4 Gauge Wire Good Enough?

I figured 4 gauge is fine for now, if I wanted more than 500 or so I think I might need to upgrade my battery, alternator first!

ALSO someone mentioned to me to run a second ground wire off the battery to the body of the car? Why is this?
It allows electricity to flow easier, it's part of the Big 3 upgrade.

I figured 4 gauge is fine for now, if I wanted more than 500 or so I think I might need to upgrade my battery, alternator first!

ALSO someone mentioned to me to run a second ground wire off the battery to the body of the car? Why is this?

They were probably talking about the big 3 upgrade. It may or may not be necessary for you on that power, but it definitely wouldn't hurt. This is basically an upgrade of what usually consists of 3 wires under your hood to allow power to flow more easily from your alternator to your battery, through your battery's ground, that kind of thing. Here's a link that explains some of what goes on when you do the big 3:

How To Do The Big 3: Tutorial - Electrical-battery- Alternators- Wiring - SMD Forum

How would I know if I needed another ground? Will I be fine without it?
You can run without it, but your amp will be less strained for power if you do. It's very simple to do, you just have to find a good ground spot in your engine bay close to the battery. Typically, a good grounding spot is the strut tower. Simply remove one of the nuts, sand it down to shiny metal, and run a 4 or 0 ga wire from the battery negative to the bolt. Ring terminals are your best friend!

If you are open to other options, KnuKoncepts & Street Wires both do kits in OFC, a bit cheaper than the one you are looking at. Do some Googling or look at ebay to see a few more options.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

kevinmcc2

kevinmcc2
Pittsburgh
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
jrdnhsnbrg