2 Quick Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ronoman
10+ year member

I ordered an AQ2200 on Black Friday.

Question 1:

How frowned upon is running 0.5ohm? With my sub setup I can only do 2ohm or 0.5ohm. I will be installing a D975 up front and a D1200 in the back. With a Singer 350a alt, I'm hoping my electrical is strong enough for it.

Question 2:

How frowned upon is mounting my amp to my sub box? I do not have anywhere else to put my amp, other than on the sub box. I want to come up with a really good way to keep the vibration off of the amp, I was thinking of doing a sheet of foam or rubber between the box and amp?

Thanks!

1st question ,you should be fine , 2nd if you cant anywhere else then a neoprene barrier then another 1/2 inch board to mount the amp to the box
How would I secure everything together? A screw from the sub box all the way to the amp? Glue the neoprene to the box and the amp?

How would I secure everything together? A screw from the sub box all the way to the amp? Glue the neoprene to the box and the amp?
put the neoprene under the piece of wood ,run a screw thru the wood to the box, mount the amp ,but also use rubber grommets on the amps feet

put the neoprene under the piece of wood ,run a screw thru the wood to the box, mount the amp ,but also use rubber grommets on the amps feet
Ahhh haa.. thank makes sense. Well that was easy.. thanks for being so fast!!

I ordered an AQ2200 on Black Friday. Question 1:

How frowned upon is running 0.5ohm? With my sub setup I can only do 2ohm or 0.5ohm. I will be installing a D975 up front and a D1200 in the back. With a Singer 350a alt, I'm hoping my electrical is strong enough for it.

Question 2:

How frowned upon is mounting my amp to my sub box? I do not have anywhere else to put my amp, other than on the sub box. I want to come up with a really good way to keep the vibration off of the amp, I was thinking of doing a sheet of foam or rubber between the box and amp?

Thanks!
That's really not much electrical support to run such a juicy amp. I'd keep the gain a bit lower if you can. Then invest in at least three more D1200s

As far as the amp on the box, it's going to eventually damage any amplifier to have it endure such constant vibration but if you have no other choice you have no other choice. I have two layers of 2x4s and two .75" layers of mdf between the inside of my enclosure and my amps and there is still vibration that makes it through. But do everything you can to prevent excessive exposure to vibration and you should be fine

That's really not much electrical support to run such a juicy amp. I'd keep the gain a bit lower if you can. Then invest in at least three more D1200s
As far as the amp on the box, it's going to eventually damage any amplifier to have it endure such constant vibration but if you have no other choice you have no other choice. I have two layers of 2x4s and two .75" layers of mdf between the inside of my enclosure and my amps and there is still vibration that makes it through. But do everything you can to prevent excessive exposure to vibration and you should be fine
Would a second D1200 help out? Because that would be all I could fit..

Do XS power's wattage ratings not mean anything? Because the D1200 can support 3000w as a second battery?

Would a second D1200 help out? Because that would be all I could fit.. Do XS power's wattage ratings not mean anything? Because the D1200 can support 3000w as a second battery?
Its only a 2200.. with a 350 amp alt your going to be doing alright. it never hurts to add some group 31s but i have a crescendo bc3500 at .5 right now with a 300 amp alt, only a ****** upfront battery and 2 old group 31s in the back that rest real low so theyre not even good and my voltage is not dipping bad at all.

Its only a 2200.. with a 350 amp alt your going to be doing alright. it never hurts to add some group 31s but i have a crescendo bc3500 at .5 right now with a 300 amp alt, only a ****** upfront battery and 2 old group 31s in the back that rest real low so theyre not even good and my voltage is not dipping bad at all.
Alright. Thats what I thought. Thanks! If my voltage is terrible then I do plan on adding another D1200.

Sorry for the bump.. but I mounted my amp to the box with layers and layers of rubber washers, foam, MDF, more foam, and some foam. But the amp makes a terrible terrible vibrating sound.. it sounds like metal on metal in the amp. I took it off and now it is just sitting in my trunk at a 30degree angle, it is the only way I can make it work without being on the box. Is it supposed to sound like that?

Here is a picture of what it is mounted on.

54Dyw6o.jpg

46JfhfJ.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.