Aftermarket Deck with Factory Amplified System

james33440
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
FL
I finally convinced my wife to let me change the audio in our 2003 Navigator. I am not going to do anything big because it's our family vehicle. Actually, I am just replacing the deck and adding some tv's for now.

I bought a Clarion MAX675VD and some 7" screens in the headrests with the matchign Parchment leather. The deck includes the wiring harness.

The Navigator has the Premium Sound stereo and I found on the net that I may need this...

http://www.cardomain.com/item/MET705512?vq_id=none

This adapter allows you to replace the Ford radio and retain the factory Premium Sound amplifier.

So, would I need this along with the actual wiring harness?

There are a wide variety of Ford premium systems, but I'm pretty certain your Navigator doesn't use that particular plug. My guess is that in your vehicle the door speakers are still amplified by the head unit, but there is an 8" subwoofer with its own amplifier. If you pull the head unit and post a picture of the factory plugs we can find you the right adapters.

There are a wide variety of Ford premium systems, but I'm pretty certain your Navigator doesn't use that particular plug. My guess is that in your vehicle the door speakers are still amplified by the head unit, but there is an 8" subwoofer with its own amplifier. If you pull the head unit and post a picture of the factory plugs we can find you the right adapters.
It was like that in the older Navigators with the MACH system (or equivalent). However, the newer (03 and up) Navigators have a more robust sound system, which uses amplifiers for the system IIRC.

So, does anyone know for sure?

I don't really want to spend the time to remove radio to look. But I may have to.

factory systems, especially those with "premium" amps are hot garbage. All it does it makes putting aftermarket stuff in even more difficult.
Yes, and no. In some newer cars, you don't have an option anymore to go without an amp, even the most basic factory stereo available can still have an amplified 10+ speaker system.

factory systems, especially those with "premium" amps are hot garbage. All it does it makes putting aftermarket stuff in even more difficult.
In my Acura the amplified system makes my mids and highs LOUD as compared to what they would sound like with just deck power. I am very impressed with the output this added deck gives my mids and highs.

No downside for me luckily //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Otherwise, can't I just splice the wires for the factory amp if the provided wire harness that I am getting with the Clarion MAX675VD isn't enough?

For those of you who don't know, I bought the deck with the wiring harness and dash kit from SonicElectronix.

I am wanting to see how this sounds with the factory speakers and sub before I spend the $$$ on aftermarket amps and speakers.

Besides, my wife doesn't want anything like mine. She actually loved the factory sound. I just wanted a better deck. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well, I took my radio out earlier and here is a link to someone on eBay selling a harness that is identical to what I need. At least, that's what it looks like....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110024886613&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D110024886613%26fvi%3D1

Can I just splice the wires together without the harness and have no problems? It all depends on whether or not the harness I get with my deck from Sonicelectronix is right or not....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.