A little fiberglass help please, my first time.

slaphappy
10+ year member

I've got the box design planned. The back will be MDF and the front will be fiberglass.

I've got resin, hardener, and mat on the way. I know I need to stretch fleece to all of the MDF surfaces and then coat it with resin/hardener mixture.

Then what?

soak the strips of glass in the mixture and just apply layer after layer or do I apply a layer, let it cure/dry, apply another layer etc?

thanks for any help.

stretch the fleese and coat ----- IT----- with the resin. Let it harden----- then put the mat and resin it on the UNSEEN inside to strengthen it. let each layer dry before the next

let your local shop that does custom work takeover on the box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by slaphappy I've got the box design planned. The back will be MDF and the front will be fiberglass.

I've got resin, hardener, and mat on the way. I know I need to stretch fleece to all of the MDF surfaces and then coat it with resin/hardener mixture.

Then what?

soak the strips of glass in the mixture and just apply layer after layer or do I apply a layer, let it cure/dry, apply another layer etc?

thanks for any help.
Yep pretty much what you said.

Leave the back off until you are completely done with the front. It will make your life much easier. Just apply the the mat to the inside of the fleece ( inside the box) to cut down your sanding time. When your applying the resined mat. Be sure to work out all of the air bubbles. A roller is the easiest and most effective way to accomplish this. Wait for each layer to dry in between. Alternate the direction your applying the mat with each layer. It will make your final product stronger. You can also glass pieces of rope in between a couple of layers to add strength and rigidity while cutting down the amount of mat you will need, and the overall weight of the enclosure. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The box is more of a wedge shape so there isn't really a back to leave off-- all sides will be touching glass. The only way to get to the inside would be through the speaker hole-- the same principles apply when going from the front right, just a lot of sanding in the end?

thanks for the help guys

bbrrian- the rewards are so much greater when you learn to do it yourself. Your first time has got to come sometime if you want to learn.

Yep. A butt load of sanding. Break out your big can of elbow grease. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by bbrrian let your local shop that does custom work takeover on the box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Just one thing to say to this jack ass.....People are here to learn how to do things themselves so they can take pride in the work they do and in their system. If this is the sort of advice you are going to be handing out instead of really trying to help someone we do not need it here and it is unwelcome. Not only is he saving a TON of money by doing it himself, but he is also gainging experience and pride in his own work and system so get over it.

Amen to that!!! ...well, except the jack a** part. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by Frraksurred Amen to that!!! ...well, except the jack a** part. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
LOL I gotta call em as I see em.

I need some more help...

I've got the fleece stretched and coated with resin/hardener.

1) It's been a looong time and still isn't hard. Is it supposed to get hard hard or just hard enough to lay the fiber glass down (it's still flimsy but it's rough/gooey to touch)?

2) I soaked the hell out of it but the inside is still soft fabric, normal. Was the fleece maybe too thick. Should I take it all off and use something thinner?

3) Is the fleece supposed to form a solid or slight bond to the wood once it's dry or does that bond come once the glass is put down and cured?

Please give me some guidance...

Originally posted by slaphappy [i need some more help...

I've got the fleece stretched and coated with resin/hardener.

1) It's been a looong time and still isn't hard. Is it supposed to get hard hard or just hard enough to lay the fiber glass down (it's still flimsy but it's rough/gooey to touch)?
here do you live?--------what is the temp? -----what was the temp when you put it on? -------- what percent hardener does it require?
it should get hard-------------

make another batch of resin not alot------- mix it hot ---- meaning add MORE hardener that normal-------

use a blow drier or heat gun to EVENLY------EVENLY ----EVENLY big areas on the resined fleece. Hang out with your fiberglass project for a while doing this---- touch it-- --when you feel that an area is making it's own heat[curing] move on to a colder area

word of caution------- if you heat an area to much It can speed the curing too much and crack/ shrink/ twisting it

evenly heat------- when its curing it should warm to the hand----like someone who had a really bad fever

2) I soaked the hell out of it but the inside is still soft fabric, normal. Was the fleece maybe too thick. Should I take it all off and use something thinner?
nope it fine-------- as you should add normal woven mat to the unseen inside anyway
3) Is the fleece supposed to form a solid or slight bond to the wood once it's dry or does that bond come once the glass is put down and cured?
it the resin that is the glue-------as long as you got the wood wet with resin THROUGH the fleece it will bond very strong------- ive had wood break/ or fiberglass crack---- before it would they delaminate from each other

Yeah man. Mix up a hot batch of resin ( more hardener ) and apply it over what you have already done. It will help cure the previous layers. Also if your working in an area that's cold, get you a space heater. It will help a whole lot in the curing process. The colder the temp the more hardener you are going to have to use. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah, it's in the 50's - 60's right now in Northern VA. I used a space heater while I was doing it but I don't think it was heating it up enough. The resin/hardener calls for 1/8 oz hardener per 16 oz resin. I'll mix up some more with more hardener and do what you said.

Thanks a lot for the help!

I love this web site!

I'm down in the Roanoke area //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif The temps are pretty close to the same here. I usually have to double up on the hardener this time of year. Word of caution though. Be prepared to apply the hot batch of resin as quickly as possible. Cause it's going to gel up rather quickly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.