6 12 box measurements

Lxwxh divided by 1728 will give you cubic feet. You must subtract material thickness, sub displacement, port displacement, and bracing. 9 cubes ported for 6 12’s is very small but I get it depends on the 12’s.

Six 12's give you roughly 628 sq inches if cone area whereas four 15's will give you roughly 706. Why not consider four 15's instead!

Sub-stantial (pun intended) price to performance consideration for sure.

You won't know the dimensions of the box until you measure the space it's going in. You may not even have enough space to fit it properly, so you need to plan a system for the space you have. You need to measure wherever you're going to put the box before you decide on any system.

Last edited:
Six 12's give you roughly 628 sq inches if cone area whereas four 15's will give you roughly 706. Why not consider four 15's instead!

Sub-stantial (pun intended) price to performance consideration for sure.
Many 12's are like 80 in^2 or so and many 15's are like 120 in^2 or so (Sd-usable radiating area). 6 * 80 = 480 roughly, 4 * 120 = 480 roughly. Depends, there are quite different cone or radiating sizes (Sd in t/s parameters) for the same diameter woofers, especially adding up net Sd with multiple woofers. 6 12's might be more motor and more efficient usage of box space, depends on exact woofers. You can tend to fit more cone area in less space with 12's and more motor.

Last edited:
Many 12's are like 80 in^2 or so and many 15's are like 120 in^2 or so (Sd-usable radiating area). 6 * 80 = 480 roughly, 4 * 120 = 480 roughly. Depends, there are quite different cone or radiating sizes (Sd in t/s parameters) for the same diameter woofers, especially adding up net Sd with multiple woofers. 6 12's might be more motor and more efficient usage of box space, depends on exact woofers. You can tend to fit more cone area in less space with 12's and more motor.
Go big or go home! Couple of Si 24's, just saying...

26” x 26” x 26” will give you 9 cu. ft. Internal volume roughly, but that really means absolutely nothing. Start with the internal dimensions of your vehicle and build to that.

Totally agree, not as simple as just picking most amount of cone area

Totally agree, not as simple as just picking most amount of cone area
Okay, maybe 16, 8's? Never said it was that simple, just an option.

One is not better than the rest, sometimes it comes down to simplicity. Any are fine, just an option. I'm a musician too and one of the best BASS cabs that Ampeg offers is their 8x10, largely because of cone area and quickness for a given size cabinet - size does matter. Many also opt for a single 15 with the 4x10 too, all good options, for bass (guitar) playback. Look at McCartneys Mesa-Boogie setup, BIG drivers. More cone area in the same cabinet equals more air moved - all other aspects (model brand, Electro-mechanicals) being equal.

Price starts to be a consideration too. Generally speakering (ha) and six 12's may cost you a lot more than four 15's. etc. Again, it's all good.

Last edited:
Okay, maybe 16, 8's? Never said it was that simple, just an option.

One is not better than the rest, sometimes it comes down to simplicity. Any are fine, just an option. I'm a musician too and one of the best BASS cabs that Ampeg offers is their 8x10, largely because of cone area and quickness for a given size cabinet - size does matter. Many also opt for a single 15 with the 4x10 too, all good options, for bass (guitar) playback. Look at McCartneys Mesa-Boogie setup, BIG drivers. More cone area in the same cabinet equals more air moved - all other aspects (model brand, Electro-mechanicals) being equal.

Price starts to be a consideration too. Generally speakering (ha) and six 12's may cost you a lot more than four 15's. etc. Again, it's all good.
Yes lots to consider, entirely possible 4(15)’s could be less money, less amplifiers, more effective cone area, less box dimensions.

Dimensions for a 9’ cubic box for (6) 12’s with no other details is an odd question to begin with.

Yes lots to consider, entirely possible 4(15)’s could be less money, less amplifiers, more effective cone area, less box dimensions.

Dimensions for a 9’ cubic box for (6) 12’s with no other details is an odd question to begin with.
Well, you know how that is. Growing up my father would refer to it as a "bug up ones arse", get the bug, you're an arse until it's satisfied! As a kid growing up in San Diego, I got it in my head that I could fit (6) 8" Phillips woofers in the package tray of my Mazda Rx 2 - which after demolishing any semblance of that package tray, I eventually did!

To which my father added another saying to my repertoire - That's called cutting your nose off despite your face...

I still have my nose, my father's long gone and I still think of things periodically for the what if...

It's the what if's that keep me going on about this stuff, always learning something.

:)

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...