2 way front stage ?

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
arizona
Just ordered some CDT 6x9 midbass speakers for a 2 way front stage. The tweeters I have are 1 inch silk dome tweeters. The 6x9s are 80 watts w/ a sensitivity of 89 dB. Tweeters are 40 watts w/sensitivity of 96 dB. Should I be trying to get a tweeter that is closer to 90 dB to match the woofer? The midbass speakers I have in there now are only sensitivity of 84 dB and are basically impossible to blend with these tweeters. The CDT 6x9 is the only midbass option I can find that comes in 2 ohm, so I need to match a nice compatible tweeter with it.

If you have a dsp or a way to seperately control channel levels. sensitivity should not matter
I do have a cheap DSP. The midbass speakers I have now just aren’t going to do it. I set the gains on the amp first, then I use the gain setting on the DSP to even everything out. Tweeters were at -8 gain to match with the midwoofers output. Hoping the CDT 6x9 speakers are a little better.

Making some pods will get the angle needed for the Mids. They can be installed Verticle instead of horizontal and on Axis needed to get the most out of them. I like to use a Pre-amp EQ to tune on the fly

I would suggest mounts that angle the speakers towards the center of the vehicle roof, and run then as is, if you are not not happy with the result then you may have to construct a custom crossover to your liking, you did not mention if you are going active or if your head unit has built in crossovers, / time alignment/ crossover frequencies etc. Nevertheless, you can always change the sound through dedicated crossovers. Give them a run first before being too picky about them, CDT is a reputable brand and no doubt their engineers have research and development to constantly strive for better efficiency, productivity whilst maintaining a competitive price of their item.

I would suggest mounts that angle the speakers towards the center of the vehicle roof, and run then as is, if you are not not happy with the result then you may have to construct a custom crossover to your liking, you did not mention if you are going active or if your head unit has built in crossovers, / time alignment/ crossover frequencies etc. Nevertheless, you can always change the sound through dedicated crossovers. Give them a run first before being too picky about them, CDT is a reputable brand and no doubt their engineers have research and development to constantly strive for better efficiency, productivity whilst maintaining a competitive price of their item.
I made 45 degree pods for the Dayton tweeters. I can rotate them in any direction I want. I definitely will try aiming them like you suggest. I have a DSP. Running active crossovers on a 4 channel. I have the tweeters high passed at 3000 BT24 at the moment. I’ve tried a few different ways but that seems to be decent. That’s about as low as I trust them at. The CDT 6x9s are low in the door and recessed into the door panel. I don’t have time to do glassed door panels right now, so I’m going to have to just get what I can from them until I can do some pods. The imaging on them is going to be less than ideal right off the get go.

I could possible do a 1 inch MDF spacer on the 6x9 and hack it off with my miter saw at around a 15 degree angle and fire them a little upwards. Is that something worth doing?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...