Acoustic Elegance AV12-X D2!

I hear a real quality song to listen to with SQ bass is Roses by outkast, is this true? When i listen to it on the AE it sounds way different than the Q or Polks. It sounds really clean but Is there some reference or specific notes i should listen for. I guess its hard to tell when i have no reference.

A few good tracks with detailed bass that isn't heavily compressed.

Duende by Black Light Syndrome. Beginning has a short bass solo with some quick notes. Good subwoofer will produce each note clearly and differentially. A poor subwoofer it sounds like a rumble that only changes tone.

Are You In by Incubus.

Good SQ demo song in general. Lots of left/right imaging. Drums are recorded well. Toms roll from side to side. Nice punchy kick drum

Fever by Ray Charles on Genius Loves Company.

Another good SQ demo song. Very tight upright bass. Good female and male vocals.

Flirt and It Just Happens That Way by Mindi Abair on the CD It Just Happens That Way

Two other good SQ songs with good imaging, saxaphone, and tight punchy bass.

John

I also like to use some Pink Floyd for demos. Anoth Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 is a great all around demo with tight punchy bass and will also give your mids and tweeters a good workout. Mother, the track after, starts out slow with no bass but once it does come in it is a good test, it should be forcefull but tight and crisp. From that same album Comfortable Numb follows the same format, tigt punchy bass aith bass guitar. All excellent demo songs.

For those interested, I just got my ED 11Ov2's installed yesterday. They do not seem to exhibit the lack of upper frequency extension that the AV15 did. This is now 3 separate drivers that have not exhibited this problem in my vehicle. Perhaps it's time to stop blaming the user or the vehicle and start (rightfully) blaming the poorly performing drivers???

A comment from a friend who's not much of an audio person was simple 'wow, these things have WAY more range than that 15 you had did" >_>

CIMG2075.JPG

I wouldn't buy anything Ed. Also you are comparing 4 10" drivers to a single 15??

I think its been shown over and over that the AE series drivers have LOTS of upper range output.

you are comparing the upper end output of 1 15" compared to 4 10"s? 4 10"s have 314 inces^2 of cone area and 1 15 has 177 inches^2 of cone area. which one did you think was gonna have more upper end output?

EDIT: microhaxo, how's the AV holdin up?

I will be buying a mic soon to test, it wont be with termlab software but it will be with Room EQ and TrueRTA (things i can afford lol)

I would jump over to WIS but it would take me ~6 hrs to get anywhere close to you buick.

If anyone in Minnesota close to twin cities has a TL let me know.

For those interested, I just got my ED 11Ov2's installed yesterday. They do not seem to exhibit the lack of upper frequency extension that the AV15 did. This is now 3 separate drivers that have not exhibited this problem in my vehicle. Perhaps it's time to stop blaming the user or the vehicle and start (rightfully) blaming the poorly performing drivers???
A comment from a friend who's not much of an audio person was simple 'wow, these things have WAY more range than that 15 you had did" >_>

[/img]

I think we have covered this a few times and I just don't know why you have such a hard time understanding. The 10 people who were here from the forum on saturday and heard the already damaged papermaker woofer STILL playing to 200hz. You can see the videos here as well as all the people here to witness.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418231

Thanks to Bumpin Buick for the videos.

Again I'll try to educate you, although I'm starting to feel like i'm talking to a rock. If you have no upper end response it is due to your setup, not the woofer. I spent some time measuring transfer functions in Bose301's Jimmy, my Audi S4, and my bravada. One of the things you will find out is that positioning has a HUGE effect on upper bass response. You have a time delay from the direct signal off the woofer and the reflected signal off the back of the vehicle. This delay causes a substantial notch in frequency. Below are the measurements in Bose301's Jimmy.

2001_GMC_Jimmy_positioning.PNG

You can see that the red curve is smoothest and has the least amount of drop in the upper region. This is because the distance from the woofer to back of the vehicle is only a few inches. Any dip occurs well above 200hz and is not an issue. The closer the box is to the back of the vehicle, the better the upper response will be. If you have your box firing forward right behind the back seat this maximizes the time difference and you get the most significant dip at the lowest point in frequency. This is seen in the orange curve. The difference at 88hz between the 2 positions is 20dB. Output is lost everywhere from 57hz on up to over 100hz. Bose301's now stated he has much better upper end response from the same woofer just due to positioning. This of course makes perfect sense to most people.

As another example, here are the measurements from the 01 Audi S4. Again we see the same thing. Box at the back of the vehicle firing towards the back of the trunk gives the best results. Box firing forward at the back of the seat again is very poor. Box firing up actually causes even more loss lower in frequency.

2001_audi_s4_positioning.PNG

In case this isn't becoming clear yet, here is one more set of measurements from the 02 Olds Bravada. Again from 65hz on up, there is much more upper bass with the box at the back firing back. This vehicle, which i drive all the time has another cancellation that I have to deal with. The dip at 65hz occurs only at the headrest position and is changed due to mic placement. It just so happens my head has to go in that spot where the dip is.

2002_olds_bravada_positioning.PNG

What we can see here is that over and over, you lose upper bass output due to positioning. The current measurements were with the subwoofer only from 10hz to 200hz. No front stage was brought in. The other thing that affects the upper bass response is the integration with the front stage. That will be a lesson for another time though.

John

Now i have graphical proof to show my friends why forward firing is not good in many applications. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.