3 ohm speakers....

Participant count
  • Participant list
You'll be fine. Rise will bring you over 2 ohms. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks. That is what I figured but I wasnt sure if there was a chance for the amp to see the lower load ever and put it into protect

you're measuring DC Resistance, not Impedance. Impedance varies with frequency and is affected by the free air resonance and inductance of the voice coil. DC resistance has many factors that influence it's measurement, even your DMM leads and the quality of your DMM. A $200 Fluke will me more accurate than a $20 Radio Shack model. Accuracy costs money. You're also measuring the resistance in the wire and connections you made to wire the coils in series.

example of an Ultra Subs LV10 4 ohm sub:

Ultra10specs.jpg

Thanks. That is what I figured but I wasnt sure if there was a chance for the amp to see the lower load ever and put it into protect
Very possibly. "Rise" is only valid if you only play a known frequency test tone. Your amp may "see" that 1.5ohm often. SO the answer is really it depends on the amp how forgiving it is. Many woofers that are labeled "4 ohm" by the manufacturer do have DCR of 3 and change....also some 3 ohm woofers actually have DCR of very close to 3.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.