4 inch four layer coil versus 3 in 8 layer coil?

If you're gonna run 3000+ watts, I would either do a neo 3" or a 4" ferrite for sure.

If you're gonna run 2kw, you could do a lot of different 3" ferrite motor woofers. I still think at 2500w I would opt for a 4" coiled woofer for daily, personally.
So you think if I go with a single 4-in coil sub for daily it should be ferrite for sure?
I'm willing to go that route because still would be saving weight if I went with a single large sub at ~80 lbs that could take 3 to 5K. In the SUV I'm getting I'll have space to build up the 60hz and up range so I would like that digging low shaking ability of a low tuned big coil sub.

I would imagine that is going to look more like a PA coil than the beefy stuff you'd find in DD 99XX, DC LV6, or various "team" woofers.

As far as the information I have got from very reliable source and my own experience 3" 8 layer will hold more heat than 4" 4 layer but 4 layer may be more efficient all things equal because you start to need a very wide gap to fit those thick coils. I like TC 4hp variants, LV6 DC, and DD 99XX for 4" coil subs. The American Bass and Soundqubed 4" coil models are pretty solid if you're not into spending big.

If you're looking into Neo, check out Pierce Audio. They have neo lineup and I've had good luck with their parts in the past and their motors I've seen around performed quite well. I think they also make some huge cones.

Yeah, I'm talking about non pro audio subs. There are big coiled pro audio subs that are more IB like, it's a totally different design than like a DD or Fi with a 4" coil.

I would do 2 15's.
While I'm definitely fascinated with a single big sub big coil setup, I'm going to take your advice and go with 2 15s. The three inch coils and neo motors do look good, and I can definitely see how it would dissipate heat better and be more accurate for music.
Say I wanted to keep my subwoofer weight at 80 lb Max what are some good neo 3-in coil subs that can handle 1500 to 2K that weigh 40 lb or less? Lightweight and smaller box requirements are definitely my best friends!

Idk what the Fi SSD calls for but they should be taking orders soon as they said end of June or July. Those are beefy subwoofer and the rms is 1,500 watts. Plus Fi subwoofers are known to take more.

These can work in any design and they have a few options from the 3.5 up to the 3.9. Yeah the wait ***** but you would be happy with a Fi Subwoofer.

While I'm definitely fascinated with a single big sub big coil setup, I'm going to take your advice and go with 2 15s. The three inch coils and neo motors do look good, and I can definitely see how it would dissipate heat better and be more accurate for music.
Say I wanted to keep my subwoofer weight at 80 lb Max what are some good neo 3-in coil subs that can handle 1500 to 2K that weigh 40 lb or less? Lightweight and smaller box requirements are definitely my best friends!

Maybe some pro audio woofers would be that.

The big difference is cooling capacity. A four inch coil will always have better heat dissipation than a three inch coil of the same length and style, because you can use more wire in that confined space to dissipate heat. The trade off is weight: typically, a four inch coil weighs twice as much as its equivalent sized three inch.

Idk what the Fi SSD calls for but they should be taking orders soon as they said end of June or July. Those are beefy subwoofer and the rms is 1,500 watts. Plus Fi subwoofers are known to take more.

These can work in any design and they have a few options from the 3.5 up to the 3.9. Yeah the wait ***** but you would be happy with a Fi Subwoofer.

Been looking at those and they look really good. I don't know what the new neo motor subs way from fi but I'm sure it's less

You probably have to do ferrite at the power level, I would think.
Yeah I was looking around at that on fi's website honestly I could turn the power up to 5K and run 2500 to each of 215s. If it doesn't weigh too much I'd be happy to run 5k.
I was noticing DC audio has really lightweight and small box requirement subs. If I use the big secret compartment below the floor in the back I can add two cubes to the design and could accomplish the 11 ft total cubic feet goal and run two of those 18s and they still only weigh 38 lbs each. I can also build the box a little bit wider up top to fit in some extra space.

The big difference is cooling capacity. A four inch coil will always have better heat dissipation than a three inch coil of the same length and style, because you can use more wire in that confined space to dissipate heat. The trade off is weight: typically, a four inch coil weighs twice as much as its equivalent sized three inch.
Seems like they're always rated to take more power and are more muscular on The low end judging by the 4-in coil subs I've heard.

If you are that worried about weight you may be better off changing your goals. My single neo18 weighs something like 50 pounds. Most of that weight is the motor. I have a pair of 2inch coil ferrite motor 15's, and they weigh about 85 pounds for the pair.

You are going to have to go with a neo motor to come even close to your weight goals. Personally, if I was that worried about weight I would get buck to design a 6th order for a single 15 or a pair of 12s and run less power.

Sound pressure is all about displacement. A single 12 with 3 inches of Xmax can and will get louder than a single 15 with only 1.5 inches of Xmax. I would focus your search on a pair of 12s or 15s with alot of Xmax and a softer suspension. Running 5k to a single woofer is awesome and all, but I'd rather run 1k to a woofer and get the same output with a more efficient driver.

Matt

Yeah I was looking around at that on fi's website honestly I could turn the power up to 5K and run 2500 to each of 215s. If it doesn't weigh too much I'd be happy to run 5k.
I was noticing DC audio has really lightweight and small box requirement subs. If I use the big secret compartment below the floor in the back I can add two cubes to the design and could accomplish the 11 ft total cubic feet goal and run two of those 18s and they still only weigh 38 lbs each. I can also build the box a little bit wider up top to fit in some extra space.

i really like DC’s, great woofers IMO.

If you are that worried about weight you may be better off changing your goals. My single neo18 weighs something like 50 pounds. Most of that weight is the motor. I have a pair of 2inch coil ferrite motor 15's, and they weigh about 85 pounds for the pair.

You are going to have to go with a neo motor to come even close to your weight goals. Personally, if I was that worried about weight I would get buck to design a 6th order for a single 15 or a pair of 12s and run less power.

Sound pressure is all about displacement. A single 12 with 3 inches of Xmax can and will get louder than a single 15 with only 1.5 inches of Xmax. I would focus your search on a pair of 12s or 15s with alot of Xmax and a softer suspension. Running 5k to a single woofer is awesome and all, but I'd rather run 1k to a woofer and get the same output with a more efficient driver.

Matt
The DC audio level fours are ferrite motored 3-in coil eight layers and they only weigh 38 lb a piece which slides them right into my goals. Really interested in the f i neos 3 in as well and I'm sure they are lighter, and more linear as well.

i really like DC’s, great woofers IMO.
I have never heard them myself how do they perform with daily music ported?
It is pretty tempting to use all my space and run two lvl 4 18s @ the suggested 11 cubes.
Shouldn't be long before I get the damn vehicle and can personally verify it will work as I always make a test fit box when pushing space.
Thanks again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...