To improve sound quality in car

Ahmed Fares

egypt
I bought a new pioneer cd receiver and two pioneer speakers (500w) with adding pioneer 2 channel Amplifier 400w, I bought the head-unit first and though the sound was awful compared with my older setup and the sound turned from bad to worst after buying new speakers and Amplifier (My older setup was only my car factory stereo with gigaware cassette adapter and connecting my phone & ipod touch). I was really supprised with the good sound quality of gigaware, which all other people can argue with me or disagree on that matter. I can agree about many problems with any cassette adapter, But i cant use it now becuase my head unit is only for cds or aux usb cables.

To explain more about the sound i want (I got an information about the gigaware stereo head that made from crystal, which make really good sound). I was hearing the surroundings on songs much better (like voices or other sound turn from right to left speakers), I can hear the voices in more clearer sound and the playing of any instrumentals was higher and sounds like it played in the same room not getting out from the speakers.

So, Is there any solution to get such sound quality in my car receiver? I did many searching and only what i found is to buy Audio Receiver such as Arcam MiniBlink or other devices with built-in DAC chip which will improve sound quality. Did any one tried these products in car before? I don't know if i will get the benefit of DAC chip when connecting it through aux cable?

any help please before buying and waste more money. cheers

Buying a quality receiver will help.

All recievers have DACs but some have higher quality, higher bit rate. Burr brown 24 bit DACs seem to get used in higher end models like the pioneer p80. Not sure what brand alpine uses but their higher end models use the 24 bit DAC processing. DAC is simply the digital to analog converter, so taking your digital media and turning it into a a speaker power signal which is either positive or negative hence the analog part.

Thanks for replying, But I cant understand your point about the analog part. sorry

from what I read is that my pioneer cd receiver got an DAC and I-pod touch as well but no idea about the model, so no need to get any audio receivers which will sound the same when connected through aux. if this is the matter then i'm really disappointed, can you explain more about the analog part if that helps?

Sounds like you purchased a very low quality headunit which is probably made with cheap low-bit DACs.

Buy a better head unit with 24 bit burr brown DACs for starters. Look at the pioneer deh-80prs.

Don't worry about understanding the digital to analog conversion, just know getting a better quality headunit will make a large improvement.

There are also other things that could come into play such as phase issues, eq, time alignment, and gain settings.

For more help please post all of your equipment model numbers and also describe how everything is wired. Also brand of RCA cables and speaker wire gauge will help.

the head unit is pioneer cd rds receiver fh-x775bt, i can't remmember the model number of the speakers but it's pioneer 500w and GM-3500T 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier wtih 400 Watts Max. Power.

i don't think i'll find new models for pioneer in my country, it'll be easy more if i bought bluetooth audio receiver.

i don't know that much about how my equipment are wired, i have no idea about that and also about phase issues, time alignment and speaker wire gauge.

About eq, i did some changes on it and the sound improved a little bit but that is not a solution. I used to make the 5 eq band setting to be like that (starting from bass to treble) 5 - 3 - 0 - 3 - 6 and it sounded very bad compared when i changed the mids to be like: 5 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 6 and the sound is okay but i still thinking the sound is not that right.

Sorry, I don't know. I looked at your headunit online and it should give you a decent sound especially compared to a tape player. Not sure what's going on here. Could be many things.

actually that everyone told me, but for me the sound was much better when I used gigaware in my older stereo. maybe the problem is in my ear but that's me and that's what I want. I don't know how to explain more about the sound quality I desire, but if any other gear will not be useful for my case then I don't want to waste more money.

Hi,

I did some searching for the speakers...what size did you get???...and the amp...It seems the amp is not quite what you think it is...it pumps out 60 watts RMS which is quite adequate and 200 watts max but that is max power which is more hype than useful power in general...It is also an inexpensive, in the US, amp which may or may not mean that much until you power it up.

