A read for new people looking for help-a warning

@smtroupe; Your Subsonic filter is set too high*.. If your box is tuned to 35hz, then it should be set around 25-28hz.. Not 35 hz.. That means that you're missing a lot bass down low. How do you even know it's at 35 anyway? How do you know your LPF is at 80? Did you guess? Also your gains may be set too high causing you to clip. Just because it's halfway, doesn't mean it can't clip.. Check with a DMM or go buy yourself a DD-1. I would also recommend using a CC-1 to set your crossovers and subsonic.. It's quite expensive I know but it's worth it.. Your EQ settings is all weird.. You're boosting more than you're cutting, which can also cause you to clip.. Set everything to Flat for now and deal with EQ later once you have everything else set up right. You should use up more of your HU volume so that you can put your gains down on your amp. You can find out where your headunit clips with the DD-1.. Get it!

What are you looking for in your sub stage? Do you think it's not loud enough? Had too high of expectations? or it just sounds like utter crap? How you can find out what tuning frequency you like will be based on what music you listen to everyday. Is it rock? rap? edm? jazz? classical? Is it all of the above?? I personally don't like 35 hz tuning because it cuts off a lot of the low rumbles that you get from certain songs.. The lower you tune, the more types of music you'll be able to play (Generally better SQ and less peaky). Higher tuning is ideal for certain types of music or is for purely spl purposes and can sometimes sound like $hit. You have to ask yourself what your goals are to determine how to set everything up. I've been through so many boxes and different equipment that I was almost lost all hope for this car audio stuff.. In the end you start to realize it has more to do with tuning and how you set it up than the actual equipment. Having good equipment helps, but it'll still sound like s hit if you don't know how to set it up right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the new hellcats up close back in August and I must say they were impressive. I drive a 2010 Camaro and hate chargers but the challenger was still pretty sweet....

[quote name='blazian87']@smtroupe; Your Subsonic filter is set too low.. If your box is tuned to 35hz, then it should be set around 25-28hz.. Not 35 hz.. That means that you're missing a lot bass down low. How do you even know it's at 35 anyway? How do you know your LPF is at 80? Did you guess? Also your gains may be set too high causing you to clip. Just because it's halfway, doesn't mean it can't clip.. Check with a DMM or go buy yourself a DD-1. I would also recommend using a CC-1 to set your crossovers and subsonic.. It's quite expensive I know but it's worth it.. Your EQ settings is all weird.. You're boosting more than you're cutting, which can also cause you to clip.. Set everything to Flat for now and deal with EQ later once you have everything else set up right. You should use up more of your HU volume so that you can put your gains down on your amp. You can find out where your headunit clips with the DD-1.. Get it!

What are you looking for in your sub stage? Do you think it's not loud enough? Had too high of expectations? or it just sounds like utter crap? How you can find out what tuning frequency you like will be based on what music you listen to everyday. Is it rock? rap? edm? jazz? classical? Is it all of the above?? I personally don't like 35 hz tuning because it cuts off a lot of the low rumbles that you get from certain songs.. The lower you tune, the more types of music you'll be able to play (Generally better SQ and less peaky). Higher tuning is ideal for certain types of music or is for purely spl purposes and can sometimes sound like $hit. You have to ask yourself what your goals are to determine how to set everything up. I've been through so many boxes and different equipment that I was almost lost all hope for this car audio stuff.. In the end you start to realize it has more to do with tuning and how you set it up than the actual equipment. Having good equipment helps, but it'll still sound like s hit if you don't know how to set it up right.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for actually having a responds unlike these other **** tards that have no life I guess. I'm done ******* with it I'm going to sell it all have the next stuff put in and pay someone to tune it. Takes to much to perfectly tune a system I'm over it

Thanks for actually having a responds unlike these other **** tards that have no life I guess. I'm done ******* with it I'm going to sell it all have the next stuff put in and pay someone to tune it. Takes to much to perfectly tune a system I'm over it
Oh really?

Good job....

How did this get on the topic of cars... lol.

Yeah it's hard to perfectly tune a system but setting your subsonic and not turning up the treble and bass on your radio isn't hard.

It's really not as hard as you think.. Honestly I don't trust shops to tune my system.. They don't know the first thing about tuning and they will charge you an arm and a leg for it too.. I thought you were trying to save money so it wouldn't be a good option for you. If you don't wanna get caught up in the complications of a ported box, then just get a sealed box and you will for sure like how it sounds.. The only problem is it's not loud enough for most people.. If you care more about SQ and don't want the mumbo jumbo that comes with it.. Go with a sealed box, a bit on the bigger side and you'll have no problem.. Sealed boxes generally don't require subsonic filters so you can leave it off.. Just have to get your crossover to 80 or somewhere close to it. For the gain settings, everytime a shop done it for me in the past, they've always done it by ear which is not the right way to do it. I doubt any of the shops you go will have a DD-1 or CC-1.. They will just guess just like you did..

I just think you don't like a 35 hz ported box.. I don't either.. It's too peaky and not enough lows for me. It works for many people here though.. Do more research and look for some better SQ subs.. If you need some suggestions, give us a budget to work with..

and there's no such thing as a perfectly tuned system.. It's all subjective.. One person's liking is not the same as another person.. There's only 2 ways to go, more on SQ side of things or SPL.. or the in-between.. That's where you have to decide what you want.. Don't just get expensive equipment and expect it to sound great because tuning is a big part of any system.

You should have done more research. If you don't know what the hell you're doing, don't blame other people. Blame yourself and quit b*tching.

A shop installing your system does not mean it is done correctly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.