want to add new speakers and amp to bose syetem

Participant count
  • Participant list

sounds_explicit

Senior VIP Member
i have after market head unit along with a harness to retain steering controls and onstar and everthing else.
now i want to replace my door speakers and add a amp.
is there another harness to use along with the one i have? or do i toss that and get something diff to bypass the amp? not sure on how to do that and then run new wires from amp to speakers

Keep what u have and just install an amp and new speakers and run new wires.
New Wires from amp to new speakers and rcas and remote wire to aftermarket head unit Ect

i have after market head unit along with a harness to retain steering controls and onstar and everthing else.
now i want to replace my door speakers and add a amp.
is there another harness to use along with the one i have? or do i toss that and get something diff to bypass the amp? not sure on how to do that and then run new wires from amp to speakers

It's best to leave all of the factory wires alone if you can help it. For door speakers you'll run RCAs from the HU to either under a seat or in the trunk for an amplifier. The amp will need power directly from the battery and a ground, then you'll run the speaker wires through the door via the rubber tube near the hinge on the doors, you'll likely need to take apart the dash to get access to the interior side of the tube and then you may need to temporarily peel some of your door's water seal to reach in and get it on the other side. You may already have the harness you need if you have aftermarket speakers, stock speakers usually have a different configuration for the terminals while aftermarkets are much more standardized. I don't know what you mean about bypassing the amp.

It's best to leave all of the factory wires alone if you can help it. For door speakers you'll run RCAs from the HU to either under a seat or in the trunk for an amplifier. The amp will need power directly from the battery and a ground, then you'll run the speaker wires through the door via the rubber tube near the hinge on the doors, you'll likely need to take apart the dash to get access to the interior side of the tube and then you may need to temporarily peel some of your door's water seal to reach in and get it on the other side. You may already have the harness you need if you have aftermarket speakers, stock speakers usually have a different configuration for the terminals while aftermarkets are much more standardized. I don't know what you mean about bypassing the amp.
so i have the bose system and when i installed my aftermarket head unit i used a harness to retain my steering wheel controls onstar etc. so would i have to bypass the factory amp to install a new one is what im asking.

lemme ask this q then. if you installed aftermarket hu with harness to retain what i have. then wanted to introduce a new amp for door speakers, how would you go about doing that when i already have a factory amp for the speakers. doesnt the signal go through the factory amp before it gets to the speakers? so would i have to bypass the factory amp? or do i just unhook the speakers connectors on old speakers install new ones and run new wires from amp to the new speakers? and just supply the new amp with a remote connection for signal? not sure how the factory system supplies signals. i just dont want to have a problem getting a signal from a amp'd factory amp if that makes sense. but if im thinking correct i can just unhook old speakers let the wires just dangle in the door and add new speakers and run new wires?

if so then i lose all my steering wheel controls, onstar and everything else since that harness was directly plugged into my factory speakers through the harness.. so im confused on how to add this amp and keep what i currently have also.

Run rcas from your aftermarket radio to your aftermarket amplifier/amplifiers ... then pull speaker wires from aftermarket amps to aftermarket speakers .. remove BOSE speakers so they can be put back in vehicle if you decide to return to stock to sale . If no plans of selling the vehicle put the Bose speakers in the aftermarket speaker box .. then sell them at a garage sale so some nut purchasing them can put them on ebay as NOS in the box speakers ...and scam some unsuspecting buyer ....

All your wiring from aftermarket adapter will remain the same this way.. so you won't loose your steering wheel controls.. you will have to install maybe a cb radio external speaker under the dash if you want to retain onstar though .. because you'll no longer be using the deck power with weak bose amp

so i have the bose system and when i installed my aftermarket head unit i used a harness to retain my steering wheel controls onstar etc. so would i have to bypass the factory amp to install a new one is what im asking.

lemme ask this q then. if you installed aftermarket hu with harness to retain what i have. then wanted to introduce a new amp for door speakers, how would you go about doing that when i already have a factory amp for the speakers. doesnt the signal go through the factory amp before it gets to the speakers? so would i have to bypass the factory amp?

Yes you'd route around the factory amp entirely unless you wanted to use any of the speakers on that amp. Do any bypassing through the head unit wires or the converter harness wires rather than an original car wire. If you want to continue using the tweeters with the bose factory amp you'll just bypass the door and rear speakers by severing the connection on the wire between the wiring harness and the head unit, so 4 wires total. After those 4 wires are snipped use heatshrink on the ends overlapping a little bit then heat it to seal.

or do i just unhook the speakers connectors on old speakers install new ones and run new wires from amp to the new speakers?

You pose 2 valid ways of doing it, you could of course just bypass the factory speaker wires by unplugging the speakers, but I personally would do it the way described above. There's not much of an issue with just unplugging the speakers only, but I don't like the idea of the amp processing signals that aren't being used for its whole service life, everything takes power and if it's clipping you'll never know on those channels. The most important part of all this is going to be retaining the door chimes and onstar, but that's determined by the completeness of your wiring harness.

not sure how the factory system supplies signals. i just dont want to have a problem getting a signal from a amp'd factory amp if that makes sense.

Once you do all that you'll run new speaker wires to the doors and also new RCA cables as well as the remote power to the new amp from the head unit. The factory head unit supplied high outputs as if it was off to a speaker but with the upgraded package it goes into bose's amplifier and might also undergo some equalization or signal processing inside the amp which takes the high output and gives it a little more volume range and avoids clipping better than the head unit on its own. Because it's high power signal to the bose it's also resistant to any interference in the line signal.

but if im thinking correct i can just unhook old speakers let the wires just dangle in the door and add new speakers and run new wires?

Yes, you'll need new wires. The old ones will just be there in case you want to sell the car in which case you'll put the bose speakers back in with the old wires and swap the head unit and remove the custom harness. After that it will be completely stock with minimal effort.

if so then i lose all my steering wheel controls, onstar and everything else since that harness was directly plugged into my factory speakers through the harness.. so im confused on how to add this amp and keep what i currently have also.

The only wires you'll be concerned about with your amp addition will be 5 old wires (FLDoor+, FLDoor-, FRDoor+, FRDoor-, and the remote on cable). The 4 speaker ones will be snipped and heatshrunk on the aftermarket harness/new head unit wire portion and the remote on cable will be spliced (if it's in use by the factory amp) or just crimped to a new wire (if it's not in use currently). Then you'll add RCAs and route it to the amp for signal and once you've got power from the battery to the amp and new speaker runs you'll be in business.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.