6th order for lows vs current build?

lnsomnia

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys, so I'm looking to start a new build soon and am pretty set on a build that excels on the lows and moves tons of air.

Right now I almost have the opposite of what I would like to do. I currently have three hds200 15's walled off in my civic tuned to 32hz in a 10 cubed box (which is doing 150's on music!). I have about 15 cubes to work with if I tore everything apart and started over.

Like I said, for my next build I could care less about my score on the meter. Sure, 150 on music would be great but I'm really aiming to hit the lows and try something new.

What I would like to do is tear apart my wall and build a 6th order wall with two X-18's.

Thoughts or opinions? Would switching from my current build to a 6th order wall with two X-18's move a lot more air than what I'm moving now? Would it be a waste of effort and money? I'm open to any ideas!

Thanks guys. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I think it's a great idea.. Should hit those lows a lot better and move more air compared to the three 15's.. I don't think your effort would be wasted at all.. It's just gonna take a lot more planning and making sure it's tuned right. How are you gonna set it up? Do you have an idea on how the subs are gonna be facing and where the ports are gonna lead to?

I think it's a great idea.. Should hit those lows a lot better and move more air compared to the three 15's.. I don't think your effort would be wasted at all.. It's just gonna take a lot more planning and making sure it's tuned right. How are you gonna set it up? Do you have an idea on how the subs are gonna be facing and where the ports are gonna lead to?
Thanks for your thoughts bud.

I'm not really sure how I would explain it, but I haven't really sat down and planned it out in detail yet. It was just an idea pretty much.

A picture would be a ton easier to describe how I have it in my head but I'll try to explain what I had in mind has well as possible lol. Basically, the first port would be of course part of the front baffle/wall. I wanted it to be a big vertical rectangle port in the center of my car from pretty much top to bottom of my car. And then inside that port would be the 18's; one 18 on each side of the inside of the box. One on the left side (or drivers side of the car) and then one of the right side (passenger side). I'm not sure where the other ports would be exactly probably just towards the end of the box behind the 18's on each side.

I'm not even going to begin to try and design my own 6th order. Definitely going to pay someone to design it for me lol. All I know is I want it to get nasty low lol. And I understand a little Honda civic hatchback isn't really the best option for that... But I'm determined. :p

Thanks for your thoughts bud.
I'm not really sure how I would explain it, but I haven't really sat down and planned it out in detail yet. It was just an idea pretty much.

A picture would be a ton easier to describe how I have it in my head but I'll try to explain what I had in mind has well as possible lol. Basically, the first port would be of course part of the front baffle/wall. I wanted it to be a big vertical rectangle port in the center of my car from pretty much top to bottom of my car. And then inside that port would be the 18's; one 18 on each side of the inside of the box. One on the left side (or drivers side of the car) and then one of the right side (passenger side). I'm not sure where the other ports would be exactly probably just towards the end of the box behind the 18's on each side.

I'm not even going to begin to try and design my own 6th order. Definitely going to pay someone to design it for me lol. All I know is I want it to get nasty low lol. And I understand a little Honda civic hatchback isn't really the best option for that... But I'm determined. :p
lol yea definitely pay someone for this design.. not worth the headache.. It takes a lot of balls to go with a wall in a civic man lol.. I would do the same thing if I didn't need backseat people..

Kinda imagined the same thing as you said.. sub on left and right wall in a vertical port.. You could also try both stacked on top facing forward but it probably would not fit that way... I'm thinking the port has to come from the back into the front side of the wall ..Or you could even go 8th order and have the rear port facing forward in between the subs and lead to the same port in the front.. The downside to bandpass design is that the musical range will be very narrow but will be friggin loud as hell.. You should definitely go for lows but try to grasp some of those punchy highs with the 2nd port.. If you're looking for musicality, bandpass is not the way to go.. It's usually for competing or if you're looking for extreme one note wonder bass..

lol yea definitely pay someone for this design.. not worth the headache.. It takes a lot of balls to go with a wall in a civic man lol.. I would do the same thing if I didn't need backseat people..
Kinda imagined the same thing as you said.. sub on left and right wall in a vertical port.. You could also try both stacked on top facing forward but it probably would not fit that way... I'm thinking the port has to come from the back into the front side of the wall ..Or you could even go 8th order and have the rear port facing forward in between the subs and lead to the same port in the front.. The downside to bandpass design is that the musical range will be very narrow but will be friggin loud as hell.. You should definitely go for lows but try to grasp some of those punchy highs with the 2nd port.. If you're looking for musicality, bandpass is not the way to go.. It's usually for competing or if you're looking for extreme one note wonder bass..
A true 8th order box should not even be considered for a musical scenario. It will literally have no output beyond a VERY specific frequency. 6th order's are hard to do right, usually I see people attempt these and end up plugging one of the ports and just working around them to get a 4th order setup.

Bandpass boxes in general, are very peaky around one or two frequency's and that's about it.. If you still want a truly musical experience with nasty lows, i'd personally just tear down and rebuild with even lower tuning. Your setup can sound worlds different just by changing the box / port specs.

EDIT: There are ways to get around the peakyness though. You can build 4th orders with certain sealed>ported ratios and certain port specs that will actually give a surprisingly wide range of frequencys. Have a pro design it for you lol.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I''ll talk to a professional designer and see what they recommend. Regardless, I'll at least be doing a 4th!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.