play lower notes and lower speakers play lower notes?

3. does 2 ohm compared to 4 ohm change sound quality at all or effect loudness?

4. If you have a head unit putting out 17 watts a channel playing all 4 speakers then amp up 2 of the speakers the head unit was originally playing is the head unit now putting out more power to the 2 speakers its amping up.

5. Why must I consistently blow speakers?

6. whats the purpose of life?

1. If you have a 30 watt rms speaker and you give it 30 watts will it sound louder than a 60watt rms speaker given 30 watts.
In theory, power ratings on any particular speaker is a thermal rating meaning it can handle the amount of heat generated when X amount of watts are passed through it's coil. In practice, many companies abuse this number as there's no real oversight to how a speaker should be tested. Realistically, I wouldn't worry much about matching the wattage sticker on a speaker to an amp.

2. Why is it that bigger speakers play lower notes and lower speakers play lower notes?
Go pound your fist against a wall. Makes quite a boom right? The greater surface area helps to literally grip the air an move it. Bass is created in a car by pressurizing the cabin meaning moving a lot of air. If you're playing a 45hz tone, a larger woofer will be moving more air per stroke than say a 4" mid. They'll both be producing the tone, it's just the bigger woofer moves more air so you can hear/feel it. You can hear bass in your headphones right? Those aren't exactly big speakers now are they? But since they don't have to move anywhere near the same amount of air required to fill a living room with bass, they can be much smaller.

Only on paper. Most people will not be able to tell the difference in an A-B blind test.

4. If you have a head unit putting out 17 watts a channel playing all 4 speakers then amp up 2 of the speakers the head unit was originally playing is the head unit now putting out more power to the 2 speakers its amping up.
Doesn't work like that. It's a use it or lose it type deal as each channel (you have 4 ch) of the HU's tiny amp cannot be combined with the others to increase power.

Overpowering them. You can do this by using amplifiers whose power far exceeds the thermal limitations of the woofer -or- you are raising the average power going to the woofer through LOUD buttons, Bass Boosts, EQs, too much gain, too much volume and are exceeding the thermal limitations of the woofer that way. By exceeding the limitations of the amplifier, HU or not, you're still raising the Average power sent to the speaker and introducing distortion. So not only are you heating the speaker more, you're limiting its ability to cool itself by sending it a distorted signal. In addition, playing your system at 10:10ths on a long cruise is hard on speakers. Much like your car would overheat if you redlined it for an hour, speakers can do the same thing.

Hookers, hot rods, and hard alcohol

1. sensitivity of the speakers will moreso tell how loud and how it will perform on lower wattage

2. simply put, more surface area therefore much easier to hit lower notes since youre moving more area. (a good box can fix this though)

3. i dont think so but not completely sure.....i've never noticed a difference though

4.nope its gonna do the same power it was doin to the others

5. clipping, overpowering, POS speakers...

6. Big Booty Hoes

Well this is my first thread post on here and I'm extremely new to car audio and Hope you guys take an easy on me but there's some questions I have been pondering the answer to for a while
they will be the same unless one speaker has a larger cone area, more motor force or more linear excursion.

larger speakers have more cone area and linear excursion which is what moves the air, they also usually have more motor force which will move the cone with more authority the stronger it is

some people will claim they can but I think its psychological. I have run 1-8ohm speakers and could never tell a difference or pick a certain ohm while blindfolded

no, to amp the speakers, you have to bypass them from the headunit so they wont be recieving the headunits power.

clipping via improperly matched gains, using bass boost or voltage drop

weed pu$$y and food but not in that order

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.