The speakers...I looked at 6x9 3 ways and 4"...neither really impressed me regarding their specs and not hearing them means that doesn't mean much but again I'd not expect much from them especially at high volume levels.

Were I in your shoes I'd recheck my install to make sure all connections have been done correctly, grounds are good, speaker wiring is correctly connected with no loose connections. Check all stereo settings to make sure they are all set correctly, check the amp gains and cross over to make sure they are set correctly. Next, presuming all previous are correct, I'd put all audio correction settings, eq, etc., to flat and slowly start tweaking after I've given the system and my ears a chance to get used to the sound at flat settings. No need to boost or defeat any settings until you understand how it sounds at a flat base line.

Regarding speaker wires...there are arguments galore regarding this simple device and people will talk until they are blue in the face trying to convince you that special "oxygen free", etc. speaker wires provide the bestest sound ever and at a thousand bucks per foot are a deal. I've used high quality, though nothing like what I just described lol, and factory harnesses/wiring and honestly I didn't notice a difference but I'm no hearing guru and when you consider all the other noise...wind, engine, tires, etc...that we hear while driving having super duper wiring isn't going to change things much if at all compared to putting the money into better quality head unit, speakers, amp, sub etc.

Making sure your connections are secure and all connections/splices/etc. are well covered is much more important imo.

Good luck and keep us informed.

actually that everyone told me, but for me the sound was much better when I used gigaware in my older stereo. maybe the problem is in my ear but that's me and that's what I want. I don't know how to explain more about the sound quality I desire, but if any other gear will not be useful for my case then I don't want to waste more money.
no you just have a weak head unit that has zero sound quality tuning capabilities. Along with thinking that a simple speaker swap would give better sound quality. Factory speakers are tuned to work with the factory preset EQ. Most people dont know this and think that they can just swap out speakers and got horrible sound in doing so.

This is what is needed to make aftermarket speakers sound good. A proper acoustical environment along with a head head unit and decent quality speakers to really achieve some form of sound quality. That head unit you have will not do the job. The pioneer 80 prs is the head unit you need to get, its basically one of the best SQ head units out there on the market right now.

Thanks, for such help.

First, I just bought all these stuff a month ago or two and with very low budget. So it's really hard for me to get new stuff exept i can sell them first.

the size of speakers is 6x9. I have no idea about all connections in my car, I don't know what to look for or i don't want to make something wrong so i'll leave this matter for experts.

i think my amp gain is okay as said by the one who set this up, and this amp only have gain changer so no idea about the crossover option.

About audio settings i suppose it's important idea but it'll not effects that much, but i will definitely do it. i tried to do it with turning my i-pod eq and got some result but as i said before it didn't fix anything, the flat or eq off in i-pod will increase the volume of voices and other musical instruments but the bass and beats sound very bad, so i had to choose the best eq mood for me (Electronic)

i connect my i-pod through bluetooth option, and in pioneer the version is 3.0 with profiles: a2dp

i heard some good things about the new codec apt-x, so it'll matter in my case. actually i don't know if it will effect with my a2dp bluetooth receiver (if i bought external receiver with apt-x codec).

no you just have a weak head unit that has zero sound quality tuning capabilities. Along with thinking that a simple speaker swap would give better sound quality. Factory speakers are tuned to work with the factory preset EQ. Most people dont know this and think that they can just swap out speakers and got horrible sound in doing so.
This is what is needed to make aftermarket speakers sound good. A proper acoustical environment along with a head head unit and decent quality speakers to really achieve some form of sound quality. That head unit you have will not do the job. The pioneer 80 prs is the head unit you need to get, its basically one of the best SQ head units out there on the market right now.

LOL @ your suggestion. the dude bought an entry HU, a single set of entry level speakers and an amp you can get at walmart. he doesn't need an 80prs, an 80prs is way above his pay grade.

to the OP, what vehicle is this in and what speakers did you replace, front or rear?

