1999 Silverado Alpine Build

Nice. Love where you mounted the amps on the back wall behind the seat. I had a '99 as well a few years ago before the tranny went kabloom and there was room behind and under the seat for amps...NOT in the '08...not sure what GM did but there is NO room under or behind the seat anymore.

I will get you those pics soon. Like I said, I tried to keep mine as stock looking as possible and just didn't have the time to build my own box...yours looks sweet. Same configuration as the one I had built...but when you build your own you can squeak out every millimeter to get the biggest sub in there. I have been lookin' at the slim Alpine subs but haven't pulled the trigger as of yet.

Alright the build has come to an end. Here are some photos of the finishing stages of the build, enjoy!

My box is really oddly shaped, and I've never carpeted a box before so I figured it would be best to do it in pieces. So here is the stages of it being carpted.

IMG_0299.jpg

Started with the top, measured out the spots to cutout the pop-ups on the top

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Top all glued down

IMG_0312.jpg

Then started on the front face

IMG_0315.jpg

Here is the side that everyone would see with the door open, I tried to get it so you couldn't see any seems where people would look at the box. You can't see it in the pic, and you can barely see it in person, this side turned out great!

IMG_0314.jpg

One side of the bottom all completed, you might be able to see the seems in the picture, you can see them in person, but I'm not too worried because you won't see anything except the top, front, and the one side of the box.

IMG_0313.jpg

Working on other side

IMG_0315.jpg

And the whole box done.

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0324-1.jpg

It may be one of the worst carpeting jobs, but it was my first time, and since I knew people would only see the front, top, and the one side I didn't worry about making it perfect everywhere else, nor do I think I would have been able to get it perfect everywhere.

Before the subs go in minus the last minute wire change //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

IMG_0325-1.jpg

I decided to run a separate power wire to each amp instead of having set up running off the one 4 gauge like I did before. If you don't remember this is how it was

IMG_0739-1.jpg

The power is distributed from 4 gauge to 8 gauge which then powers the amps. Now I ran an 8 gauge for the speaker amp, and the 4 gauge powers the subs, and got rid of the distributor blocks or whatever they are called. I also moved the piezo siren down closer to the floor so that it would be heard better inside the car. This is also a good comparison of iphone4s photos to the old 3g cameras. Top is iphone 3g, bottom is 4s. Now its not the best 4s photo I've taken but the clarity and light on it is a lot better than the 3g.

IMG_0344.jpg

Each amp has its own ground. Here is a picture of it all installed, bolted down and everything. Sorry for the darkness, I will upload a couple photos of it in the daylight with the seat back in, as well as some videos.

IMG_0354.jpg

Now for some nice "ambiance" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif And in this picture you can barely see it, but there are two shiny things on top of the box, those are the bolts holding it down. It does not budge, nice and secure.

IMG_0355.jpg

Thanks! As far as listening goes, its loud. It has clean crisp bass, and it does pretty well picking up the lows for a sealed enclosure. I really like the sound quality overall of the install, I was able to tune the amps so now the speakers aren't taking any of the lows, just the mids and highs, and the subs pick up all the low notes. Overall I'm very satisfied! On the whole carpeting thing, I was not a fan. It wasn't fun, nor was it easy to do on my box. I think I did alright for the first time, and would have done a lot better had my box been the conventional rectangular box.

I carpeted one small sealed enclosure before. It was oddly shaped but it turned out alright. I didn't have fun doing it and I'd say it was more frustrating than anything. That's looking good though. Keep it up!

yeah i'd definitely say the carpeting looks great, i can only hope mine ends up that well if I ever even get there ... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

also, you say the build has come to and end......but give it 3 or 4 months and I bet you find yourself wondering "hmm, what would happen if I _____" and stuff will start happening again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Maybe the pics don't do it justice but your carpeting job looks damn good to me...I think you could give Ish on Street Customs a run for his money! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Looks great...you planning on putting the rear seat back in? Would love to see that.

Also, could you list your other components? You know, H/U, mids, tweets, etc.

yeah i'd definitely say the carpeting looks great, i can only hope mine ends up that well if I ever even get there ... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
also, you say the build has come to and end......but give it 3 or 4 months and I bet you find yourself wondering "hmm, what would happen if I _____" and stuff will start happening again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif
Haha lol I'm going to try to not let that happen, but it somewhat already has, I was thinking the after I tuned it, what if I found another pdx 1.1000, that way I would be able to have plenty of power for both subs. For now though, I think I'm satisfied with the car audio aspect. There are some cosmetic things such as the lights in the dash, I would like to attempt the mod you did and change them to blue, my cluster was simple its just bulbs, so I ordered led replacements.

Maybe the pics don't do it justice but your carpeting job looks damn good to me...I think you could give Ish on Street Customs a run for his money! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Looks great...you planning on putting the rear seat back in? Would love to see that.

Also, could you list your other components? You know, H/U, mids, tweets, etc.
My head unit is a Valor IDA-700W, a 7" flip up dvd player with an auxiliary input. Up front I have some cheep 6.5" kenwood components (it was free and they have an 80rms rating so I'm not complaining), in the rear I have 5.25 Image Dynamics components with the crossovers, powering the speakers I have the pdx4.100 and running 16gauge speaker wire to all the speakers. I have some kenwood dome tweeters that have been in the truck since I bought it, maybe one day I will replace those along with the A-pillars.

And the pics don't do justice, it looks great from all the spots you can see when its in the truck, but on the parts of the box you don't see, such as the bottom and rear it looks pretty bad, but its all good because you don't see those spots, that's why I didn't worry too much about getting it perfect.

@Ej, the carpeting was definitely frustrating.

I've been watching this one from the beginning and you've come a long way. This looks great man, good job, you should certainly be proud of your work here, especially for a first timer. That's great to hear you're so pleased with the output. And I think the carpet looks good, especially where it counts. Any plans to upgrade the headunit or front speakers in the future?

Thanks, I might upgrade the hu in the future, but for now it works. I haven't had any problems with it, however I would like a usb input. Front door speakers won't be upgraded unless they blow, which they most likely will in a long time, but for now they work and I have college to focus on so I won't be doing too much work to it.

Thanks, I might upgrade the hu in the future, but for now it works. I haven't had any problems with it, however I would like a usb input. Front door speakers won't be upgraded unless they blow, which they most likely will in a long time, but for now they work and I have college to focus on so I won't be doing too much work to it.
I feel ya, I'm a broke college boy too haha. I guess as long as the HU is working you're good. I love my Kendwood x-994 I just got. USB, aux, and Bluetooth.

That looks really good..........You got talent!!!!!
Your Avatar made me cringe >.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.