All I want is a free custom stereo system...

fireslave
10+ year member

NY
So, I have a 2000 honda civic with a completely stock sound system. About a year ago I got an iPod and immediately wanted to hook it up to my car. Being a cheapskate and a computer science major, I figured that if I ripped out the radio and googled enough chip numbers, I'd find the audio processor. Anyways, I traced the super tiny audio processor chip pins with a multimeter and found some slightly larger connections for the ROUT and the LOUT pins, which I assumed would be the analog signal that we're all familiar with. So all I had to do was soldier these pins, as well as a ground, and I figured it would work.

It did, actually. It also required me to insert a silent cd (as in, 70 minutes of silent 'audio'). However, the connections were pretty crappy on account of the pins being too tiny and my iron being too big. About a month ago, I lost audio on one side of my car with the MP3 player, so I figured I should try and fix it. But, I ended up screwing it up good this time.

So, I have the remainder of the radio, which should work fine. The only piece that I messed up was the cd unit, which is a separate little metal thingamajoo and board that connects to the remainder of the radio with this little 14 pin thing that makes contact when the cd unit is installed. I know which 3 pins on this thing are the left channel analog, right channel analog, and the ground. However, since my previous incarnation required the use of a silent CD, I know that something else must happen with the other pins to tell the radio to play the signal from the CD and not from the AM or FM or whatever. Also, since the faceplace connects to the main radio board and not the cd players board, all that button pressing for skipping tracks (not volume, though) must be sent through these things as well.

I figure the chance of me finding information on this is pretty slim, but maybe someone is familiar with it.

So, this leaves me with an AM/FM tuner and nothing more. Ahhh!!!

I also assume that at some point in this electronic hoobajoo, there is another analog signal that I might be able to tap in to, which is of course one of the other analog signals that get amplified, the signal from the antenna.

Unfortunately, I know jack-**** about this. I know it must be really weak, and therefore I assume that at some point it probably gets amplified to about the same level as the CD player signal -slash- my ipods signal, which seemed remarkably similar to the audio decoder chips signal if I set the volume to about 90 percent.

So, this radio signal comes from the antenna, and therefore, must come into the back of the radio through the 20-pin connection that is the radios only connection to the car. (Except this little round plug that I don't recognize specifically, but I assume is power). But, the only diagram i've found of it is this one:

http://s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=321210

and, I don't even know what all those things mean... also, I'm not even 100% sure my pins are identical to the s2000's pins...

Does anyone know about this mysterious radio signal?

So, I kinda have a feeling that I'm not going to be successful by using an old headphone cable to hijack the audio before the amp, especially since I don't even know where the amp is (it looks like a bunch of tiny electric **** to me).

In this case, I've got a stock radio that I can rip apart for parts. I could definitely cut off the 20 pin connector for the back of the radio and soldier it to whatever the hell I want, the pins are nice and big in this case.

Now, this is where I assume some of you may actually be able to help me. I don't know a lot about car audio specifically, but I assume that my weak little stock honda system (it gets the job done just fine for a cheapskate) has 100% of the amplification built right into the head unit. I say this because when I turn the volume up for a long time, the head unit gets surprisingly hot, as does the CD. Now I saw that there are four channels of output, Left-Front Right-Front Left-Rear Right Rear. This makes sense, because those are the locations of my speakers (I also have two tweeters, one of which is blown i think, but whatever).

These four channels all have a + and a -, but I assume the negative is just the standard ground, because I don't know what else it would be, but maybe you guys do.

Anyways, If I could figure out this plug stuff, I could probably just use any old amplifier, get a cable to convert a 3.5mm jack into those red and white ones, and then just send the outputs to the right places. This would mean that id have to control everything with my ipods controls, but I did that before, and thats fine by me.

I guess one simple question is: Can I just have an amplifier in my car and then be able to play any source the amp can receive? I assume this is true, but again, I don't know anything about car audio... Mostly, i wonder if those four channels that my honda plug apparently wants are the same kind of signals I could get out of a cheap amplifier.

Maybe then I could just have a little button to switch from my now crippled AM/FM non-cd radio to 3.5mm iPod sweetness.

But I don't know.

Maybe I'll just BUY a proper radio. But I'd feel lame if I didn't engineer at least one aftermarket company out of some dollars...

idk bout all that maybe just a aftermarket radio would suit you. Regardless or ur mission to make that work I would save the hassel and get a aftermarket radio. Even if you dont have the money now save and get one. Much better choice I'd say. Plus where are you located in NY?

I live in this shitty town called Jamestown, nowhere near NYC, btw (though I might be moving there soon) becase everyone asks that.

And I'm really really cheap. Also I'm a computer science major so I LIKE the hassel.

I've seen some decent head units that can receive MP3 input, but since I have no real desire for anything but mp3 input, if I can do this with just an amp and then replace my double din with a custom fiberglass/aluminum storage place and ipod holder, then Id actually prefer to have no radio, just so people will ask me WTF? and then I can explain how awesome and cheap I am...

Yeah you are like 3 1/2 hours SouthWest of me, but any way if ur willing to go that route then best of luck to you. I have no clue how to help you with that situation at all. If you do decide to buy a deck get an Alpine. They have head units dedicated to the iPod. Which you were saying that is how you want it just iPod use only. The deck does not play cd's, but its in the exact area of what you would like and looking for. I have a buddy that could possibly help you with that, but I'm not calling him at 2 in the morning for this answer. I will have him jump on tomorrow maybe he can help you more.

Yes you can tap into the pre amp on the factory deck, but it sounds like you would screw it up anyway. Headunits arent that complicated, but a simple fm modualtor would get you ipod to work with your head unit and any other head unit out there. With no wire to connect.

If you really don't want to buy a new HU. You will have to buy a 3.5mm (minijack) to stereo RCA cable as well as RCA splitters. This will go from your ipod to a four-channel amplifier. You'll have to reroute your speaker wires straight to your aftermarket amp though. It will work, you might have to find a good line driver to boost the signal though.

Yeah you are like 3 1/2 hours SouthWest of me, but any way if ur willing to go that route then best of luck to you. I have no clue how to help you with that situation at all. If you do decide to buy a deck get an Alpine. They have head units dedicated to the iPod. Which you were saying that is how you want it just iPod use only. The deck does not play cd's, but its in the exact area of what you would like and looking for. I have a buddy that could possibly help you with that, but I'm not calling him at 2 in the morning for this answer. I will have him jump on tomorrow maybe he can help you more.
If all else fails, this one seems legit...

http://www.ugotadeal.com/product_info.php?products_id=4721&ref=froogle

But i still think an amp with a 3.5mm input and a speaker level output would be cheaper. Especially if I can re-use the plug off the back of my radio and save the 20 bucks of rape i'd probably have to endure for a vehicle-specific adapter. I can push the buttons on the ipod myself easily enough, especially if I mount it firmly in a legit spot.

Also, the ipod dock connector protocol is available on the net, hence the existence of all those ipod accessories with buttons that do things such as these:

http://ipodlinux.org/Apple_Accessory_Protocol#iPod_Remote_.28Mode_2.29

so if I really needed to have buttons on my actual car all i'd need to to is program a embedded chip to talk to the ipod...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.