2 10,s sealed or 1 12 ported @ 25hz

well, the great 12" challenge tested the differences of the same woofer in a ported vs. sealed enclosure; they found an 8db increase @ 35hz for the vanadium 12. Is that misinformation? You seemed to believe 3db was about all you'd get.

well, the great 12" challenge tested the differences of the same woofer in a ported vs. sealed enclosure; they found an 8db increase @ 35hz for the vanadium 12. Is that misinformation? You seemed to believe 3db was about all you'd get.
Perhaps that particular sub is designed to excel in a ported box, huh?

It's all about the t/s parameters

You can't make such a general assumption.

Actually, no...it's t/s parameters are more suited for a sealed box, though it can be run in either. Believing that porting the sub will only give you 3db is just wrong; there's a bunch of subs in the test that gained 6-8db @35hz from porting vs. sealed.

Obviously there's no hard and fast rule that ANY one 10" in a ported box will be louder than ANY 2 10"s in a sealed box....to believe that would be rather foolish.

Actually, no...it's t/s parameters are more suited for a sealed box, though it can be run in either.
Obviously there's no hard and fast rule that ANY one 10" in a ported box will be louder than ANY 2 10"s in a sealed box....to believe that would be rather foolish.
Interesting...Perhaps there was a steep rolloff in the sealed box around 35hz?

no, not a steep roll-off at all...

there's a 2db difference between 35 and 40hz...2db difference between 35 and 30hz....fairly linear as it increases another 2db from 40 to 45hz and doesn't decrease at all from 30 to 25hz.

Funny how when someone posts asking what sub to buy everyone tells them (rightfully) that the box is the most important part...but nobody wants to admit that the box really does make a huge difference in this thread.

no, not a steep roll-off at all...there's a 2db difference between 35 and 40hz...2db difference between 35 and 30hz....fairly linear as it increases another 2db from 40 to 45hz and doesn't decrease at all from 30 to 25hz.

Funny how when someone posts asking what sub to buy everyone tells them (rightfully) that the box is the most important part...but nobody wants to admit that the box really does make a huge difference in this thread.
VERY true about the box

Why dont you run two 10's ported? You coudl get two SDC2.5's in a box around 2.5cft and they would be fine. The 12" would need a similar sized box. SDC2.5s are not too expensive(129 a peice).

i think im going to stick with the 10, s sealed i like the sound of my music in a sealed box i had some alpine type E they sound real good but they would only play down to 32hz im going to the cerwin vegas vmax they are rated at 500 watts rms the directed 1500d should put about 600 watts per sub iv had ported boxs before with 15" CVX,S and CVR,S i guess i want something with the tight low bass not the big boomy spl bass

i think im going to stick with the 10, s sealed i like the sound of my music in a sealed box i had some alpine type E they sound real good but they would only play down to 32hz im going to the cerwin vegas vmax they are rated at 500 watts rms the directed 1500d should put about 600 watts per sub iv had ported boxs before with 15" CVX,S and CVR,S i guess i want something with the tight low bass not the big boomy spl bass
check out my vids (sig)....they are 10's and they hit the lows:D

I wonder if vehicle transfer function or resonant tuning had anything to do with that...

The 3db gain from sealed to ported is a general guideline not so much a rule. There are many things that would obviously effect this. see above.

Too bad were not discussing single sub to single sub comparisons.

a single ported driver is not guaranteed to be louder than two sealed drivers of the same design.

a single ported driver is not guaranteed to be louder than two sealed drivers of the same design.

No kidding, really? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif You mean all ported boxes aren't the same? All sealed boxes aren't the same? ****, i've been so confused for so long!

Guidelines that aren't actually accurate are pretty useless guidelines and not worth basing your arguments on. A good ported box design is usually going to give you more than 3db increase at tuning frequency.

Guidelines that aren't actually accurate are pretty useless guidelines and not worth basing your arguments on.
Problem is I wasn't forming an argument. Just calling a general statement someone made false.

People are too concerned with being right they miscomprehended things all the time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.