2006 Lincoln LS build log

I wanted to share my install. Goal was to keep it looking factory and clean as much as possible. Car started as 2006 Lincoln LS with factory NAV. Pioneer Head unit was installed last summer using the factory wiring, factory amps, and wire harness connection. Removed the trunk NAV system at that time. Factory 6x9 subs blew about Christmas time so I pulled the amp and started planning the upgrade. Ended up doing it in a few steps: rear deck damping and sub install, door damping, speakers and amp install, tweeter install. I'm sure that added to my total time invested but I was pretty much limited to weekend work.

Enjoy!

Frontal

OP9wEAoh.jpg

Side Shot

PVBRpLQh.jpg

Stinger Roadkill. My first time to install damping. Still have enough to do the rear doors and trunklid if the mood strikes me.

SUNrN42h.jpg

Alpine PDX-f4 Amp. Small and powerful

aHSghBCh.jpg

Kicker KSS 6.5 front channel. Did not install rear door speakers

hKFFTWgh.jpg

Kicker Comp 8" at 8ohm. Got them cheap on ebay as "new old stock". Did not get a pic before the install.

ot6dK4wh.jpg

Kicker Comp 8's with MDF mounting check. Ended up drilling a new hole to mount each one and removed the LATCH clip and used that bolt too.

FGBTq7Rh.jpg

Passenger fitment check

GLt62wYh.jpg

Driver fitment check

X0z4ecUh.jpg

Underside fitment check. Those are not the bolts I ended up using.

aJr2Fq3h.jpg

Not any deeper than factory 6x9s

9Zx08Xfh.jpg

Sound damping underside of deck. I spent a lot of time in the trunk.

WQsDLxeh.jpg

Damping installed. No pics of the factory foam under the deck. Had to cut it a little but everything fit back together well.

e2M9IjOh.jpg

Routed the speaker wires from amp to subs and crossovers along the trunk lid tension rods.

7ENtnibh.jpg

Removed the speaker cover foam

UPcTlLih.jpg

Plastic was pretty loose, so it was removed also before reinstalling the grill.

BoDDm5Vh.jpg

Passenger door factory vapor barrier.

kT2m4eMh.jpg

Passenger door exposed. Look at those holes!

7z9FFRNh.jpg

I did end up cutting a little around the speaker hole in the door panels to insure no contact with the 6.5" drivers.

mVxFO74h.jpg

Passenger door damping complete. I did the exterior skin on both doors where I could reach too.

LjDFEx6h.jpg

Driver door interior.

M7kbiUZh.jpg

Marked the holes for reuse of the factory wiring pins.

vYOPvEfh.jpg

Driver door damping complete. This one was more complicated than the passenger side but turned out well.

HiZBjyLh.jpg

Check the driver depth for possible clearance issues. I knew the kickers were shallow going into it.

d1u6WZMh.jpg

Made speaker adaptors using cheap plastic cutting boards.

q2F8nhZh.jpg

Passenger door midrange installed with the adaptors.

wdLh4UIh.jpg

Check tweeter location - sail panel would have to be surface mount.

RsNWPOCh.jpg

Check tweeter location - could be mounted like a coaxial with this Kicker system.

4FZgGSdh.jpg

Check tweeter location - did not want to cut into the door.

qVK156kh.jpg

Check tweeter location - ended up going with the dash trim panel that covers the defrost vents thanks to a tip from a facebook post.

BbC2o9Qh.jpg

Tweeter install step 1 - tape top surface and mark location on bottom of trim

TkjaxMAh.jpg

Tweeter install step 2 - drill slowly

sJuhb6Xh.jpg

Tweeter install step 3 - used Dremel to finish off the hole

0KmU6Iqh.jpg

Tweeters in place.

eOGJfzCh.jpg

Look pretty nice there too.

IXKAPimh.jpg

Ordered wiring from KnuKonceptz.com 10' tinned OFC 4 gauge with 80 amp fuse, 50' of basic 14 gauge speaker wire, 20' of 4 channel twisted RCA, ring terminals and shrinkwrap.

o6QruKJh.jpg

RCA wire size comparison. It was pretty big having all 4 in one.

k2e2nb8h.jpg

Center console routing for wiring to front of car. I considered both sides but this turned out well. Fish tape and prybar made short work of it.

EfmF2PYh.jpg

There is a nice channel in the carpet foam on the passenger side of the center console that the wires ran through.

CtQxiwuh.jpg

Review of the KnuKoncepts RCAs said the colored markers on the heads of the RCAs came off easily, so I taped them up.

BUwKlHqh.jpg

I did not dampen the trunk but may need to do the lid.

MKAM6Yzh.jpg

Driver door jamb was a mess with the electronic module in the way. Passenger side was bad too, had to loosen the fuse box to get to the door boot.

qnuPmO3h.jpg

Ended up pulling the rubber boot away from the door and jamb to make it easier to work with. Grab tool made it a lot easier to get the wires.

SBMOrdeh.jpg

Factory 4-channel amp location on driver side behind the carpet.

VFjWP3Rh.jpg

Had quite a lot of unused cables to stuff out of the way.

vZebZLhh.jpg

Used this location to install the Kicker crossovers. Did not want them in the doors.

8plsHoSh.jpg

Used a similar mounting system for the amp but the REM made this location harder to work with.

qAwCq0ih.jpg

Amp ground wire uses the factory grounding location. I ended up removing the key switch the previous owner installed on the ground wire for safety of the amp.

Pwacd9Th.jpg

KnuKonceptz wire.

iNIs4Cch.jpg

Whole car was a mess at this time.

BAO0VCTh.jpg

Garage parts pile.

eNig8mah.jpg

Final amp location visible from the trunk.

mjY1qwSh.jpg

Interior carpet on driver side covers crossovers and factory wiring mess.

98FPVcmh.jpg

Head unit removal for new wiring connection. I've done it several times now on my two cars.

IcLPOa1h.jpg

Grab tool was a lifesaver. Routed the tweeter wiring over the instrument cluster. Did not get a photo of the final wiring but did end up cutting off the factory adaptor.

o7blXX2h.jpg

Here is "done time"

ZkpCp5Rh.jpg

I ALWAYS liked the ls for some reason. I had a navigator (06 ultimate) that was great.. Thought of the ls as its little brother, lol. Clean instal! Lots around here will whine about brand choices, but let me ask you... How does it sound to YOU? Install looks professional, good job. Seriously.

I loved the LS since they came out in late 99. Bought my first one in 2005 and put 100,000 miles on it before trading it in on this 06. Just over 48k on the odometer now, only had 28k when I bought it. Not bad for a 10 year old car.

The sound is great. I know Kicker isn't high end but those KSS components sound great to me. I had an Alpine Type R setup in my last LS. The 12 had more bass than the 8's but took up too much trunk.

I loved the LS since they came out in late 99. Bought my first one in 2005 and put 100,000 miles on it before trading it in on this 06. Just over 48k on the odometer now, only had 28k when I bought it. Not bad for a 10 year old car.The sound is great. I know Kicker isn't high end but those KSS components sound great to me. I had an Alpine Type R setup in my last LS. The 12 had more bass than the 8's but took up too much trunk.
buy mine i have a 2003 with 119,000 miles

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.