2002 civic on a tiny budget.

you guys need to realize i dont think someone with a 100 dollar budget would have the same sound expectations as we do. A pair of coaxials on head unit power and some bump would make most normal people happy. You guys arent helping a typical Joe basshead thats down to blow some dough, you are helping a normal typical joe.

If this was some guy saying his sister wants a bad@ss banging sound system on a flexible budget, then yeah you can steer him to spending more. But seems like his goals are just best bang for buck, make everything work for cheap.

Only cheap speakers i've heard on head unit power that was moderately acceptable was these. None offensive tweeter, decent midbass and midrange, does not need an amp to get loud or sound decent, no sub bass so it'll go good with a sub. Not enthusiast quality but most normal people would be blown away.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-G1645R-2-Way-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B00NF5EQK2

Okay, well that throws my idea out the window. I was thinking a little out-of-the box. I was thinking of you returning your Kenwood head unit (if you could) and pick up a Sony MEX-XB100BT. You would get back about $100 for the Kenwood but the Sony would have cost about $200. But, the Sony is MUCH more powerful than the Kenwood. You could have used the XB100BT to power your front stage (maybe those Lanzar MX62 coaxials) and bridge the two channels on your amp for the sub...when you get one.
But, if she doesn't listen to CDs and DOES listen to the radio, then keeping the Kenwood might be okay since it does have HD radio built into it.
She really doesn't listen to CDs at all and listens to the radio more than anything so we'll probably keep the Kenwood for the time being.

Thanks!

you guys need to realize i dont think someone with a 100 dollar budget would have the same sound expectations as we do. A pair of coaxials on head unit power and some bump would make most normal people happy. You guys arent helping a typical Joe basshead thats down to blow some dough, you are helping a normal typical joe.
If this was some guy saying his sister wants a bad@ss banging sound system on a flexible budget, then yeah you can steer him to spending more. But seems like his goals are just best bang for buck, make everything work for cheap.

Only cheap speakers i've heard on head unit power that was moderately acceptable was these. None offensive tweeter, decent midbass and midrange, does not need an amp to get loud or sound decent, no sub bass so it'll go good with a sub. Not enthusiast quality but most normal people would be blown away.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-G1645R-2-Way-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B00NF5EQK2
You pretty much explained me perfectly. Honestly, my sister could care less. She said she doesn't think the difference between stock and $100 will be noticeable. ie: Me wanting to get a cheap well balanced system at $100.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I am currently looking for subs local to go with this. I found a Polk Audio 10 DXi 4ohm but the seller won't respond. What would you recommend I do for a sub? I'll be using the kac 606 amp for now, should I just wait or is there a sub that would work?

Edit: I found a Polk Audio DXi 10" Svc 4 ohm for $30 local. Anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
no.

She really doesn't listen to CDs at all and listens to the radio more than anything so we'll probably keep the Kenwood for the time being.
Thanks!

You pretty much explained me perfectly. Honestly, my sister could care less. She said she doesn't think the difference between stock and $100 will be noticeable. ie: Me wanting to get a cheap well balanced system at $100.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I am currently looking for subs local to go with this. I found a Polk Audio 10 DXi 4ohm but the seller won't respond. What would you recommend I do for a sub? I'll be using the kac 606 amp for now, should I just wait or is there a sub that would work?

Edit: I found a Polk Audio DXi 10" Svc 4 ohm for $30 local. Anything?
basically any single 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm sub will work, That GRS from partsexpress or the polk you found both will work just fine. All the sub is there to do is fill in the low end, which you can achieve pretty easily in a sealed box. You can put a 80-100hz high pass filter on in the head unit which blocks the door speakers from playing bass while the subwoofer takes care of all the bass( subwoofer low pass around the same as the high pass) which reduces the stress on the door speakers. The brand is not important as the positioning of the box inside the car and box design.

ignore everything boomingrandpa says, he has zero experience with anything, just regurgitates everything anyone else says but very incorrectly. aka village idiot on this forum literally ignore him and you'll be fine.

I'll pick up the first thing that checks out local preferably for the sub. Like I said I'm just going to be running it through my little amp so it's not going to be anything special.

But now I I have the equipment picked out, installation is next. I don't really understand the whole amping thing. What goes where, will I have to pull the Hu to install a sub/amp, do I just throw the new speakers in where the old ones were?

I'll have more questions and pictures of the car later tonight or tomorrow.

I'll pick up the first thing that checks out local preferably for the sub. Like I said I'm just going to be running it through my little amp so it's not going to be anything special.
But now I I have the equipment picked out, installation is next. I don't really understand the whole amping thing. What goes where, will I have to pull the Hu to install a sub/amp, do I just throw the new speakers in where the old ones were?

I'd install the door speakers first, throw the speakers exactly where the factory speakers are, you can use the stock wiring. Make it fit perfectly, make sure there are no holes or gaps. If you can, use some weather strip foam from home depot to recreate the factory baffle Its not necessary but it makes a difference.

After the speaker install, i'd test to make sure each speaker works. If they dont work then your stock speaker wiring went bad and you'll need to run new wire from the head unit to the speakers.

you will need to pull the head unit out to run RCAs from the head unit's sub out to the amplifier to get signal to the amp so it knows what to play. Your amp only has one rca output so on the head unit you need to find out how to turn the subwoofer signal to mono instead of stereo.

You will also need to run the small blue remote wire from the remote lead of the head unit to the amp as well to tell the amp to turn on when the car turns on.

You'll need to run the positive wire from the front battery, if you can find a fire wall grommet under the driver's side then go through there, if not, you can drill a hole either through the fire wall or the trunk bed(run wire under the car, zip tie it etc..).

Learn to make a proper ground (youtube it.)

Then its pos and pos, neg to neg relatively simple.

when u get the kenwood u will have to connect the rcas to the sub preout on back of it.. u can use the factory wires for speakers if factory speakers are there it's possible u will have to change the end of the wires

ignore everything boomingrandpa says, he has zero experience with anything, just regurgitates everything anyone else says but very incorrectly. aka village idiot on this forum literally ignore him and you'll be fine.

What a quote.... lmfao!

nppbELx.jpg

Wow

Op... seriously, who would you listen to? Over 15,000 posts and a member since 2013 or the guy who jumps on EVERY thread?.. the guy who has been around for a year and has 5300 posts?

Really?

jubPPIv.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.