A Crossover?

Daniel
10+ year member

Caraudio.com
SFLA
I installed my HU yesterday, a Blaupunkt Santa Fe, and the guys who helped me out worked on this sort of stuff for about 12 years. He did car audio, and worked on concert lines which are very similar, so I trusted him. He installed it within one hour, and everything works perfectly. While installing it he asked if I had subs and an amp and I told him yes, but I hadnt got the wires to install it. He told me that when I was to put them in I needed an electronic crossover to make sure the speakers inside get OVER 120hz and the subs get the 120hz and UNDER. I just wanted to put that he doesnt work for any company, hes my freinds dad, meaning i would expect some one who works at best buy to try and sell me these sort of things even if it wasnt really needed. SO i am asking you al, is it necessary?

Necessary no. Smart thing to do Yes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif A crossover can really help the sound of a system by dividing frequencies to specific amplifiers and speakers. It keeps your subs from trying to play the higher frequencies. And your midrange and tweeters from playing the low frequencies. You don't necessarily have to have an electronic crossover. There are some very good passive crossovers at http://www.partsexpress.com . Or you could always use good old bass blockers which are nothing more than caps put inline with the speakers to block low frequencies from your midrange and tweeters. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif What kind of amps are you using to power everything ? Alot of newer amps have them built in already.

i have a jbl 600.1 powering my two blaupunkt pcwi1200 subs. getting 300w to each but am haveing REAL problems trying to put it in... i am working on it as we speak, so if your there can you follow through this post and hel[p me out?

If that's the only amp your going to be running. You only need a sub crossover or low pass crossover.

What problems are you having ? Let me know maybe I or someone else can offer some help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i am having problems getting the power wire to the engine for the battery, where would the passive crossovers go and to which wires?

what are somee other good brands other than audio control?

and what type do i need? 2/3 way bass crossover?

its going along the left side of the car ( 97 ford contour ) and its 16 gauge i believe, its not in front of me but im sure thats it

Hmmmm,

I highly doubt its 16 gauge.But if it is, you should take a look at your amp manual for what gaue is required, im guessing 8 or 4.Anywho, i usally run my power wire thru the fire wall, my firewall had a rubber garment i could pop of and make an appropiate hole for the wire to fit thru and into my engine compartment.If u arent so lucky, theres gotta be a rubber boot or something u can make a small hole to run the power wire thru.Just take your time and scope out the situation.If it ever comes down to drilling, make sure u dont drill into any essential things on the other end....BTW i'd vote for a crossover if your amp dosent have on built in, or your head unit...

Good luck!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.