4 Gauge Wire Good Enough?

I would like to do a mild amp/subwoofer system in my protege. I have always ran 4 gauge wire, but figured I would get some other opinions.

I would rather run the 4 gauge since it is easy to tuck and hide than 0 gauge.

I would be running a rather small setup, 2 subs with about 500 RMS total.

4ga is fine for that, but if you want to go big in the future 0ga will be necessary. Good luck with the install! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

4ga is fine for that, but if you want to go big in the future 0ga will be necessary. Good luck with the install! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Awesome, also, can I run the REM wire along side the RCA cable without interference? I would like to follow the same path behind the head unit to the trunk.

Awesome, also, can I run the REM wire along side the RCA cable without interference? I would like to follow the same path behind the head unit to the trunk.
i always run power on one side, and remote and rca's on the oppisite. four gauge will suffice for 500 rms

Yeah that's fine, the remote wire doesn't carry enough power to create interference. Some people even tape them together with electrical tape at certain intervals to make it easier.

I honestly do not know the difference, I am looking at a kit on Crutchfield right now. Link below, thoughts?
EFX 4-gauge Amplifier Wiring Kit Power and signal connections for your new amp at Crutchfield.com
CCA & OFC wire bare some similarities, but many performance differences. CCA (or Copper Clad Aluminum) wire is made of a mixture of copper as well as some other metals, and is less (conductive?) than OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) wire, which is about 100% copper. This concentration of copper makes the wire capable to run a lot more current through it.

The site claims the wire is OFC, so you should be good with that kit.

CCA & OFC wire bare some similarities, but many performance differences. CCA (or Copper Clad Aluminum) wire is made of a mixture of copper as well as some other metals, and is less (conductive?) than OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) wire, which is about 100% copper. This concentration of copper makes the wire capable to run a lot more current through it.
The site claims the wire is OFC, so you should be good with that kit.
I believe conductive is the correct word there, by the way

I believe conductive is the correct word there, by the way
Thanks, I thought so. Considering wire is usually rated by amperage, that'd be measuring the wire's conductivity.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Awesome, thanks again, was just checking I didnt want to run the wire and get interference and have to redo it, or have to get bigger wire!
Not unless you plan on upgrading in the future (which is very possible! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

Awesome, thanks again, was just checking I didnt want to run the wire and get interference and have to redo it, or have to get bigger wire!
Yeah I've had my current car since May and I've ran 6,2, and now 0ga wire in it. The Audio Bug doesn't die easily //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks, I thought so. Considering wire is usually rated by amperage, that'd be measuring the wire's conductivity. 

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Not unless you plan on upgrading in the future (which is very possible! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )
I also think resistance is a small factor, too. Even the purest copper has resistance.

I figured 4 gauge is fine for now, if I wanted more than 500 or so I think I might need to upgrade my battery, alternator first!

ALSO someone mentioned to me to run a second ground wire off the battery to the body of the car? Why is this?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.