3 Ohm sub question

Participant count
  • Participant list

LetMyBeatPound

CarAudio.com Exclusive
I have these weird 3ohm subs that are well 3.2 ohm they also have a CT horn tweeters connected into them but seems to make no difference in the ohm reading connected or not. They are also dual voice coil. I have then ran in Series Parallel.

Now the question:

If an amp is only 4ohm stable what are the possibilities of damage to the amp occuring. I'm selling them and I don't wanna look dumb and burn them or my amp up when dude comes to check them out.

I'm thinking as long as I don't pump the gain n boost all should be alright. I only had them hooked up once for about 10minutes just to check them out but dude is buying the box with them, an amp n a wire set up so I m just making sure I don't sell something that is going to break.

What subs are they? Only 3ohm subs I have heard came from JL. If you get a true 3 ohm load a 4 Ohm stable amp will handle it, as the box rise very well might bring it up to about 4 ohms.

4 ohm subs will read in the 3's since you're likely measuring resistance (DCR), not impedance.

If you're certain about wiring being correct you should be fine as long as you aren't abusing your electrical.

Most 4 ohm stable amps will drive a coil that measures 3 ohm DC resistance. Some amps are a bit more sensitive. Tell us what amp you're running and someone ought to be able to tell you if that amp has known issues or may be unreliable.

They are 12" Dub Editions, didn't see any brand marks, but I'm pretty sure they are the Audiobahn's cuz they are the exact same as the ones of that type on eBay. Individually they are each solid 3.0 ohm, and in Series Parallel they are 3.2 ohms. Even took it all apart and went over my wiring and it was correct.

The amp is a Dual XIA460, so far the only Dual product that I've seen that is CEA 2006 certified... And I'm sure it does more than it says on it, even goes to 44 of 50 on with out clipping an sounds comparable to some 400w amps I've had... But that's beside the point, it's a pretty good stout amp for what I paid for the 2 I have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.