2007 Grand Marquis Ultimate - Build Log

Bun-Bun
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Saskatoon
Alright its finally happening... 6 months in dreaming (car is 6 months old) 6 months without subs (traded in my old car and ripped out the stereo) and I am finally in a possition to be able to do this install...

So here it goes!

All I have done to date (did it today actually) is the BIG 3. Without further adue... PICS!

For the entire gallery see http://pics.livejournal.com/bun_bun/gallery/000142qz

0011fdya

Stock wiring... gotta love it. At first I was impressed with the stock wiring... all 4GA! but! if you look closely there at that black peice between the red stuff... yup thats right... 8 GA connect two 4GA... grrr. WHY!??!??! Oh well doesnt matter no more.

0011h7a4

going for the sorta stock look... even got the starter soilenoid wire running in there and it looks really sweet all mounted up.

0011wptr

0011zk8y

001209et

0012203c

001231sa

And there you have it... BIG3!

Completely replace stock wiring. 1/0 from batt to starter, alt, and block. 4ga from batt to body and fuse box (like 4" runs). Already I noticed a difference when I roll down my windows. Before if I rolled down/up more then one window you could hear the motor slow down and strain. Now they stay full power even with all four rolling up with the sun room closeing!

Next week I am running 1/0 from the alt (pos and neg) to the trunk to connect to my HC1400. Also installing a stinger isolator relay and hopefully running all my speaker wire and interconnects... sub box sometime after that.

Let me know what you think thus far!

BTW Yes I am redoing the tape by the battery... looks god awful...

Tell me that the Big 3 is not the easiest thing to do in that car. I got a 04 Crown Vic and everything is so easy to get to. My Battery - to ground is so short I prob could have solder two 0/1 gauge rings together for it lol.

What are you planning to run for the rest of the system? Nice pics so far.

Tell me that the Big 3 is not the easiest thing to do in that car. I got a 04 Crown Vic and everything is so easy to get to. My Battery - to ground is so short I prob could have solder two 0/1 gauge rings together for it lol.
What are you planning to run for the rest of the system? Nice pics so far.
While the new MGM's and CV's are fairly easy to do Big 3... nothing beats my 75 LTD lol.

No the MGM was very easy. It was a little tight getting to the starter but nothing crazy. I cut my knuckles more cleaning the engine bay then I did running the cable lol. I do love how the fuse box is right there in front of the battery though, so sweet. Every peice of electronics in the car goes though that box and that short 4GA wire there. I didn't feel the need to put 1/0 there cause it is so short and my stereo will get seperate 1/0 power and ground runs to the back straigh from the alt.

The rest of the system right now is going to be a HC1400 batt in the trunk with some 1/0 going to ground and power knu konceptz distro's. Up next to the spare tire in the trunk I am going to install my Alpine PDX4.150 and Memphis 1000D amplifiers. For now I will be running some Memphis PR Coax's (6.5" O/S) in the front and some M-Class 6x9's in the back. once I have some cash I will be upgrading to either HSK165's or MLK165's in the front. For subs right now I will be putting in my 4 10" Memphis PR's but I plan to upgrade to 2 12" DD 2500's again as soon as I have some cash. Right now I am focusing on install more then components. With the install in place the individual components are easier to put in.

Very clean and nice car too. Got any pics of the car?

Also question about those battery terminals. I was thinking about getting some of those or the next step down that knu sells. Do they have some way to pop the cover off and attach a battery charger or jumper cables? or would I be SOL if I needed to do something like that with those terminals?

Not to hate on the terminals man i had em but wasn't a fan of em really. Buss bars FTW:D. but over all man looking good and clean.

any updates?
Well I have been doing a lot of work and taking pics... just havent had time to upload them yet!

I got the cable run to the trunk for my HC1400, built my amp rack, mounted the HC1400, ran interconnects and speaker cable, installed 6x9's in the rear deck (made MDF baffles), and yeah... lots of stuff lol

Hopefully this weekend I can get started on my sub box and upload some pics!

Looking clean so far man very nice looking good. keep us updated.
Thanks!

Very clean and nice car too. Got any pics of the car?
Also question about those battery terminals. I was thinking about getting some of those or the next step down that knu sells. Do they have some way to pop the cover off and attach a battery charger or jumper cables? or would I be SOL if I needed to do something like that with those terminals?
I'll take some pics of the car this weekend and post them with the rest.

I never really thought about it... in my case I would just hook up jumper cables to my isolator and a bracket on the engine. I would think you would scrath the finish on the blocks if you tried to put any kinda of jumper/charger clamps on them.

