Adjustable passive radiator series tuned 6th order.

Nice clean sound from this as a stand alone box. Better SQ than ported by quite a lot, and almost as loud. It’s down 1-1.5 DB in modeling compared to ported, and that can be heard in real life as well, but the box size is much smaller. The first picture is the same sub in 1.2 cubes tuned to 30 HZ. It sounded really good and gets pretty darn loud. The radiator box ended up at 1.4 cubes after I braced it and has a smaller footprint by quite a bit and can be tuned to whatever I want. I’m going to be switching out weight on the PRs all day to hit the sweet spot.
A22F4845-A209-47D7-9C54-6A77F7DD5595.jpeg
655F1663-D52B-44D1-9480-AD2C6B62D377.jpeg
04F53949-270C-4AF7-928B-2AC02FFA0B2D.jpeg

Nice clean sound from this as a stand alone box. Better SQ than ported by quite a lot, and almost as loud. It’s down 1-1.5 DB in modeling compared to ported, and that can be heard in real life as well, but the box size is much smaller. The first picture is the same sub in 1.2 cubes tuned to 30 HZ. It sounded really good and gets pretty darn loud. The radiator box ended up at 1.4 cubes after I braced it and has a smaller footprint by quite a bit and can be tuned to whatever I want. I’m going to be switching out weight on the PRs all day to hit the sweet spot.
View attachment 41577View attachment 41578View attachment 41579
So this box is sealed? What size? Always wanted to try passive radiators.

The big weight is the 255 gram weight that is sent with it. It’s tuned too low with that on there. It plays below 20 HZ, but the upper end above 40 suffers, which is where most music will play. I’m swapping out the large weight with fender washers to bring weight down and raise tuning. I’m shooting for around 32.
A3F4D682-188E-410C-A184-B5D3B90C3D9A.jpeg

Cool build. I’ve always wanted to try a 6th with an 8 like sa8 or similar.
I’m doing a 6th with an RDS 8. His brand new line of 8s hasn’t come out yet, but he is building me one. Should be done in 2 weeks. 23 mm of xmax and 1000 watts RMS. I’m going to have to model it before I fully decide, but Im hoping it has good specs for a 6th order

I think I have my tuning down now. I should be at around 30 HZ. I will do a little weighing of my washers and see what I’m tuned at, but it sounds pretty good. Did a couple of videos. 3 of my screws are basically just floating, which you can hear a little in the video. This is what people mistake for ”rattling” often. It’s actually air squeaking out of the hole. The video makes it sound even more like a rattle. i used small 1.5 inch drywall screws, but now that tuning is almost done those will all be replaced with larger screws to plug all the leaks. I took the radiators out 9 times today and changed weights and played with tones and music.

I think I have my tuning down now. I should be at around 30 HZ. I will do a little weighing of my washers and see what I’m tuned at, but it sounds pretty good. Did a couple of videos. 3 of my screws are basically just floating, which you can hear a little in the video. This is what people mistake for ”rattling” often. It’s actually air squeaking out of the hole. The video makes it sound even more like a rattle. i used small 1.5 inch drywall screws, but now that tuning is almost done those will all be replaced with larger screws to plug all the leaks. I took the radiators out 9 times today and changed weights and played with tones and music.

Rather than weighing the washers, you can run test tones and see what frequency the sub "stops" moving at.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...