2 15's in extended cab s-10

The other issue with ext cab s10's is the bass gets deeper with windows rolled down or door open. Guess there's no way to overcome this. @hispls, any ideas? Been told there's nothing that can be done about it.

Few things...

S10s can easily fit 15s below window. Weve done a ton of these builds for meca, when windowline was a rule (might still be). My teamate currently has a street legal box in his s10. 7cu at 34hz with something like 112" of total port.

Second, the notion about needing to breathe is true. S10 ext cabs are one of the best meca/usaci platforms for this reason. My teamate gains 5db from sealed to headrest, and 7db from sealed to kick.

They love peaking around 38-42 with daily boxes

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']The other issue with ext cab s10's is the bass gets deeper with windows rolled down or door open. Guess there's no way to overcome this. @hispls, any ideas? Been told there's nothing that can be done about it.[/QUOTE]

I can't say necessarily deeper but dramatically louder in every pickup I've ever built or sat in.

All of my pickup trucks were back in the days where we almost exclusively used sealed boxes and long before I ever competed so I just rolled with the windows down when I bumped because it sounded better. Considering sealed boxes were equally as dramatic from opening a window or door I don't think just moving subs or port around will do much. I'd also suggest that the best you can probably hope to do is just NOT gain so much extra free output with the window open.

I say this because if you could get that extra 3-4dB without cracking a window everyone would be doing it.

Perhaps someone who has done a lot of testing and metering in pickup trucks can chime in on this one.

So maybe keep the 12's and do a new box ? If there's not gonna be much gain ,is it worth the hassle

If the box in the video is yours it looks very nice. What's the tuning? What exactly do you feel you're "missing" now? What would you like to gain if you could?

Like I said all things equal you could only expect to gain 1.4dB in a perfect world for 50% more cone area and that's not even a full click on a 0-35 volume knob so you may well wind up dropping 1600$ on new subs spend 12 hours and 150$ building another box and wind up being more or less about the same loud!

Now if you've got money, like to build, and like to audition new stuff go for it, you may get lucky and hit a combo of amp/sub/box that really nails it for you, but you may be heart broken either. Not sure about the Sundown subs but the subs I use 15's don't get louder than 12's up until you get them in closer to 4 cube each, the only big benefit they'll give you below that is more power handling so if you're hitting mechanical limits on your 12's upgrading may help a fair bit more.

well im pushing them with a taramps 8k so i believe theyre at the limit , the box is made from ACX plywood im thinking to much box rise , id love to do another box with center port , is there any advantage having a aeroport ? im following you on the 15's yes if im not going to gain much or little i will not waste money if i didnt use my bed at all i have a 4th order box design already

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.