'98 Cavalier Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

sbelew
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Enclosure started out to be a slot port, but then a change of plans, (and subs) I went with a round ported box. My first attempt at building a ported enclosure, with assistance from Kushy_Dreams, Thank You. It is a little rough but I will pull it back out to sand and cover it. I wanted to listen to it first before I spent anymore money on carpeting.

Specs are;

2 Boston 10" G1's (Thank you Cerwin Vega Fan)

2.3 Cu Ft Net

32Hz

25 sq in of port

Massive Audio NX5 Wired to 2 ohms.

bb2.JPG

bb3.JPG

bb5.JPG

bb7.JPG

bb8.JPG

bb9.JPG

bb10.JPG

bb11.JPG

bb12.JPG

bb13.JPG

Generally with round ports you can get away with less port area due to the increased efficiency over slots but in this case the ports aren't flared so its ok to go with a little bigger port area. But the hard edges do need to be eliminated.

I couldn't get the numbers to work out right with using 3" ports. Might be because of my of cu ft is smaller than what Boston recommends. I went with 4" and stayed within the 9" to 13" per cu ft rule. Ended up at 10.9" per cu ft. And I'm not sure what peaky means. I will also round off the edge of the port when I take it out to finish it.

that rule doesnt apply to round ports and the rule isnt always something to stick to when using slot ports. its not a big deal. if you are able to (looks like not much side on the sides) make sure you have at a port's width of clearance to allow proper airflow from the exit of the port

Im real close on that side clearance of the ports. I know I need 4" of clearance. I didnt have a tape measure handy at the moment, but i will check that. Its a real tight fit, with trying to retain some usable trunk space. I'm going to check that, I may end up having to rebuild the box. It started out being for a single 12 and got modified for 2 10's. I actually may try slanting the back of the box to fit up tight against the back seat, narrow it down some and give it a little more depth, which should solve that port clearance problem, free up a bit more trunk space, and perhaps drop the tuning down a bit more. Its a learning process, but meanwhile the learning is taking a bite out of my pocket, and the subs are starting to collect here. Need to put them up for sale soon.

Here is the latest addition to my system. I decided to go back and try the JBL GTO804's again, ported this time. It is 1.4cuft enclosure tuned to 28 Hz. Very clean sounding, plays low and is not overpowering. Sounds great actually. I just finished it up over the weeknd. Now I need to pull out the amp mount and recover it in the same material and clean up the wiring. Here are some pictures.

jbl01.JPG

jbl02.JPG

jbl07.JPG

jbl09.JPG

jbl10.JPG

jbl11.JPG

jbl12.JPG

jbl13.JPG

jbl14.JPG

jbl15.JPG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.