A sub getting stinky?

drpimpvandal
10+ year member

Skilled Member
I've seen a few people describe a sub as "getting stinky" what exactly do they mean? What is the stinky, the sound or something burning up? I recently installed a second sub, couldn't find anything about break-in period in the manual "actually did have a two week break in period listed but in the smallest letters on the bottom of the page:verymad:" anyway so I bumped it up. I did smell some burning or something, but all my stuff seems to be working fine? Did my sub get stinky? What will be the consequences if any down the road. See my signature for my setup.

just the smell of hot metal

the coils get hot and start to burn

chances are you didnt kill your subs

coils may be a bit burned but if they still work you are good

I always asked myseflt that question: do they burn over time or only with a excessive termal saturation.

If some subs are being send a clipped signal for 2 year, will they be least resistant to burning ? Do abuse accumulate over time? Or will they only burn if the temp is too hot once and then burn?

From what I understand, Subs don't really have a 'breaking in period'. They do, but it should be no different from any other time in terms of how you use it. =\

my l7's start to smell after playing full tilt for around 10-15mins and i dont think i am clipping them i have gains set with dmm with a 50hz tone set for 800rms to each sub

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.