6.5" Subwoofer Instead of Rear Door Full Range Speaker Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

wingless

Florida
When I special-ordered my new Jeep Grand Cherokee over 22 years ago it included the factory Infinity Gold sound system. There were component speakers in the front doors and tweeters in the dash, plus full range speakers in the rear doors.

The premium models also got a sound bar above the rear of the cargo area. I added that Mopar part, w/ a pair of component speakers.

When the suspension on my door speakers crumbled, I decided to eliminate speakers in the rear doors and just go w/ the Infinity Kappa 60.11cs component speakers in the front doors / dash and the same in the sound bar.

This leaves two wired-up 6-1/2" rear door speaker locations unused.

My thought / question / potential plan is to put a single JL Audio 6W3v3-4 6.5" 4-ohm speaker in the right rear door, driven by a mono amplifier.

The speaker will fit, with the window up. But the rear door windows were designed w/ partial opening, to leave some glass protruding when fully opened. If I put the sub woofer into that speaker location, then the window will open less.

My vehicle will not have a sub box, or anything else visible from the interior, so this is the only possible sub woofer location for me.

All that being said, will this sound good and what can I do to make it sound as good as possible?

Seal the doors up completely. Any holes cover with sheet metal then deadener. Also deaden the inner door to help reduce flex. I'd fill both rear doors and still run it off the mono amp.

Put a thin sub under the rear floor cover. What you are thinking about won't work well
If this is an option it would be your best bet, but if the Grand Cherokee is like the Cherokee there's no false floor to work with.

If you're hellbent on doing this do everything dbjunior advised. You want to make the doors as close to a box as you can. You don't want to seal the holes at the very bottom though because they're for drainage; your door will rust out if you do. They probably make some shallow mount 6.5 subs, but I'm not familiar with them. I don't know if an infinite baffle sub might be better for this application.

Now that my audio system installation is completed, as-shown in this topic I'm returning to examining putting a pair of 6-3/4" component subwoofer speakers in the vehicle, one in each rear door.
My plan is to use two of these Kicker CompRT 43CWRT672 component 6-3/4" component subwoofer speakers.

These will be driven by a Blaupunkt GTA 1500D 500W amplifier.
youd probably do better with a pair of dayton speakers. Youll get some midbass out of that, but wont go super low. Also have to agree with sealing the door up completely and sound deadening it. Are you averse to fiberglassing an enclosure in there at all? That would get it sealed up the best since it sounds like youre against the idea that losisatool recommended

Thanks for the feedback.

The Dayton speakers look very nice.

The vehicle already has front and rear full range speakers, but doesn't have a subwoofer yet, so that is the gap I'm looking to fill.

The suggestion from LosIsATool is not applicable. The rear floor is covering the fuel tank. There is no room in that area for anything like a thin subwoofer. The vehicle was made before they were concerned w/ blowing up in rear end collisions. My '94 received the factory recall last year to add a weight distributing trailer hitch that increases rear-end collision protection.

Yes, a solution that is reasonable to implement will be considered.

Now that my audio system installation is completed, as-shown in this topic I'm returning to examining putting a pair of 6-3/4" component subwoofer speakers in the vehicle, one in each rear door.
My plan is to use two of these Kicker CompRT 43CWRT672 component 6-3/4" component subwoofer speakers.

These will be driven by a Blaupunkt GTA 1500D 500W amplifier.
My two Kicker CompRT speakers have been ordered.
My plan is to Dynamat the interior of the door skin, add "waterproofed" internal insulation, use metal to cover the door skin openings, Dynamat the door skin, cover w/ Denim Ultratouch Reinforced-Foil-Backed Insulation, then 1 lb/ft² Mass Loaded Vinyl, followed by the factory door skin.

According to the Kicker site, this is an Infinite Baffle.

My Kicker CompRT subwoofers arrived and I'm getting ready to implement the plan I've described.

Any suggestions before I start / finish would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are some images from my reply showing my subwoofer installation.

37541303981_6afb424ce1_z.jpg

37541304431_4f2599230b_z.jpg

36831415994_32d2490343_z.jpg

36831416404_8148c4b63b_z.jpg

36831416264_1a7ce8c39b_z.jpg

37282942540_552f859436_z.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.