Difference between these two amps' bass boost?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey guys, my first post here but this problem has me annoyed and stumped and I need some feedback from those more well-versed in car audio than me.

My issue started when I switched from a Punch series Rockford Fosgate (P1000x5) 500W RMS @ 1 ohm to a Rockford Fosgate Prime series (R2-1200X1) 1200W RMS @ 1 ohm

I also use a LOC from the rear deck spears

My Enclosure is 2.4 cubic feet sealed birch with a double front baffle and sound deadened on the inside while the subwoofer is a 15" Hertz SX 380D (1000W RMS):

Before I switched amplifiers I never noticed that my speaker leads on the passenger side were swapped and I guess despite being a self-canceling signal the system sounded great. I can only assume the Punch series amp had some sort of mitigation for that issue because when I plugged in the Prime amp it would do the characteristic "way low volume until a left to right sweep in the song, where it would destroy your ear drums" thing. I swapped the wires to the correct polarity and now assuming it's all hooked up correctly I can't get half of the play I used to from the bass boost on the other amplifier. I saw on the product pages that they supposedly both have the same boost range (0-18dB) but the Punch was at 55% boost while the new one needs honestly more than 100% to sound the same. Since it's a sealed enclosure I can't get enough low end to be satisfied with it and that's the motivation for purchasing the new amp in the first place but now with the bass boost the way it is I have to choose a genre to sound the way it used to (but a little louder which is what I wanted) since the boost is max and the gain is basically 0 with how powerful the signal from the LOC is. If I raise the gain it will ruin D&B and bass guitar balance, but if I lower it then low end bass rap songs won't give the quality boom I was hoping for.

Question and TLDR: Do these two amps really have a significant difference on Bass boost and also is there any way to gain more flexibility with the new one's bass boost? Maybe it's the sealed enclosure's resistance to high volumes that's causing the issue? Maybe some how the mitigation for an out of polarity allowed the illusion of more bass boost some how for the Punch series? I'd really like to figure this out, so any insights would be very welcome. Also, please let me know if there's any issues with this setup. I'm experienced with cheaper setups ($350 total investment), but this new equipment in my new car is far beyond the price ranges I've been dealing with until now ($1100 total investment).

Do you have your subwoofer connected like this? If not, you need to connect it like this and run the wires correctly to the amplifier. It should have no problem at that point moving that sub. If it does, you may have to re-adjust the LOC to the amp using the C.L.E.A.N. lights on the amp.

1-ohm.jpg

Do you have your subwoofer connected like this? If not, you need to connect it like this and run the wires correctly to the amplifier. It should have no problem at that point moving that sub. If it does, you may have to re-adjust the LOC to the amp using the C.L.E.A.N. lights on the amp.

1-ohm.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do, the resistance is 1.35 unloaded which seems good. It does a good job moving the subwoofer, but I feel like it clips earlier than it should and the bass boost is pretty weak compared to what I would expect. As for it clipping early I hope it's down to the fuse starving it for power but I could be wrong (100A fuse but 200A is recommended by Rockford). It's my first sealed system so I may be expecting too much power but it's barely louder than the old amp if it is at all. I should expect a noticable difference between a 500W and 1200W amp, no?

Do you think it's worth doing a noise comparison like with spectrum on my phone? I haven't tried that yet, so maybe the noise difference is actually more than I remembered after the 20 minutes of installation and setup for the new one. I just remember that it didn't overpower my previous speaker settings even though it's clipping at a lower volume from the head unit and that was surprising. Low bass overpowering is hard but it's even clipping on some rock music with powerful kicks without drowning out the noise from my other stock speakers, it's pretty disappointing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.