4 inch four layer coil versus 3 in 8 layer coil?

Keeping in mind that I listen closely to drum cadence that does enter the subwoofer frequency region do you think level fours ported wood have the transient response I enjoy? I've always heard a smaller ported box offers that at the expense of a little on the bottom which is okay with me I think it will still be enough with the cabin gain of an SUV.
My other option would be to run those three si SQL 12s which I'm pretty certain would satisfy my musicality requirements. Given that I have 42 w x 17h x 32/35d to work with ( this is crutchfield not my measurements I'm still waiting on a family member to transfer the vehicle as they're finding another one), what would you recommend. ( Honestly I would be happy with the most SPL I can get while still having musicality, I understand you can't have it both ways) already have 40 ah of lithium lto and willing to get another 80 if necessary.
SQL- 12
Re: 3.4 Ohms
Fs: 27.9 Hz
Qes: 0.49
Qms: 3.51
Qts: .43
Le: 2.0 mH
Sd: 82.51 in^2
Vas: 29.0 Liters
BL: 23.4
Mms: 449.8 g
Cms: 72.2 uM/N
Xmax: 28.4 mm one-way via 70% BL. (56 mm total p-p linear excursion)
SPL: 92.0 dB (2.83V/1M) – 1 Ohm operation
Power Handling: 1000 watts RMS

Sealed enclosure: 0.65 to 1.0 ft^3
Vented enclosure: 1.5 ft^3 tuned to 24 Hz

Cutout: 285 mm (11.25”)

OD: 322 mm (12.75”)

Mounting Depth: 7.9”

Weight: 26 lbs

Displacement: 0.15 ft^3

SQL- 15
Re: 3.25 Ohms
Fs: 23.8 Hz
Qes: 0.45
Qms: 5.83
Qts: .42
Le: 2.0 mH
Sd: 130.17 in^2
Vas: 115 Liters
BL: 20.417
Mms: 388.55 g
Cms: 115 uM/N
Xmax: 28.4 mm one-way via 70% BL (56 mm total linear excursion)
SPL: 95 dB (2.83V/1M) – 1 Ohm operation
Power Handling: 1000 watts RMS

My last 5 substages have all been just that. Loud musical setups. They have all been "infinite baffle" systems, basically a really big ass sealed enclosure. In my experience ported and 6th order enclosures have less of that snappy kick drum response that a sealed enclosure has. They can sound great, but you do loose some of that "detail" because of group delay. Im no box engineer, but hopefully Buck can chime in on this, a 4th order might be in your best interest for a loud musical setup.

Matt

My last 5 substages have all been just that. Loud musical setups. They have all been "infinite baffle" systems, basically a really big ass sealed enclosure. In my experience ported and 6th order enclosures have less of that snappy kick drum response that a sealed enclosure has. They can sound great, but you do loose some of that "detail" because of group delay. Im no box engineer, but hopefully Buck can chime in on this, a 4th order might be in your best interest for a loud musical setup.

Matt
This has been my experience as well and all my setups but one have been quadruple sealed tens or 12s and I have been very happy with both the transient response and output of them with airspace on the smaller side giving it a really good tight impact with a little less rumble which is a compromise I'm willing to do.
I've heard a couple slot loaded sealed setups aimed into the listening area that sounded quite good actually

It’s hard for me to say how your ears will like it. DC’s have strong motors and soft suspensions, they’ve always punched hard and followed along well, to me.
That is what I've heard from a lot of other experienced people as well those DCs are looking like the leader. Good motor strength to drive the large cones and small box requirements is a winning combo. Mathematically it's looking at like I will be able to reach the 11 cube total to run two 18in level fours if I use the gigantic 2 cubic feet plus compartment below the floor as well.
I have heard ported setups on the smaller end of airspace that had good transient response

My current set up is a single dc audio xl spl10d2, in a slightly larger than spec enclosure, mine is about 1.25cuft after displacement at 32hrtz. I am extremely impressed with how musical it is. It replaced a pair of 2006 era re audio sx10d4s. The re's have 3inch 8 layer flat wound coils, as does the xl.

My current set up is a single dc audio xl spl10d2, in a slightly larger than spec enclosure, mine is about 1.25cuft after displacement at 32hrtz. I am extremely impressed with how musical it is. It replaced a pair of 2006 era re audio sx10d4s. The re's have 3inch 8 layer flat wound coils, as does the xl.
I ran four of the old RE audio s x 12 and was super happy with those! Really clean

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...