Advice Please

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jmd5682

NC
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the whole car audio thing, and need help and advice. I currently have a system in my truck. My set up is:

Head Unit: Pioneer Avh-x1600dvd

Door Speaker Alpine SPR 68c

Amp Alpine MRP-M500(300watts RMS@4ohms / 500 @ 2ohms

Sub: Kicker Comprt dual voice coil 2ohm 10inch 600 rms / 1200 peak

My question is this. I currently have the sub wired at 4ohms due to is being a dual voice coil and my amp isn't 1 ohm stable. Now according to the specs of the amp it puts out 300 rms when the sub is wired for 4 ohms. If I set my gain higher causing it to input more than 300, what damage will it do to my sub or amp. My sub can handle 600 at 4 ohms.

Thanks for you help.

Thanks You for your time. So I am better off just going ahead and getting new amp then huh. Is there any you would recommend im not looking to spend much but I want something that is reliable, puts out what it advertises and inexpensive. Plus I am limited on space due to my set up being in my truck

If it sounds good it is good. All things being equal, running at higher impedance is much easier on the amp and will sound marginally better. If you're happy with the output just keep everything as/is, if you need more output consider a D4 ohm or D1 ohm woofer.

It is very unlikely that you can break that sub with that amp at 4 ohms.

If you want a better / stronger amp. There are a few in the classifieds here but if your trying to more out put from your system . Possibly a better box might be a better option or a d4 sub

If it sounds good it is good. All things being equal, running at higher impedance is much easier on the amp and will sound marginally better. If you're happy with the output just keep everything as/is, if you need more output consider a D4 ohm or D1 ohm woofer.
It is very unlikely that you can break that sub with that amp at 4 ohms.
dude dont tell noobs that its unlikely to break a sub off an amp. Subs can die off less. Someone might see that and be like well if it wont die I'll just crank everything up.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

I'd go for a new sub. cheaper and easier.

dude dont tell noobs that its unlikely to break a sub off an amp. Subs can die off less. Someone might see that and be like well if it wont die I'll just crank everything up. 

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

I'd go for a new sub. cheaper and easier.

And if you're dedicated enough to break a 600W sub with 300W of power you're a complete arsehole. ... but whatever. OP never even said he's unhappy or he is having problems and the first post was trying to sell him new equipment because he'll clip his amp harder at 4 ohms. What a load of malarkey. ******* have at it.

And if you're dedicated enough to break a 600W sub with 300W of power you're a complete arsehole. ... but whatever. OP never even said he's unhappy or he is having problems and the first post was trying to sell him new equipment because he'll clip his amp harder at 4 ohms. What a load of malarkey. ******* have at it.
OP is not the only who reads this. Someone else may take that info and just run with. Myself I like to make sure the info I hand out is accurate and not going to cause someone problems in the future. Unlikely to break something is the complete opposite of what tends to happen when someone is "new to the whole car audio thing" and is doing stuff themselves.

OP is not the only who reads this. Someone else may take that info and just run with. Myself I like to make sure the info I hand out is accurate and not going to cause someone problems in the future. Unlikely to break something is the complete opposite of what tends to happen when someone is "new to the whole car audio thing" and is doing stuff themselves.
Go ahead and try to break that sub with the amp he is using running 4 ohm. Both brands are honestly rated and it is very difficult to break a woofer with only of it's rated continuous power. You could possibly do it on a bet, but you'd have to really try. Have you ever seen or heard of anybody burning a coil on a woofer at HALF rated power, assuming it's an honestly rated product?

Go ahead and try to break that sub with the amp he is using running 4 ohm. Both brands are honestly rated and it is very difficult to break a woofer with only of it's rated continuous power. You could possibly do it on a bet, but you'd have to really try. Have you ever seen or heard of anybody burning a coil on a woofer at HALF rated power, assuming it's an honestly rated product?
yes I have. and its because of improper tuning thinking that their sub can take all the amp has to offer so they just crank it all up and poof bye bye sub.

To all I appreciate all the advice and input. For right now I'm keeping everything as I have it. I may eventually get a newer amp that can push out a little more at 4 ohms, the amp I have had for a while and the sub is newer. At the end of the day I only want to push 450-500, I don't want to go the full 600.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.