3k amp, 3gcon 10s or 1evil 15??

fyi......say you have 2 subs t/s specs all the same, both have 34mm xmax......one takes 500rms to reach xmax, the other takes 3000rms to reach xmax......they will both be equal in SPL
That's not a realistic example, and it implies an incorrect conclusion. First, you cant simply say two subs with such vastly different power handling abilities have the same ts specs, that's extremely unlikely. Second, the enclosure size/type/alignment plays a huge role in over all SPL output. Third, xmax isn't the end all be all determining factor for output, especially in vented enclosures. Lastly, in a vented situation, the enclosure is most efficient at or very near tuning, and cone excursion is minimized... so power handling becomes a bigger factor in peak SPL output than xmax.

That's not a realistic example, and it implies an incorrect conclusion. First, you cant simply say two subs with such vastly different power handling abilities have the same ts specs, that's extremely unlikely. Second, the enclosure size/type/alignment plays a huge role in over all SPL output. Third, xmax isn't the end all be all determining factor for output, especially in vented enclosures. Lastly, in a vented situation, the enclosure is most efficient at or very near tuning, and cone excursion is minimized... so power handling becomes a bigger factor in peak SPL output than xmax.
Definitely, the BL in a ported enclosure tells much more than the excursion about performance at tuning. Moving Mass will greatly affect sensitivity and SPL as well. I have seen some amazing performance and sound quality using four sealed drivers with minimal airspace each because having four of them means you need less excursion.

I don't see a problem with running multiple subs, but some prefer single subs for various reasons. I was tempted to try out an FI Q 15 over two 10's just for the mere fact that one single sub might somehow sound cleaner? However I was hesitant to believe such a beefy woofer 1800 rms would sound as good as an 900 watt one. So I went with dual 10's, again..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.