Best use of this trunk space?

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
Currently have the setup listed below in my sig. Had a SUV prior with the GCONS in a 6 cube ported box (miss it). Obviously that wouldn't fit in my new car so I attempted to make my first box. Made a sealed box because I didnt have a big enough trunk for a proper ported box for both of the 12's and I heard heard GCONS do well sealed. Not to mention it was first time making a box or even working with wood since like... highschool lolol. I literally just measured the trunk opening and made the biggest sealed box I could that would fit through the opening lol. Its nothing like how it sounded in the previous box but It actually surprised me. they are pretty loud but only sound good/loud on some notes and the lows are not good AT ALL. box dimensions: length: 28in height: 16in depth: 18in. I put a pic below if you guys want a quick laugh at how bad it looks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif didn't know what I was doing lol.

So Im not happy I want more bass lol. My trunk space is huge this box has plenty of room to move back and forth and side to side. Its just that the trunk opening is so small even after taking the panels and weather wetness protector things off the box I made just HARDLY fit, had to really push and force it to go

So with this in mind what route do I take to get louder and sound better? I want something that can get loud and sound amazing at multiple different frequencies. I was thinking a single 12 like an IDMAX or FI Q (something that can handle my CAB 1600.1) in a big ported box built to specs. Would I be happy with something like that compared to my current 2 12's sealed? Or am I better off making/paying for a ported box for the 2 GCONS that wouldn't be near as big as what they need? My goal is SQL

What would you guys do with this car? Ive heard of building boxes inside the trunk if the opening is too small, anyone have any experience with that?

and heres the result of drinking a few beers and thinking its easy to build boxes haha

https://imgur.com/47iTv3x

Maybe if boxed separately you could slide one out of the way enough to get the second one in and build em large enough to port. It'll probably be a struggle to get 1.5ft3 per even with a aero/round but might be doable if there's space to slide one aside and get the second one in. It all depends on the trunk size vs opening size... I've gotten 2 12's into a mustang before but it was tight and requires some measurements and vision to maximize the space. I got 1.75ft3 net slot ported in seperate boxes into that car and once the enclosures were joined it looked clean and sounded great. Gcons love big airspace and I've never put em in less than 2ft3 net but it might work after all.

You could build the box in the trunk to the 12s specs. Or go infinite baffle.

bf0c51ee4525ff343fbf7c07fd32090d.jpg
1a4039ab5a4923467b1436b9f9705849.jpg
e3b172f6a4ed7c45b32be837489dfd84.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

But def face them forward and seal them to the cabin. You'll notice a significant difference
Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Nice! ya i tried facing my current box into the cabin wasnt as loud (but wasnt sealed off or ported either haha)

Nice! ya i tried facing my current box into the cabin wasnt as loud (but wasnt sealed off or ported either haha)
thats because you are in cancellation hell. Without sealing off, its one of the worse ways to position the sub. It only works if you cut off the sub from the trunk completely. No air leaks at all otherwise its a complete fkup. incident waves and reflective waves and bass traps all causing massive cancellation.

he wants music not a HT setup
Good thing home theater set ups tune way lower then that and u don’t know what your talking about. Your not loud nor will you ever be loud. All you think about is bass from the 2000s... this is 2018, get with the times. You stuck in that old school 50hz nose tickles... today’s sound we need 20hz hair tricks.

Good thing home theater set ups tune way lower then that and u don’t know what your talking about. Your not loud nor will you ever be loud. All you think about is bass from the 2000s... this is 2018, get with the times. You stuck in that old school 50hz nose tickles... today’s sound we need 20hz hair tricks.
no Im just not a moron and i listen to real music. you know with REAL kick drums that are above 40hz and REAL horns. get with the times? **** the crowd. people are morons.

HT setups are tuned between 26 and 30. to complement the cabin gain of most cars tuning above 34 is ideal. it's no guess work its call PHYSICS. you can't even tell me the REAL way to find resonance of your cabin.

I really am leaning towards ditching the gcons and getting a really nice single 12 with a good enclosure

That would be my first choice. You can of course experiment with putting a big external port on the current box as it sits just to see what those will do in the small airspace ported. Won't cost you anything besides a 10$ piece of 8" sono tube and some glue.

I really am leaning towards ditching the gcons and getting a really nice single 12 with a good enclosure
I’m not a fan of SSA woofers do to the old school tinsle leads and limited excursion. They just seem dated to me. They do sound good and a decent woofer but just not up to par with today’s big boys. I would take a single sundown Xv2 over a SSA icon or xcon all day... 1 12 in a big ported box will hammer. U could even take one of your gcons out of that sealed box and throw an aero port in it and see how a single 12 ported is going to do ya. It would give you somewhat of an idea

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.