A good sounding system with no sub?

jgarcia9102
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My friend is following in my footsteps and looking to get some better audio in his car. Its a 98 2-door Cavalier, and i believe it has 6.5" in the front and 6x9 in the rear.

my question is this, how good would a system sound with coaxials in the front (possibly components if i can convince him) and say a 6.5" mid woofer on the rear deck. i would build the mid woofers a box if necesary, but the front speakers would just be put into stock locations.

he isnt looking to spend a lot of money, and he isnt looking to bump. he just wants nice sound quality, and a system that can handle all types of music without distortion.

any one run this setup, or has sugestions to one that would work well?

i dont think any one runs no near fill with no other speakers but 2 coaxials. usually these people have strong components and a Sub, this kid wont be having either of those.

would it be wrong to assume midbass would be enough to cover the lows?

It's definitely possible...that's the route I'm going actually; I'll have components in the front and rear doors, and free air 6.5" or 6x9" subs in the rear deck. If you know about TS parameters, for free air you wanna look for low FS and high Qts, so you get that good low end but the woofer motion is controlled...

dunno this is justa suggestion... get a nice component set up front, and run a couple 6.5" midbasses in the back.

I ran coaxials with no rear fill, but that was in a truck... anyway

RUn some 6.5" comps up front (sealed preferably) and some 8"s suited for IB work in the rear in the rear dash.

I got some soundlines like flakko ^^^^

and i can feel the bass off them in my doors. You could not get any rear fill and spend some more money on the comp set.

I had a buddy with a honda prelude and he ran comps in the front and cut the rear deck and did 2 8's and it sounded really good, that is always a option. Is he looking for some cheap stuff? Let me know I live 30 min away and might have some stuff around here.My email is ckustyn@verizon.net

Tons of good sugestions. I still have a question though,

How much Power do Midbass usually use?

If i was to push him in the direction of components, could i get away with a ~60w 4 channel sub?

like i said, he is looking to spend as little as possible, and would basically appreciate anything better than stockers and some more bass.

i still think he will end up getting some coaxials for the front, im thinking the JL's. I heard them at a local shop, and they sounded amazing. i know you can get more for your money tho, so idk yet.

Tons of good sugestions. I still have a question though,
How much Power do Midbass usually use?
All dependent on your use of the volume control knob.

If i was to push him in the direction of components, could i get away with a ~60w 4 channel sub?
See above

i still think he will end up getting some coaxials for the front, im thinking the JL's. I heard them at a local shop, and they sounded amazing. i know you can get more for your money tho, so idk yet.
Yes, apart from their subs, I have yet to see a JL speaker that lives up to its price or hype.

for a good clean bass and sound tell him to not waste his time and go with a good component set, There is always GREAT comp sets on here for sale for prolly the same prices as those JL coax's.

get a good set of comps and a good 2 channel amp first... if he wants more of a midbass after tell him to save up some more and get something for the rear deck (single 8" with a decent mono amp would be cheap)

And the front speakers in that are more then likely a 4x6" not a 6.5

oh and BTW i only run a infinity kappa componet set in the front with no subs and my rear speakers turned off. I plan on going with a higher end comp set really soon. With the current setup however you can easily feel the low notes on your legs and hear them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well that makes sense. But, i dont know if he will want to Use up trunk space with a sub. that was one thing he didnt want. I may have to get really creative and put a 8" in his rear deck.

ok, here are my new thoughts...

a Good set of comps (preferably the biggest bang for the buck, since he has little buck), a 4 channel amp (~50x4), and possibly later bridge the back 2 channels to a 8" sub.

does anyone know of a good free airing sub off the top of their heads?

just a sugestion from a noobie but tang band makes a 6X9 subwoofer that is available at partsexpress.com. It is 70 watts rms and has a 7mm xmax. I have never used one but i would thing it would sound pretty good in the stock locations. idk if it would work as a free air driver but might be something to check out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.