2015 Fusion - 270 amp alternator - future build help!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

aaalex0726

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, I'm new to this group and ran into an issue that i cant find many answers on. So I have a 2015 fusion that i already installed an upgraded 270A alternator on. I plan to install a crescendo 5500 with a 15" Fi BTL. Before starting obviously i wanted to do the big 3. This is where things get tricky for me.. I know these newer fords have, what they call, a smart charge system. To me, this monitors when and how much the alternator needs to charge the battery, etc. However, with the upgraded alternator, I'm not sure how to route anything without it throwing a battery light and messing up the charging system all together. I'm not sure if there is a module that controls this or what. Is there anyone out there that has overcome this issue successfully? Anything is greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Looks like the smart charge system is to prolong the life of the battery, the alternator, and improve emissions by doing most charging during cold conditions. That video runs through the wiring diagram and what needs to communicate with what to keep that system working as intended.

Looks like the smart charge system is to prolong the life of the battery, the alternator, and improve emissions by doing most charging during cold conditions. That video runs through the wiring diagram and what needs to communicate with what to keep that system working as intended.
[/QUOTE]

I literally just found that video as well. I'm still curious if having an aftermarket alternator/system will change the way things need to be done at all.

I literally just found that video as well. I'm still curious if having an aftermarket alternator/system will change the way things need to be done at all.

From what I can tell it doesn't need to be, the plugs are going to be the same. The differences are in how it behaves, but the alternator is just a dumb device that does what the charging system tells it to do. The only important difference between that and a normal alternator is that it can burn up regular wires, but you said you did the big 3 so you're good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.