60 amp alternator not enough ?

Sounds like you need a battery upgrade. The alternator is usually the last place you shop for with Toyota when it comes to electronics.
Why battery ? even if I put 20 batteries in there, if the current demand is higher than the input current, eventually I will run out of juice...

Check junkyards, sure u can get pretty cheap higher output (100-140 amp) alts there. If not then get your alternator rewound for higher amperage. If that dont work just buy a slightly bigger alt. If your planning on seriously expanding your system (2krms and well beyond) then contact some of the major h/o alternator companies (mechman, irragi, dc etc) sure there are many many more companies out there. Anyway good luck op.

Why battery ? even if I put 20 batteries in there, if the current demand is higher than the input current, eventually I will run out of juice...
Exactly, the battery(ies) just store electrical energy for the next time the current draw is extremely high like when starting the car. After the engine is driving/powering the alternator, the ALTERNATOR takes over supplying all the car's electrics with electrical power and should also be able to recharge and keep the battery(ies) maximally charged.

John Kuthe...

My boat has three battery banks, three 125 Ah batteries on one bank, two 125 Ah batteries on another bank and one 125 Ah batteries on the last bank. I have a mechanical switch that can short the two multiple-battery banks together.
My largest current draw is my custom Oasis XD3000 air compressor at about 180A.

My second largest current draw is my custom 2,500W sound system, that pulls about 100A in the typical high-volume mode.

The current is replenished by the two engines, each with a 90A generator and also when the boat is plugged into shore power or when the gasoline-powered generator is running an on-board 70A charger is providing current to offset the draw.

When all else fails the lone 125 Ah battery has one single function, to start the gasoline powered generator that will then power that 70A charger, plus everything else on the boat.

My experience is that extended periods of air usage and also extended periods of loud music, both very high current draws, are satisfied by the multiple batteries and the chargers. So a large reservoir is a good option to handle periods of excessive draw, even when they exceed the charger rate.

Sounds like you need a battery upgrade. The alternator is usually the last place you shop for with Toyota when it comes to electronics.
The biggest baddest battery he can find won't stay charged if he's spending much time below 12v, even worse if he's seeing 11's.

At 11 the alt's maxed out and the battery itself is sagging pretty bad too. So it may be true that the battery's not in good shape. Even so, a reasonably capable alternator should be ~13+ almost constantly with momentary drops to ~12, at worst.

I got a used 110 amp Alternator

300 watts RMS amplifier

Aircon

Headlights 90 watts each

40 watt LED lights

My voltage still drops to 11 volts... so was I unlucky enough to get a defective alternator ?

The original wire was about 5 times thinner than the Gauge 6... guessing Gauge 12

Air conditioner

What's an aircon?
That 6 gauge may not be thick enough. What gauge was it before?

That 110 amps alt should be good tho.

I got a used 110 amp Alternator
300 watts RMS amplifier

Aircon

Headlights 90 watts each

40 watt LED lights

My voltage still drops to 11 volts... so was I unlucky enough to get a defective alternator ?
Try reverting to the standard headlight bulb.
Is is possible that the headlight bulbs are 45W each for 90W total? What is the bulb MFG and MFG P/N? Has the lamp current been measured to permit calculating the wattage, or the lamp power been measured?

Has the generator output current been measured?

What is the engine RPM when the voltage is dropping? What happens when the engine is above idle?

Agreed. I'm a big believer in batteries, but 60A is likely inadequate to even run all the stock vehicle accessories at once. You definitely need to see about getting at least 100A rated alt in there.

ok, sorry not 90 watts but 60 each. (OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited)

Has generator output been measured : no, how is this done ? I have a multimeter

Engine RPM at idle is 900. When above idle, voltage rise to 13+v with everything on

When Idle and nothing on, voltage is 14.5v

Try reverting to the standard headlight bulb.
Is is possible that the headlight bulbs are 45W each for 90W total? What is the bulb MFG and MFG P/N? Has the lamp current been measured to permit calculating the wattage, or the lamp power been measured?

Has the generator output current been measured?

What is the engine RPM when the voltage is dropping? What happens when the engine is above idle?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.