It's seems fine for me to buy P 80prs, huge amount after changing from USD to EGP but if it will worth then i'll buy. the main problem that I can't find this one in Egypt. so I have to order from outside.

my car is Toyota yaris model 2008, I changed the rear speakers.

It's seems fine for me to buy P 80prs, huge amount after changing from USD to EGP but if it will worth then i'll buy. the main problem that I can't find this one in Egypt. so I have to order from outside.my car is Toyota yaris model 2008, I changed the rear speakers.
the 80prs isn't going to solve your problem, you'll simply be throwing money away. if you were someone who is interested in running a multi-amp system active, then the 80prs would make sense...

i think you went wrong putting your upgrades in the rear. you should upgrade the front speakers to a nice set of components and amplify those, for bonus points (much better SQ) seal and deaden the doors. run the rears off the deck and honestly with such a small car i wouldn't have much output coming from them if any at all.

the 80prs isn't going to solve your problem, you'll simply be throwing money away. if you were someone who is interested in running a multi-amp system active, then the 80prs would make sense...
i think you went wrong putting your upgrades in the rear. you should upgrade the front speakers to a nice set of components and amplify those, for bonus points (much better SQ) seal and deaden the doors. run the rears off the deck and honestly with such a small car i wouldn't have much output coming from them if any at all.
riiight. you have zero idea what a proper SQ head unit can do.

Thanks, for such help.First, I just bought all these stuff a month ago or two and with very low budget. So it's really hard for me to get new stuff exept i can sell them first.

the size of speakers is 6x9. I have no idea about all connections in my car, I don't know what to look for or i don't want to make something wrong so i'll leave this matter for experts.

i think my amp gain is okay as said by the one who set this up, and this amp only have gain changer so no idea about the crossover option.

About audio settings i suppose it's important idea but it'll not effects that much, but i will definitely do it. i tried to do it with turning my i-pod eq and got some result but as i said before it didn't fix anything, the flat or eq off in i-pod will increase the volume of voices and other musical instruments but the bass and beats sound very bad, so i had to choose the best eq mood for me (Electronic)

i connect my i-pod through bluetooth option, and in pioneer the version is 3.0 with profiles: a2dp

i heard some good things about the new codec apt-x, so it'll matter in my case. actually i don't know if it will effect with my a2dp bluetooth receiver (if i bought external receiver with apt-x codec).

You still havent commented on how you did your current install.

There is a good chance that the speakers you got installed in are way worse than your factory speakers as well and they need way more tuning to sound better and I do not see that happening with your current head unit.

Your current head unit. 5 band EQ, 16 bit DAC what else does it have? ZILCH, Nada. Just basic low pass and high pass filters loudness and bass boost.

The old head unit was optimized and had a preset factory EQ and tune to work with the old stock speakers and the stock speakers were properly installed and sealed by the factory. like in the video i showed you about the factory seal. There's a lot more going on with the car's acoustical environment. Sound quality is in the Tuning. As of now you have a 16 bit DAC lower end head unit with only 5 bands of crap EQ. What that means is you have no capability to overcome any dips and peaks that will come with your new speakers and a low quality DAC means that there's a towel blocking your music at all times.

With the 80 prs, music will automatically sound vastly clearer out of the box, even if you are just powering speakers on the head unit or your cheaper amp. It makes bad speakers sound like good speakers and good speakers sound like great speakers. The amount of tuning you can do can make car turn into a life like concert where its not just loud and clear, you can literally tell where each musician in the band is standing at all the instrumentals come to life with a whole immersive sound stage.

Its fully active capable with 16 bands of EQ. What this means is every car speaker is different and will sound different in every car. What these tuning features do is to be able to tune and account for the car's acoustics to make it just right with proper crossover points to match.

Time alignment is what you need for a proper soundstage, you know how your left driver speaker is closer to you than your right? Sound waves are not hitting your ears at the same time. Time alignment delays the speakers closest to you so that every speaker will hit your ears at the same time and what that does is create a center stage with proper stereo imaging that really makes your music come to life.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.