Messy system...need advice for new system/setup

rock2593
10+ year member

I have a 2008 G35x sedan

My set up now: Factory Head Unit(non-Bose upgrade), Two Alpine 10" type e Subs in a sealed box with a Rockford p300-1 amp and set up behind that is one JL 10" PowerWedge Max in a sealed box that includes a mounted J2-250.1 Amp.

Goals/Ideas I have: My main goal is to clean up my system and get better sq(i.e. custom sub box, new wiring, new speakers) Firstly, I'm taking the JL 10" sub out and selling it..anyone interested? lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Definitely planning on either: 1.getting new subs and 2.Put whatever subs i end up with, either my alpines or the new ones i get, in a custom ported sub box. Next and more important to me, i want to add new door speakers, i definitely plan on getting some nice front component speakers and then possibly/probably getting some rear coaxial speakers?? and hook those with a small but awesome amp to power those babys. Reason? My stock speakers **** because the sq ***** at louder volumes, ex. vocals become crispy and usually i have to turn it down bc it sounds so bad. Im trying to be able to turn the volume up louder and have cleaner and clearer sq.

what are your guys thoughts? what kind of speakers,amp, (and if i get new subs) should i get(brand/watts)? Do you think i should get a bigger amp for my current subs?

I just like hearing everyones opinions and options in what you think will work best in my car.

budget range:$1000-$2000 (aka: i don't mind spending a couple $100 more to get the better product)

Pics of my set up:

View attachment 26531806

View attachment 26531807

View attachment 26531808

View attachment 26531809

View attachment 26531810

View attachment 26531811

View attachment 26531812

View attachment 26531813

i like the saying "lees is more" id get 1 alpine type x 12. idk about the ported box as far as sq goes. im not into sq anyway but ive always been told that sealed

boxes are better for sound quality.

Ugh... you don't need a HO alt or a bunch of amps or whatever, I dunno why people would jump all over suggesting that.

And sealed isn't necessary for SQ either, nor are you going for an SQ comp set-up.... so throw that out.

Let's start with a few questions...

How much space are you willing to give up in your trunk?

Are you able to build your own box if given a design? Are you able to do your own install?

What are your listening habits, and what music do you listen to typically?

What are your goals with your subwoofer/bass? Loud and clean? Murder the lows? Just a little extra oomph to fill in the lower frequencies?

And do you know if you have factory component speakers? (a tweeter location separate from the mid speaker in the door?)

How much, if any, modifications are you willing to do to your car? (custom fabrication in the doors or dashboard for speaker placement)

Do you want an aftermarket head unit, or are you looking to keep the stock one? If yes to aftermarket, do you want a single or double din?

Are you willing to buy used equipment or strictly new? (Don't be concerned with a warranty cus most are only valid if you buy and get it installed from an authorized dealer)

You should definitely sell those subs, and you'll probably want a bigger amp. The alpines with a box should be able to sell for like $200 on craigslist if you're patient. Same for the JL wedge.

Don't forget to factor in costs for extra stuff like wiring, big 3 wiring, installation kits, sound deadener, etc. If you're eager to get started, you can always buy some Big 3 wiring and get started on your deadener.

CTX65CS IMAGE DYNAMICS NEW 6.5" PRO COMPONENT SPEAKERS | eBay

my fav component set out there untill you get in the 400 plus range

Aura RPM4200 RPM Stage 2 Mobile Amplifier 4x50W 269-190

great budget sq amp

US Acoustics USX-4065 Car Amplifier 4 channel US built Zed SQ Amp | eBay

or old school zed amps are amazing

Flatlyne-12 D4

one of the nices sounding subs around

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and get a nice class a/b mono amp and you will have a nice sounding system

^ All that sounds good, if it fits the OP's needs...

Except the a/b mono amp, not really necessary for a sub. Maybe for an SQ comp or something, but I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference in his daily set-up. PLus that Cadence is god awful ugly :p

Ugh... you don't need a HO alt or a bunch of amps or whatever, I dunno why people would jump all over suggesting that. And sealed isn't necessary for SQ either, nor are you going for an SQ comp set-up.... so throw that out.

Let's start with a few questions...

How much space are you willing to give up in your trunk?

Are you able to build your own box if given a design? Are you able to do your own install?

What are your listening habits, and what music do you listen to typically?

What are your goals with your subwoofer/bass? Loud and clean? Murder the lows? Just a little extra oomph to fill in the lower frequencies?

And do you know if you have factory component speakers? (a tweeter location separate from the mid speaker in the door?)

How much, if any, modifications are you willing to do to your car? (custom fabrication in the doors or dashboard for speaker placement)

Do you want an aftermarket head unit, or are you looking to keep the stock one? If yes to aftermarket, do you want a single or double din?

Are you willing to buy used equipment or strictly new? (Don't be concerned with a warranty cus most are only valid if you buy and get it installed from an authorized dealer)

You should definitely sell those subs, and you'll probably want a bigger amp. The alpines with a box should be able to sell for like $200 on craigslist if you're patient. Same for the JL wedge.

Don't forget to factor in costs for extra stuff like wiring, big 3 wiring, installation kits, sound deadener, etc. If you're eager to get started, you can always buy some Big 3 wiring and get started on your deadener.
answers to your questions:

-I don't want to give up to much space because I'm sometimes hauling loads of random stuff around. so definitely more space than i have available right now. Thats why i was gonna get a custom box to fit the back of my trunk.

-Im not able to build my own box nor am i able to install anything myself, my carpentry work and wiring skills are definitely way below sub par. I have a friend who knows some people back home who are professionals at it so i can get it installed there for a lot cheaper than any audio store around here who probably charges $200 to install an iPod cable.

-i like to listen to my music pretty loud, especially when i have all the windows rolled down i like to crank it up as much as my speakers allow me before SQ becomes an issue. But i generally listen to a variety of rap, Hip hop, dubstep, and house music.

-for subwoofers I'm looking for a sub thats loud and clean that will put a little more 'oomph' in the bass compared to the two i have now. I don't need a sub thats just gonna rattle the heck out of my car if you know what i mean. thoughts on subs?

-im pretty positive that i do have factory component speakers this is what it looks like:

View attachment 26531925

-im not trying to do any unnecessary modifications.

-And I'm gonna keep the factory head unit, as of now, just because thats gonna be out of my price range since I'm trying to get new subs, custom box, and possibly new speakers.

-Im trying to buy them as new as possible. i would rather buy brand new products but am always open to great deals on very lightly used equipment.

so with this what are your thoughts? I'm definitely trying to sell all my subs and just restart my whole entire system

Get the AudioControl lc2i that's on sale right now at Crutchfiled.

- SSA Icon 10" in ~ 1.5 ported.

- Crescendo BC 2000.

- Image Dynamics 6.5" comps already linked to.

- Find a clean 100x2 2 channel amp. Too many to recommend.

- AudioTechnix 1/0 wire

- AudioTexhnix sound deadener

- XS power xs2000 battery

That will put you in the $1200-1400 range already. You can always substitute used gear and save a bundle. I would recommend some processing of some kind but I don't know how crazy you want to get with the "SQ" portion of it. If you like "loud" though, maybe look into some Pro Audio components?

Also, this might be a little more complicated then you want to get, but might I suggest a bandpass box to fire through that ski pass? It'll be a closed box so you don't have to worry about damaging the sub and the box will also be stuffed up right by the back seats and out of the way of cargo you might put back there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.