Not to hate on the terminals man i had em but wasn't a fan of em really. Buss bars FTW:D. but over all man looking good and clean.
I like em... they look sweet and the compression fittings are a god send. But yes for praticallity and easy of use ring terminals and buss bars are a good way to go. If going for maximum power its the only way to go. But I am going for a clean good looking install =D

I'll take some pics of the car this weekend and post them with the rest.
I never really thought about it... in my case I would just hook up jumper cables to my isolator and a bracket on the engine. I would think you would scrath the finish on the blocks if you tried to put any kinda of jumper/charger clamps on them.
I like em... they look sweet and the compression fittings are a god send. But yes for praticallity and easy of use ring terminals and buss bars are a good way to go. If going for maximum power its the only way to go. But I am going for a clean good looking install =D
Thats what I was worried about, I wasn't sure if you could pop the cover off on them and be able to connect to them or not. I'm also looking for a clean install (hopefully half as clean as yours and I will be happy) but would really like to keep that functionality.

Thats what I was worried about, I wasn't sure if you could pop the cover off on them and be able to connect to them or not. I'm also looking for a clean install (hopefully half as clean as yours and I will be happy) but would really like to keep that functionality.
Well the plastic covers come off easy enough. And you could clamp jumpers to the 20mm compression fittings without much harm I would think... just don't try to clamp to the main unit as it would just get all scratched.

Though I never need a jump and if I was jumping someone I would probably just use my rear battery lol

For subs right now I will be putting in my 4 10" Memphis PR's but I plan to upgrade to 2 12" DD 2500's.

do 2 9515's. thats what i wanted to do before i bent the frame on my 01 Marquis. i missed that car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

had 1 9515 in there. it was loud.

why did you want the ultimate? for the air suspension?

want to trade for my Caddy?

For subs right now I will be putting in my 4 10" Memphis PR's but I plan to upgrade to 2 12" DD 2500's.
do 2 9515's. thats what i wanted to do before i bent the frame on my 01 Marquis. i missed that car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

had 1 9515 in there. it was loud.

why did you want the ultimate? for the air suspension?

want to trade for my Caddy?
I would need to seriously upgrade my amp then. And really the 4 10's are loud enough for me but lacking in SQ. 2 12's or 1 15" will give me more flexibility in box design and I can run 2 12's @ 1 ohm on my current amp.

I got the ultimate edition because it had all the features I wanted minus 1... the dual exaust. Which I would replace the stock dual exaust anyway so its not a big deal.

The car is fully loaded (minus the dual exaust) and yes the air suspension was a big selling point. It is incredible how much the air suspension actually helps in cornering and what not (not to mention gives a very nice ride). the other main features are the leather interior, heated seats, power moon roof, premium audio (more like crap audio), traction control, and thats all I can remember at the moment. I love the car =D

And no thanks... I like my Marquis =D

***** you bent your frame on your 01... I bent the frame on my 75 LTD and am still looking for one to replace it... miss that car so bad. Probably the biggest reason I got the 07 MGM cause it so much similar to my old 75. Too bad my 07 didn't have the 7.5L like my 75 lol.

I would need to seriously upgrade my amp then. And really the 4 10's are loud enough for me but lacking in SQ. 2 12's or 1 15" will give me more flexibility in box design and I can run 2 12's @ 1 ohm on my current amp.
I got the ultimate edition because it had all the features I wanted minus 1... the dual exaust. Which I would replace the stock dual exaust anyway so its not a big deal.

The car is fully loaded (minus the dual exaust) and yes the air suspension was a big selling point. It is incredible how much the air suspension actually helps in cornering and what not (not to mention gives a very nice ride). the other main features are the leather interior, heated seats, power moon roof, premium audio (more like crap audio), traction control, and thats all I can remember at the moment. I love the car =D

And no thanks... I like my Marquis =D

***** you bent your frame on your 01... I bent the frame on my 75 LTD and am still looking for one to replace it... miss that car so bad. Probably the biggest reason I got the 07 MGM cause it so much similar to my old 75. Too bad my 07 didn't have the 7.5L like my 75 lol.
on mine i put the dual exaust with glasspacks. i miss the sound //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

i didn't even know there was a ultimate edition till i went to a dealer and seen one. i wish my stupid bank would of approve the loan for another Marquis.

i don't think you would want that 7.5L with gas prices now.

come on. you know you want a Caddy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

on mine i put the dual exaust with glasspacks. i miss the sound //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif
i didn't even know there was a ultimate edition till i went to a dealer and seen one. i wish my stupid bank would of approve the loan for another Marquis.

i don't think you would want that 7.5L with gas prices now.

come on. you know you want a Caddy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
My old 7.5 got just as good gas milage as my new 4.6 does in the city. Highway though... yeah the 4.6 wins.

I just love the sound of my old 460ci with its four barrell carb opened right up... miss it soo much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.