1999 Silverado Alpine Build

Nice job bro. I don't see why you are being a little hard on yourself with the carpeting job and the build. I was going through the pictures of you carpeting and I was thinking to myself, I need this guy to carpet my next box. lol
I must say, you showed an insane amount of patience and attention to detail. My biggest downfall is once I get the stereo done, I just want to slap it in and hear it, then once I hear it, I dont want to take it out and take care of the details.

If this is really your first build, I must say, probably the best first build I have seen.

I had a pair of those Type R's ported in my Grand Am GT. I personally would have went with two Type R 10's ported over the 12's sealed, but from what you are saying, you are very pleased and that is what matters. This was one of the best sounding and loudest stereo systems I have had. This was my first true custom build where I took my time and tried to make it look custom. I think yours turned out better than my first install.

P1010081.jpg
Thanks! I appreciate it! I was hard on myself for the carpeting job because I did a bad job in the spots that you can't see(which isn't a big deal), but the seams are a little more visible in person. And as far as the two ported 10's vs the sealed 12's I would do that with the hindsight I have now. I realized that ported makes a huge difference with the type r's after I put one in a sealed box in a friends car, his is almost as loud as mine and its more underpowered than mine are. However, the sound quality of his is a lot worse. But I'm not going to dwell on what I could have done, I did what I did and I'm satisfied with the outcome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

On another note, I'm jealous of your truck. I totally know how you feel with the whole space issue, it's a pain! At the end of the day, I would rather have space issues involving car stereo and drive a truck, than drive a car or suv and not have space issues. (just my own opinion, I love driving a truck)

Thanks! I appreciate it! I was hard on myself for the carpeting job because I did a bad job in the spots that you can't see(which isn't a big deal), but the seams are a little more visible in person. And as far as the two ported 10's vs the sealed 12's I would do that with the hindsight I have now. I realized that ported makes a huge difference with the type r's after I put one in a sealed box in a friends car, his is almost as loud as mine and its more underpowered than mine are. However, the sound quality of his is a lot worse. But I'm not going to dwell on what I could have done, I did what I did and I'm satisfied with the outcome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gifOn another note, I'm jealous of your truck. I totally know how you feel with the whole space issue, it's a pain! At the end of the day, I would rather have space issues involving car stereo and drive a truck, than drive a car or suv and not have space issues. (just my own opinion, I love driving a truck)
I'm assuming you meant to say ported instead of sealed in your wording in bold above.

Generally, you can send more wattage to subs if they are sealed and less if they are ported. Ported boxes are more efficient.

But hey, like I said, if you are happy, then thats all that matters. Maybe later on down the road, you will want to change it up and now that you have a complete build under your belt, you could always go with two 10" subs ported. Its car audio man, it happens all the time; people changing up their system. Its addictive.

Also, you said that in his car, it was louder, but didnt sound as great. Do you know what his box was ported to? Reason I ask, is because I'm surprised that the SQ would go down that much for you to say that. The Type R 12's really shine and are designed for a low tuning. The lower the tuning, the better they sound and I mean that both in loudness and sound quality. When I ran my 2 Type R 12's, I believe I tuned it to 31hz. And yes, you read that correctly, they are louder the lower in tuning you go, within reason obviously. I had my Type R 12's in a 35hz tuned box with the same box volume and it was no where near as loud as my box with the tuning of 31hz. Normally, you would tune a box higher for SPL competitions, but for the Type R's, they really hit those high DB numbers at a lower tuning.

And thanks for the compliment on my truck. Check out a thread I just posted regarding the new exterior enhancements I made. Check it out here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-interior-exterior-enhancements/534962-2008-gmc-sierra-1500-sle2-converted-denali.html#post7911438

Yes I meant ported, or vented I should say. His box is a cheap pre-fab box I think it's 1.65ft^3 which is smaller than recommended. And I don't know what it is tuned to that's the part of car audio I don't understand or know how to check. When I say sounds worse I mean it's not as crisp as mine, his sounds a little like its been muffled, only picking up low notes. It sounds kinda like my kickers did. I would say it has bad sq just not the type of sound I want in my system, like it just doesn't sound as clear as mine do.

Yes I meant ported, or vented I should say. His box is a cheap pre-fab box I think it's 1.65ft^3 which is smaller than recommended. And I don't know what it is tuned to that's the part of car audio I don't understand or know how to check. When I say sounds worse I mean it's not as crisp as mine, his sounds a little like its been muffled, only picking up low notes. It sounds kinda like my kickers did. I would say it has bad sq just not the type of sound I want in my system, like it just doesn't sound as clear as mine do.
That crappy sound comes specifically from being in a cheap, undersized, high-tuned pre-fab box :p A good size and designed one would really shine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.