2 12" beginner setup?

guys the kid is a kid i'm just gonna let him get what he wants, we'll do all thats necessary eventually. He'll eventually learn about settin up systems, he doesn't say 2000 watts exactly but he said about 1200-2000 and he just has some preferences on the brand. nothin to get flustered about

Kenwood Excelon KDC-x994 Image Dynamics CTX65cs

PPI Art A300

(2) 12'' SSA Dcon

PPI Art A600

Knukonceptz 1/0 (big 3, power, ground)

Sound Deadener Showdown

I just found this setup using online pricing for right under $1,000. Everything brand new except the amplifiers. That is a complete system. Good luck beating that setup with the brands you're dead set on. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif
This isn't half bad except ppi isn't very good anymore and i dont like kenwood (just personaly). The only thing i would chaange is the h.u to a alpine and do different amps.

Well have the little boy read this thread. If he has to ask advice about what he should get, then he should not be stuck on certain brands. You are going to get some great advice for products that will most likely exceed his goal in mind, but they may not be the particular brands he is use to. He needs to expand his perspective and respect the opinions given to him or just figure things out on his own.

He says ok. i have to say i'm mad that he listens to you but not me, (i told him audioque HDC3's could pound on a 1200d even if alittle underpowered)

Just cuz he's 16, doesnt mean he's an idiot. You should still atleast tell the man that his goal of 2krms could cause some issues without electrical upgrades. Better to know from the begg. than to have to go fix it after ya eff something up.

As for the sub, if he's really interested in getting pretty loud, and wants to do something different than the average kid at his high school, he can try DC level 3s, AQ, or Sundown....or even better a custom built sub, then get the dustcap airbrushed or customized some way to fit him. Ish would be sick!

and please!!! tell him to go ahead and get good comps and amp them! dont be the typical high school kid with nothing but bass and nobody (not even the driver or passengers) knows what song they're listening to!!!

Just cuz he's 16, doesnt mean he's an idiot. You should still atleast tell the man that his goal of 2krms could cause some issues without electrical upgrades. Better to know from the begg. than to have to go fix it after ya eff something up.
As for the sub, if he's really interested in getting pretty loud, and wants to do something different than the average kid at his high school, he can try DC level 3s, AQ, or Sundown....or even better a custom built sub, then get the dustcap airbrushed or customized some way to fit him. Ish would be sick!

and please!!! tell him to go ahead and get good comps and amp them! dont be the typical high school kid with nothing but bass and nobody (not even the driver or passengers) knows what song they're listening to!!!
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/awesome.gif.4430a219d9aaaa6cadc75e9290979dfb.gif

This isn't half bad except ppi isn't very good anymore and i dont like kenwood (just personaly). The only thing i would chaange is the h.u to a alpine and do different amps.
Those PPI Art Series amplifiers are from the mid-90's & some of the nicest amplifiers ever made. The companies he listed have never made amps the quality of PPI Arts.

And I just prefer Kenwood because their iPod integration is head & shoulders above everyone else.

As a 2001 Saturn L200 owner, I can say with confidence that 2K RMS will do something bad to that car and its future audio gear without a good alternator. I'm running a 1K amp at about 715 watts RMS, with Big 3 in 0 AWG wire with direct ground, and a Kinetik 1800 under the hood, and I still get dimming and quick drops to 12.5V. Saturn alts are weaksauce.

I think the focus in in the wrong place here. If the budget is 1k I would say you could make a really nice 1k-1.5k system. This will actually probally get louder and tighter than a 2k system because his vehicle won't handle 2k easily without an upgraded alternator. I would say first before you get all that speakers/subs/amps spend time planning electrical and dampening for a 1.5k system. Buy sound deadner at least, and if you want some MLV tiles or CCF. Spend hours deadening spot speakers are going, dampen trunk/reardeck/doors/sidewalls and cover holes well. Next layer MLV or CCF on top for more insulation/road noise reduction. Then lets get the electrical going, get 1/0 do the big 3 first Approx 5-7ft. Then get 1/0 and a nice second battery for the trunk. Run the 2 batteries together in parallel approx 30-40ft. Now that you've got your electrical and dampening needs fulfilled come back with a budget for patch cords/amps/head unit/speakers/subs.

for the equipment if he is stuck on those brands I wouldn't get subs from rockford/SS/Kicker.....unless you guys find a good deal I don't see DD or FI fitting into the budget so DC is maybe the best option...and we have plenty of supporting vendors in here to give you some options there. For amps there are so many decent ones that will do rated, I guess for 1.5 ish I would say some MB onyx or discus whatever you can find a good deal on. Then save speakers for last in the budget see if you have enough left for a 4channel amp (you'll need another wiring kit prob 4gauge) and some components. Or at least some decent components up front and maybe coax rear fill powered by the head unit. Last but not least Try a headunit from eclipse/panasonic/kenwood/clarion. JVC are typically terrible. Also you will be looking for some main features if you are going to power the speakers from the head unit you will need a high pass filter at least on the HU a full xover would be best (HPF/LPF (front,rear,sub)). I'd recommend 4volt preouts but it doesn't matter too much. If you are doing a 4 channel and a 2chan or mono amps you will need preouts on the HU for front/rear and sub (3sets). Or if just amping the subs then at least 1 set of preouts.

A lot to consider take your time doing the install play around with different locations for things like sub/tweeters for proper staging depth/height/width. If you do all this it should turn out very well for you.

IMHO doing things his way IE: buying speakers amp subs and shooting for 2k without doing much work to the electrical will have very dissapointing results for him....and run the risk of distortion/clipping to subs and blowing them. Just my $.02 I am trying to help with constructive critisism sorry if it comes off as harsh.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.